Protein fat and carbs

Kimtut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What kind of ratio should I be using if I'm on a low carb diet I'm new to this and can't seem to find any answers, thanks

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm about the same as @4ratbags but 5 carb 15 protein And 80% fat. Mostly in mono fats like avocado Evoo nuts mayo etc. salmon and tuna too. Carbs are salad veggies. Protein varies but I keep it moderate.

Reactions: Freema

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would not personally get too caught up in precise percentages, just set yourself a carb level, I use 20 grams per day, and use full fat products. Once you get things stable you can start adding foods using your meter and tweaking fats and proteins if needed. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be? As you get more comfortable with your diet and learn more you can decide which way to take things.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would set yourself a daily limit of carbs. Mine is around 150gm/day but I'm on insulin so not quite so critical. Many as you can see go way below that; your meter will guide you. Have enough protein and fat to keep you feeling full but be aware that the LCHF acronym means HighER fat not High Fat and have mix of fat types.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just eat 'normal' protein amounts, minimise the carbs (recently it has been under 20g a day), and make sure I don't go hungry. That means plenty of above ground veg, and things like butter, mayo or oil on them, because fats are far more satiating than carbs.

If you really want to got the % route then most of the numbers I have heard vary a great deal.

I find that my body whinges if I go over 5-10% carb and 15% protein, which leaves me 80% of my energy intake as fat.
Which isn't nearly as difficult as the fat-phobes seem to think it will be.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do the same. I set carbs at 20 or less, protein at 4-5 oz per day and the eat a variety of fat until SATISFIED. I don't measure or weigh fat but I do weigh my protein still because it can really raise me and carbs I can eyeball now. I used to weigh my food at all meals and that's how I know I'm 5/15/80. It just seemed to a,ways come out like that at the end of the day.

As Daibel said, it's highER fat. A couple handfuls of lettuce, some chicken or salmon on it, a few slices of avocado and a drizzle of oil is 5/15/80.
A lettuce wrap with mayo and some deli meat, cheese, a few small slices of tomato is 5/15/80.
Not hard to do and certainly isn't gobbling fat. Just cutting carbs.

As alway, test test test

ozzierojas212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm curious when some say 20g a day are you subtracting the fiber or including it in that total?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm curious when some say 20g a day are you subtracting the fiber or including it in that total?
Depends on where you are in the world.. in the UK fibre is already subtracted from the carbs and is listed separately so we don't need to subtract.. in the USA this is different and fibre s included in the total Carb figure. At least I think that's how it works...

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is only in the USA that they regard fibre as a carb. Generally, on this website, reference to grams of carbs is excluding fibre, as fibre has no effect on blood glucose.

Most people who low carb seem to aim for less than 50 grams of carbs per day. I also do this, but struggle some days. Better blood sugars and more weight loss if I can get the carbs lower.

It can also be confusing as some people refer to percentages by weight of food, and some by calories.

For example, 100grams of peanuts might have 50 grams of fat, 30 grams of protein and 10 grams of carbs............so 50/90 = 55% fat . However, that is 450 calories from fat (as 9 calories per gram), 120 calories from protein (4 per gram) and 40 calories from carbs (4 per gram). So percentage calories from fat is 450/610 = about 73%.

I aim for about 80% of my calories from fat = approx. 60% by weight...............hope that makes sense. Can only achieve this by having at least 100ml of double cream every day................yum!

MissMac

Depends on where you are in the world.. in the UK fibre is already subtracted from the carbs and is listed separately so we don't need to subtract.. in the USA this is different and fibre s included in the total Carb figure. At least I think that's how it works...
Darn! I think I have been doing it wrong then....I look at the carbs then subtract fibre content as listed on the packet....so this means that I've been underestimating my carbs??? x

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do you also count the carbs in the above ground vegs you eat ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Darn! I think I have been doing it wrong then....I look at the carbs then subtract fibre content as listed on the packet....so this means that I've been underestimating my carbs??? x
Oops maybe you have..

MissMac

Oops maybe you have..
I've just googled it and first result was Atkins and looking at net carbs which is defo carbs minus fibre....gonna do some more research now! Though to be fair...my BG is still doing ok! But if can get even better I'm on it though it's gonna be mega harder now...sad sad sad

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am thinking you are in the US right? You would need to subtract the fiber from the total carbs then. This is called net carbs and is what you would count.