Protein & Gluconeogenesis

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it has been posted before. Everyone should read it as it is very helpful and informative.

ketointheuk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
but... those statements are wrong....
gluconeogenesis is always running and up when we are in ketosis, it will turn protein in glucose always, that priority is on always for the organs that do not run on ketones (amongst which is the liver itself). And you can notoriously get out of ketosis for excess protein because of that... let's not call it chocolate cake maybe, but glucose for sure... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4050641/

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find Dr Benjamin Bikman's presentation at Breckenridge interesting - he argues that protein is not a problem (as in insulinogenic) in the context of a low carb/ketogenic diet:

Uncontrolled gluconeogenesis seems to be more of an issue in uncontrolled Type 2 diabetes.

Reactions: Pasha

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You might find Dr Benjamin Bikman's presentation at Breckenridge interesting - he argues that protein is not a problem (as in insulinogenic) in the context of a low carb/ketogenic diet:

Uncontrolled gluconeogenesis seems to be more of an issue in uncontrolled Type 2 diabetes.

Yes, a very interesting subject, and thanks Indy51 for an interesting viewing.

If pressed for time, I would say watch it from 17:21 - I was cooking and keeping warm this morning, so it may have been my cold and slow brain, but I didn't really get into it until that point, and then his points seemed to be very hard-hitting and good.

Do you or anyone else know of any specific articles or youtubes that deal with the uncontrolled gluconeogenesis from even otherwise very well controlled type two diabetes folk? How other folks with this issue might be dealing with it?