Protein

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2 Diet controlled insulin resistant,i just read on here that protein rises Blood sugar...why are we told to eat Eggs and fish and cheese when they are full of it?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Protein you may love it you may hate it but you can't live with out it.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Protein can be converted to glucose by a process called gluconeogenisis. The percent of protein converted is small, I understand in the low teens for meat, eggs etc.. It is slow process and it should be borne in mind that not all of a food item is protein so the actual quantity of protein turned to glucose is small. In my opinion it can usually be happily ignored.

The body is a fascinating mechanism and has the ability to produce glucose and other chemicals it requires from many unlikely sources. If you are eating carbs most of the glucose you use will come from the carbs. If you are very low or no carb then it is possible to go into ketosis and use body fat to produce the ketones which the body uses instead of glucose.

Protein is needed for healthy muscles, it is used to repair and grow them. It is needed because damage occurs to muscles in use and the repair/replacement of cells is a continuous process.

Cheese and eggs contain far more fat than protein which provides a feeling of satiety so you feel full longer. You also need fats to provide fuel for other bodily mechanisms and here I get hazy at the moment so will leave it at that.

Hope that helps and that someone with better understanding will be along to expand and/or correct anything that needs it.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Julie27318

I watched a video the other day about the way protein is handled differently in a low carb environment vs a high carb environment. it's a very good talk on the relevance of protein and the insulin/glucagon balance.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically our bodies are very clever at surviving on what there was around before farming started - but just because something is possible doesn't mean it happens all the time, or that it is a bad thing if it does happen.
By eating a low carb diet many people can negate diabetes and even get their metabolism back into balance, eating protein and fat plus whatever low carb veges and fruits they can tolerate seems to be the way to go - it has worked for so many people that it should be in the manual of how to feed a human - it is just a shame that seems to be out of print at the moment and we have to rely on other texts.

Reactions: Julie27318