psyllium husk powder

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Have seen lots of recipes that use this, is there any substitute?

Reactions: jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it is mainly used as a binder, so recipes that use non-gluten flour, like coconut or almond, often use it. Recipes without it often use eggs to bind, but the eggy taste isn't always good. Other things that help binding and rising in baking are flaxseed and chia. I used flaxseed to make low carb muffins once and they came out well but they also had a high egg content.

I've been looking at vital wheat gluten, and have just bought some from Amazon. When I have time, I'll experiment with some recipes because I really would like to see if there's something low-carb I can make to stop me lapsing with bread products.

Reactions: Serena51

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I think it is mainly used as a binder, so recipes that use non-gluten flour, like coconut or almond, often use it. Recipes without it often use eggs to bind, but the eggy taste isn't always good. Other things that help binding and rising in baking are flaxseed and chia. I used flaxseed to make low carb muffins once and they came out well but they also had a high egg content.

I've been looking at vital wheat gluten, and have just bought some from Amazon. When I have time, I'll experiment with some recipes because I really would like to see if there's something low-carb I can make to stop me lapsing with bread products.
this is what i was going to attempt.
https://moniquebradley.tv/low-carb-breakfast-buns/

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only use psyllium husk with coconut flour to make flatbreads, there are no eggs involved. There are lots of similar recipes on the internet but I use one like this...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it very useful - is there some aversion to it?
When I use it in the bread I make I add various seeds and some rye flour as that disguises the purple colour.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it very useful - is there some aversion to it?
When I use it in the bread I make I add various seeds and some rye flour as that disguises the purple colour.
What purple colour?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s the best bit :D I’ve got some lovely homemade purple bagels in my freezer...
Purple is okay. :D

The purple yam is used in cooking in far off lands which give a purple finish to all sorts of things.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diet Doctor suggests xanthan gum as a possible psyllium alternative, but so far I've only used it as a thickener in sauces, (And I've only needed a very little for that.)

I've baked stuff without eggs, using a mixture of ground almonds and milled flax seed but it can turn out more like shortbread or biscuit than with a bread/cake like springy consistency. But I enjoy it anyway.

@Resurgam: My one experience with psyllium husks made me really ill. and so I refuse to use the stuff. Someone else on the forum had a similar experience,
but I've not been aware of other similar experiences.

Not very much help am I!

Robbity