Psyllium husk powder

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone. I recently bought a diabetes recipe book to try something different. There is a recipe for low carb bread using psyllium husk powder. Has anyone tried using this to make bread? I've looked at the cost and its £15, bit pricey but if it makes good bread it might be worth a try.

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
I use psyllium husk a lot. It depends on where you get it from and ranges in price and quality. It can add a very " wholemeal" sort of look to your breads. I've experimented with it in all sorts of ways and most recently, I've made a batch of pot stickers with it (still perfecting this recipe)

It helps stabilize and bind together other flours like almond or coconut which you use in conjunction.
You can also use it on its own. With water it swells up and becomes almost a blobby, corn starchy kind of batter/dough

Here are some of my experiments :
How to make Tortillas/Flatbreads
https://aminoapps.com/c/food/page/blog/how-to-make-gluten-free-tortillas/4zFY_uo356Volx3dRWd4JRNzw5d1rY

How I made these low carb friendly breads
https://aminoapps.com/c/food/page/b...riendly-breads/pkFQ_uRVqMM3J8DPo8G4rWK0aW0gW7

I have also managed to make a hot water crust pastry for "pork pie" using psyllium husk as well
(another thing i'm still perfecting)

GHbrNLY

3BM5B8r

rf2VF1C

Attachments

• Hot Water Crust Pie.jpeg
    Hot Water Crust Pie.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Psyllium husk dumpling.jpeg
    Psyllium husk dumpling.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Fried Pot Sticker.jpeg
    Fried Pot Sticker.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: Redshank

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a few big bags of various things for baking from Amazon, including psyllium husk powder and coconut flour - I use them to add to my normal bread recipe, along with things from the supermarket, milled seeds, ground almonds, rye flour, as they mask the purple colour of the psyllium flour when baked. The bulking up of the bread works well to reduce the impact of the bread flours, and I have gone over to using US style cups as it is so much faster than weighing out, and it also emphasises just how low density the low carb options are.
I put the dough into muffin tins to prove and bake, and freeze the result so as not to be tempted to over indulge.

Reactions: KookieMunchster

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. I think i'll get some and have a go. The "pork pie" looks amazing!!! If i get to grips with using psyllium i'll be having a go at that. Thanks Mr Pot for the link.