Pulse Rate

em2297csw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondered if anyone knows of any links between high pulse rate and type one diabetes?

Randomly checked my pulse at work and it was 104. Since then I’ve been checking for few months and never lower than 90s. I’m 21 years old not good!!

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Just wondered if anyone knows of any links between high pulse rate and type one diabetes?

Randomly checked my pulse at work and it was 104. Since then I’ve been checking for few months and never lower than 90s. I’m 21 years old not good!!
I would suggest raising the issue with your GP, who can probably send you for some tests to see what's going on. They can do 24 hour halter monitoring which gives an objective picture of what your heart is doing the whole time. Best of luck.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I'd go to the docs to get it checked, but it may just be because it is.
I've always had a high pulse rate, so whilst having a drink at the pub my fitbit thinks I'm exercising :) cos mine is often about 85-105 whilst sitting down (currently 86) - I think its slowing down very gradually over the years - I remember once at school we did pulse rates in class and my idle pulse was the highest in the class by a fair old way at 114.
And yes I've had T1 since I was young, but my mother and grandmother also have/had high pulse rates and they are/were not diabetic, so I suspect for me its just hereditary down my mums side of the family.
I did have a 24-hour test done and they were happy as mine drops down to about 65-75 overnight so it does calm down slightly.

Reactions: Jenny15

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Yeah I'd go to the docs to get it checked, but it may just be because it is.
I've always had a high pulse rate, so whilst having a drink at the pub my fitbit thinks I'm exercising :) cos mine is often about 85-105 whilst sitting down (currently 86) - I think its slowing down very gradually over the years - I remember once at school we did pulse rates in class and my idle pulse was the highest in the class by a fair old way at 114.
And yes I've had T1 since I was young, but my mother and grandmother also have/had high pulse rates and they are/were not diabetic, so I suspect for me its just hereditary down my mums side of the family.
I did have a 24-hour test done and they were happy as mine drops down to about 65-75 overnight so it does calm down slightly.
That's good to know. FWIW, my resting heart rate has slowly crept up as I've reached middle age and also gained weight. I remember at around age 20 it was 60, which is very good for an overweight person. It was due to working in a physical job, I was fit despite being heavy. I think it's about 82 now, which isn't too out there for someone my size and age. I've had many ECGs over the years and thankfully they are always normal.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also have a high pulse rate. Anywhere between 85 and 104 resting. My GP says it doesn't become dangerous till it goes over 130 consistently, unless it is accompanied by frequent "missed beats" which are actually ventricular ectopic beats and not missed ones, but it does feel like a missed beat, and normally cause palpitations.. It has nothing to do with my diabetes. I am T2 with non-diabetic levels. I have no idea if insulin can cause high pulse rates, but some medications can, along with too much caffeine from coffee, tea and fizzy drinks, tobacco, and stimulants.

The advice to see your GP is good advice. An ECG will show if there is a problem. Most surgeries have their own ECG equipment, but not the extended 24/36/72 hour stuff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

I don't believe it has anything to do with diabetes.
Taking a very small sample:
- I have type 1 diabetes and a resting heart rate of 55 or less
- my partner does not have diabetes and has a resting heart rate about 70.

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had trouble getting released from hospital recently as my pulse was 99.. I was saying "but thats good its normally 106" and it took them ages to believe me lol

D

Deleted member 308541

I just checked mine on my oximeter, and it was 68 bpm, my spo2 was 91%.

Stesmithy83

New type 2 here

due to high blood pressure I have been having it checked weekly this week my GP referred me for a ECG as my pulse has been high also

Probably worth checking with your GP