Type 1 Pump and advice!

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type one diabetic and have been for 16years now, I've always had high hba1c and I'm getting to the point I'm worrying about my future can anyone help me by giving advice on how to get it lowered and what's the pump like? I want to give it a try but I'm worried I'll struggle with it. Thank you, B.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pump needs a lot of hard work to get everything working properly. You must know how to carb count accurately and be able to test frequently. It's not a miracle cure as it needs a lot of input but, used properly, it is much better than MDI.

If you aren't using MDI properly, it is highly unlikely that the pump will help. However, if you are doing everything by the book and still not getting good results, the pump can make a tremendous difference.

Reactions: azure

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm using the carb counting but I find it difficult to measure my foods when I'm one of 6 children in my house. It's always busy so I try and go by the best I can. I'm not having much low ones but it seems to be high and lately I'm over eating due to stress and bloating up badly! Hospitals haven't really been helping me and I'm worried on what would happen to me if I don't sort myself out.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Moosh97 Do you have some good quality digital scales? They help enormously. For example, when I cook pasta for the family, I then weigh out my portion because I know that Xgrams of cooked pasta is Ygrams of carbs.

Also, are you sure your insulin to carbs ratio(s) are correct? If they're not, that could cause highs even if you counted the carbs properly.

The pump isn't automatic. It's just another insulin delivery system that needs to be controlled by the user. So if you miscalculated yoyr carbs, your blood sugar could still be too high (or too low).

When did you last tdo a basal check? Sometimes if your basal insulin dose is wrong, that can mess up your results.

Reactions: noblehead

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have scales indoors actually! :) &a my blood sugars can very from being 14 in the morning to 4. And I think I may need to up my carb ratio it's on the lowest right now because the doctors told me to start with the lowest ratio and go from there

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As with anyone starting out from the beginning you want to get your background dose sorted first....

what background/basal insulin are you on?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You may require different carb ratios for different times of the day. For instance,
Breakfast 1unit for 8.5g carbs
Lunch 1u for 10g
Dinner 1u for 9.5g

This is what I need at the moment, but it could be different in a few months time.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I have scales indoors actually! :) &a my blood sugars can very from being 14 in the morning to 4. And I think I may need to up my carb ratio it's on the lowest right now because the doctors told me to start with the lowest ratio and go from there

Can you tell us a little about what insulins you take and when?

A basal test seems a good idea, I'd think.

I'm also wondering if there could be outside things affecting your blood sugar eg hormones, stress, change of routine?

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take levemir in the morning and before bed then breakfast, lunch and dinner I take novo rapid. I'm on 1 unit for every 10g of carbs. I've also been diagnosed with depression, I have panic attacks every so often and a lot of the time I'm always stressed to the point I'm stress eating or over doing it with sugary things.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear about your depression. You're not alone. A number of members here of all ages have depression. I hope you're getting support with that.

If the depression is also causing you to feel stressed about things, then stress can randomly put your blood sugar up. I've had experience of this. It can keep it unnaturally raised for days, I've found.

If the highs are due to the 'extra' foods you're eating, then at least you know the cause. I like to think that no,foods are forbidden. I just have to think about how I'm going to,eat them - ie count the carbs, time the bolus, when to eat sweeter things (before exrecise, etc).

If you find you're going high after one particular meal of the day, then you could ask your nurse about trying a different ratio for that meal if you don't already have one, you could also,ask for a half unit pen. That would allow you to bolus more accurately.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's easy said, but don't let your diabetes get you down. Try your best to find patterns of high/low blood sugars and you will be able to deal with it. Try not to get stressed about your results. What works for one person won't necessarily work for someone else but you will find lots of good support and suggestions here.

Try to keep a diary of what/when you eat, how much insulin you take for that food, what exercise you do (even a quick walk around the shops can make a difference). Hopefully you have one of the blood sugar diaries with room to fit this in.

Your DSN can also be a great support.

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone I'm trying not to snack a lot so I'm not injecting as much and I hope to have a hospital appointment soon so I can try and get more help with my diabetes. It's hard but I'm hoping to be more strict with myself so hopefully I can sort myself out.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
See if you can get some structured education about how to adjust your doses.....

that means when you do get stressed or if you want a treat yourself, you are in the best position to do so all the while keeping your blood sugars in range...

have you had any training...?

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No they are getting me a appointment for the DAPHNE course but I'm nervous and I worry about if I get something wrong everyone will look at me. I guess if you haven't noticed I'm a worrying person haha, but I also guess that if this course will benefit me I'm up to giving it a try :)

Reactions: himtoo and azure

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. You'll all be in the same boat. You will all learn new things but will also go over things you already know. It will be interesting to meet other diabetics, you'll be fine.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
No they are getting me a appointment for the DAPHNE course but I'm nervous and I worry about if I get something wrong everyone will look at me. I guess if you haven't noticed I'm a worrying person haha, but I also guess that if this course will benefit me I'm up to giving it a try :)
Hi @Moosh97

you must not worry about what anyone else thinks -- everyone you attend the course with will be wanting to do the same thing as you -- trying to improve their BG's and control -- hopefully you will make some friends.

and also remember -- there is no right or wrong -- only trying your best !! :)

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I shouldn't worry. I'm hoping to make some friends so I've always got help in the future

Reactions: himtoo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

No one will be judgemental, it's quite a relaxed atmosphere on the course as I'm sure you'll find out yourself once you enrol.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I know I shouldn't worry. I'm hoping to make some friends so I've always got help in the future
Hi @Moosh97 you have already got some new friends here too -- count me as one for sure !! :):)