Pump - changing sets and getting highs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
IMG_1478296525.992209.jpg

Bloody great!! Will be A&E again soon!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you have any long acting insulin as a back up? I'm so sorry your BS is messing you around. Is it not even coming down with pen corrections?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Nope.
IMG_1478300346.315062.jpg

Still with 7.1 units active!! Dropped less than an unit in an hour.

Exactly what happened last time when in Aug when I wnded up in A&E... and told to come off pump. Then Manager to our home and the referral to the "better" tertiary care...

Was 5 weeks last time before a&e... this will be lucky to be 10days!!

Struggling now... too high.. too long.. for me. Won't start to check ketones until 5am if still high.

Just total ****...

Must be working tho in some way as mo alarm yet....still only 7hrs on from the new set though...

iHs

If this was me.....I wouldn't care about active insulin showing up on the pump.... I'd be worried about being so high so would go straight for my pen and bang in some units and then keep bg or cgm testing to make sure I would start to come down and then try to break the fall with some carb or some carby liquid or some lucozade.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes.. have long acting.. seriously thinking about just giving up.

Laughable really.. pump people didn't want me back on pump last weekend.. because of the weekend. They wanted me to go back on it this week... where are staff... off 2 days last weekend.. oh and 4 days this weekend. If I had gone back on this week I would have been in a worse situ for contacting them! Thisis type of thing really has really wiped my confidence even in the teriary care team.

Chap at Accuchek lied yesterday. Rep phoned me today and said she was called by a different chap on Monday and she returning his call to me... this 2nd chap that I spoke to on Weds and Thurs "assured" me he had spoken to the rep. She denied it.. someone is lying.
My man I know quite well is the Manager so may well contact him next week.
Oh and the 2nd chap weds more interested and asked me rwice whether I was thinking about making a claim against Accuchek...

I have list all confidence in all my care. I've identified the problem. The people meant to help me resolve it aren't helping and getting more help from here...

Oh but I do have a number for a person to contact who knows nothing anout me and I would never really have a hope in hell of getting anywhere with a back up medic.. or at least, thats how I feel. May phone on Monday.. they may well be better than the one I have ended up with.

Just fed up struggling. Have enough struggles with stomach and eating let alone this interfering with all that too. Cancer, laughably pales in to insignificance in comparison to evthing else.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@donnellysdogs I know this link is a children's site but it suggests changing your set when your basal rate is lowest:

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes....24-Screaming-highs-after-pod-changes-randomly

I don't know if that will help, but it makes sense logically.

Another thought - are you able to use a different length needle to see if that helps?

I also wondered if you'd tried a different insulin. While I was googling I read a page that said some insulins seem to cause site issues quicker than others.

Sorry everything is so **** for you. It's so frustrating when sites don't work. All I can suggest is to have an open mind and try absolutely everything in the hope of hitting on something that will help.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Had to give another injection jab at 2oclock..

I didn't wake at 4... but didn't need to.

IMG_1478342278.194018.jpg

Hubby was talking about food for Sunday this morn. I said to him "II'm not going to be able to eat, cos its another set change day."

Every set change I am a perfect 5 -6 preset change.

I amgoing to try a different set tomorrow. I can't keep going like this. I've lost 4lbs this week from highs and the consequent not being able to eat till they come down.. a full day yesterday and Weds and Mon. Its not as if I can pig out every other day to compensate for tge day not eating!!

Good job I'm used to eating next to nothing. Hubby getting me one cream cake for extra calories today that I can eat!! Would have ate two if stomach would handle it but know I have choice between a 2nd cake and courgette, bnut squash and carrot for vitamins. Going to add in soured cream for extra calories. Having a bit of fish too.

Anything else and nausea and **** will happen as it will be too much.

Hopefully different set tomorrow will make a difference.

Tired and fed up with it al. 2am injection is still working at 10am .. low now! Or the insulin all stacked up. So yoday not turning out to be a perfect 2nd day.
IMG_1478342927.524443.jpg

Despite eating...

At least A&E avoided.

Rollon Sunday. Daren't do changeover today with new set as it could turn out to. be another day of not eating...

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@donnellysdogs, the next time I feel sorry for myself, thinking I have problems, I'll think of you. You seem so strong compared to me. I hope the new set works well for you. Good luck!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@dancer.. I'm not strong at all with it.. I'm totally worn down by it. I wasn't feeling this **** even when diagnosed 30+ years ago.

This is the worst time physically I have felt so bad. You guys saw me through a horrendous time 6 years ago with my driving licence being threatened. There is an amazing person here that really supported me threw that hell and hoing on to pump. That person is still here for me now!!

I'm just grateful to you guys for siuppodt and ideas to try when paid persons ideas are somewhat lacking..

Thankyou...

Amazing people give so much good advice. Same with "flat friends" on face book for women without reconstruction. No professional really, really understands as much as fellow persons...

Thank goodness for all you people and the internet now!!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
fingers crossed for you tomorrow and tonight DD, I hope you get this sorted out asap

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
fingers crossed for you tomorrow and tonight DD, I hope you get this sorted out asap

Thankyou!!

Got different manufacturer steel and machine inserted sideway sets today...

I can do the machine inserted ones. My hubby was sick when he saw the tenderlinks sent by rep for me to try!!

I'm going to retry the other steel sets 1st.

You guys and gals... thank you... you have hiven me other options than despair!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just loked at the tenderlinks the rep sent. 30cm so really totally useless to me.
Thank goodness for a special person here that knows me.. got some long tubes and auto inserting to try.

Professionals.. sorry they just do not truly appreciate and listen to everything.....

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Sorry to hear of the trouble you're having. I know if someone on here who does an increased temp basal for each set check because of the stress. I do a slightly too big bolus to achieve the same. That's even though most of my bad sets were with a particular type of set that I don't use.

I quite like the slanted sets. I find them fine with manual insertion only not a device. Also at the beginning i used to numb the site with ice (in kitchen roll to not affect stickiness) which also helped take nervousness away from the rather long needle.

Good luck in finding a solution.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diff set today for chsngeover.

Still had to do a bolus additional and pretnd it went through pump and do injection as well and a basal at 200% extra for 6 hours.

How many people have to do this sort of stuff every set change??

Just trying to balance my feelings ref pump and pens...

Pens-I get up at 4am and hour before getting up to do injections x 2 each time. Know where I stand.

Pump.. every 2nd day... not a clue and constant worry and stress.... on both days... constant thinking about pump and levels...

I know this is only two weeks back in.... but harsh reality compared to the 5 years of happy pumping..

I'm just not happy.

Cos of extra 200% basal till 9pm I still have hourly testing till 4am as my insulin lasts so long in me. Pump set at 5 hours but think its nearer to 6 hours.

I know I am am sort of OTT but I actually enjoyed the freedom of injections besides the DP and WP!!
Now I have set worry instead..

Just wound up not knowing the outcome of 200% and also that health persons didn't suggest anything like this option....

iHs

It's true to say that different areas of the body will require more or less insulin....One of the not so joys of using a pump as it usually means different basal rates needing to be set up.

Try using the 30 degree sets with the inserter. Just attach a new tube to the existing cartridge and insert the new set. Hopefully, the 30 degree set will allow for insulin to be absorbed a bit better with any luck before giving up on pumps and going back to MDI.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hey DD, have you considered insulin combinations to over come your 4am rise?

You perhaps could look at something like Levemir in the daytime and NPH overnight and time the peak with your rises?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I tried one cpmbination of Levemir and Insulatard. Nothing copes with the rises without making me low at other times.
I go from 0.30 at 3am up to 1.10, 1.20, 1.25 at 7,8 and 9 oclock. Dropping back to .48's. It is a huge increase and I even tried Insulatard at 1am as well.

However, on a brighter note my combination and the diff set worked yesterday and today. Was surprised for last night as really thought I would go low but still peaked about 8 by 3am before returning to 6.4 at 6.30am and 5.4 at 8am.

Got to do again tomorrow evening as out all day tomorrow. Trouble is Needing to eat. Only thing perhaps I can do is to take my melon and yogurt with me at lunch and not eat in the evening to double check again.

Highest level was 8.0 2hrs after change over yesterday. So also just wondering whether to give a small bolus in old set before swopping. The bolus's in any new set just seem to do nothing initially and yet today my bolus has worked lovely. It just seems to be that first 12 hours thatsreally taking it out of me every other day.

Its just a constant worry to me.. tomorrow and going to cancer therapy all day and not wanting to faff around there but then having to have a faff round for such a long time when getting home is just not what should be happening with a pump. It should make life a little easier not bloomin harder...

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tried one cpmbination of Levemir and Insulatard. Nothing copes with the rises without making me low at other times.
I go from 0.30 at 3am up to 1.10, 1.20, 1.25 at 7,8 and 9 oclock. Dropping back to .48's. It is a huge increase and I even tried Insulatard at 1am as well.

However, on a brighter note my combination and the diff set worked yesterday and today. Was surprised for last night as really thought I would go low but still peaked about 8 by 3am before returning to 6.4 at 6.30am and 5.4 at 8am.

Got to do again tomorrow evening as out all day tomorrow. Trouble is Needing to eat. Only thing perhaps I can do is to take my melon and yogurt with me at lunch and not eat in the evening to double check again.

Highest level was 8.0 2hrs after change over yesterday. So also just wondering whether to give a small bolus in old set before swopping. The bolus's in any new set just seem to do nothing initially and yet today my bolus has worked lovely. It just seems to be that first 12 hours thatsreally taking it out of me every other day.

Its just a constant worry to me.. tomorrow and going to cancer therapy all day and not wanting to faff around there but then having to have a faff round for such a long time when getting home is just not what should be happening with a pump. It should make life a little easier not bloomin harder...

Hi, i have not been following all the thread, but when i have problems i just have the pump on basal and use a syringe for the bolus - this has worked well for me - not sure if it has been suggested here?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi, i have not been following all the thread, but when i have problems i just have the pump on basal and use a syringe for the bolus - this has worked well for me - not sure if it has been suggested here?

Its only cannula changes that are messing up my levels totally.. for an initial "up to" 12 hours. Bolus initially don't work. Then I'll get occlusion if I just run on basal.

I would prefer to run on one or the other -mdi or pump. Not really wanting both in my life at the same time on a permanent basis.

Reactions: ann34+

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So sorry to see you are having all these issues. I have always found I run high with a set change and I have to run new site at temp basal of +160% for 2 hours. It's like my body won't accept new site right away. I also leave old set in for at least 4 hours too.

I had a nightmare with steel sets doing exactly what you are finding now. I ran super high and then they "kicked in" and site was fine. Nobody could ever fathom out why so I went back to teflon.

I know you are skinny so don;t think that helps as if I'm at my best weight (slim) I als have more issues. Gained some weight to make sure I had better fat for absorption. Have no idea how really skinny pumpers manage!