Pump criteria

leggott

I have two children both type 1 and I'm considering pumps for both of them. When they were first diagnosed, we were told that if we learnt to carb count and established good control then we were more likely to get them on to pumps. I have today been advised by a friend who's child is also diabetic that they were refused a pump because her HBA1c was considered to be too good! (They live in the same area as I do). My childrens control is very good with their last HBA1c's 5.5 & 5.8. Can anyone tell me what the criteria (if any) is for getting a pump or is it just down to which area you happen to be in. Thank you
Leggott.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
The NICE guidance for pumps can be found here: http://guidance.nice.org.uk/TA151

5.5 and 5.8 are pretty good numbers for any diabetic to get, but as you know it's only really an average and doesn't take account of all the highs and lows. Good enough? Open to debate I reckon, but it's the current measure so we're stuck with it.

PCTs will interpret NICE guidance as their budgets permit, and it also helps to have a supportive consultant, so it's not completely cut-and-dried.

Good luck!

leggott

Thank you for the info Kegstore. It doesn't look promising does it? I think that if they only take into account their HBA1c then there's not much I can do. I would like to think that they would take into account other factors, ie . making the lives of a 5 & 7 year old (not to mention their parents) a little easier. I've heard so many positive things about children using pumps, not only about improving HBA1c results, but the usual things like less injections, more flexibitily with play dates and not having to go to the school to administer injections. My husband who is also type1 for over 20 years has no desire to change to a pump, but even he can see the advantages for our children.
Wish me luck!

jopar

hi leggott

Don't be dishearted by what some-one else has said, remember you are a different case... It might mean that when you ask about pumping for the children that you need to build a good case of to why and how they will benefit from pumping...

I would take a look at INPUT http://www.input.me.uk/index.php?page=kids-pumps check John Davis and Lesley Jorden via here, and there is also insulin-pumpers.org that have a e-mail list and a childrens section where you can also find help and support..

When I appraoched my DSN, she looked at me as though I uncovered a very top secret information, explained that pumps in my area where as rare as hen teeth :lol: but she would find out how to start the ball rolling and help as much as she could.. It took 2 1/2 years of battling with my consultant but I did win, yes there were times I felt I was fighting a losing battle but held in there...

sugar-rush

Dislikes
being fat, liars, bullies, being stressed all the time
i am trying to get one but atm i am not allowed.
ive been trying to get one for over a year now, its very hard because its so expensive.
im still going to try i think it would help me alot if i had one.
i have trouble with high blood readings and i have trouble with hypos aswell.
i have never gotten a hba1c under 9.3% so i really think having a pump will help me get my numbers down.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
sugar-rush, on the basis of the information you've provided alone you qualify for a pump on several counts, but as you recognise already, funding is a major issue for most PCTs. I had to wait 6 months after registering my interest before I started on pump therapy, so that my requirements could be incorporated with the budget. Other have to wait much longer, it just depends where you live. If you continue to have trouble getting on a program, try Input (see jopar's post above) as they may be able to move things along for you.

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sugar-rush,
When I first made noises about using a pump, the first reaction was "DAFNE". In short, it seemed that attendance and completion of a DAFNE course was a criteria which had to be met before I would even be considered for an insulin pump. So .... DAFNE it was - and what a revelation! A real eye-opener for one who had been in the diabetes wilderness for many many years and yes! Within a couple of months, I was provided with the opportunity of using an insulin pump - an opportunity grabbed with both hands - and now - a confirmed insulin pump user, blood glucose tester and carb intake watcher! What a turn around!

Alan