Pump diemma

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure if anyone has said this yet but pumps offer an "extended bolus/square wave" feature whereby a bolus can be delivered incrementally over a time period of your choice. This has a similar effect to using a slower-acting insulin. But since you can also do boluses in one shot, this gives you different options for different types of meals.
No @mentat I had no idea there was such a function! And that sounds like that would be a viable option for me at certain times! Is this a function on all pumps? I am learning so much already I just hope I remember it all!!
Thank you, that is something I will make a note of!

Reactions: mentat

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your healthcare team won't arrange a free Libre trial, why not contact Freestyle themselves? They are the guys who want to sell the Libre. To be honest, I got the feeling my local healthcare team didn't like the Libre.
As for pump, I use an Animas Vibe. Unlike others, to save money, my healthcare authority only provide this pump. Apart from looking like a pager from the 80s, it seems to be ok and the Animas support team are very good ... although they only provide a phone number contact and I prefer email but that's personal preference.
I agree the Libre and such like in my experience also doesn't meet with great enthusiasm with my healthcare team (but I'm learning little does!) And I never thought to approach Libre direct...maybe an option, I'm always up for trying my luck!!;)

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No @mentat I had no idea there was such a function! And that sounds like that would be a viable option for me at certain times! Is this a function on all pumps? I am learning so much already I just hope I remember it all!!
Thank you, that is something I will make a note of!

I'm not aware of any pumps that don't have this feature, but maybe someone will correct me on that.

I just wanted to clarify a point I was trying to make: because of extended boluses, you may find a rapid-acting insulin works well in your pump because you can prolong its activity if you want or you can get the full effect for times when you need it.

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not aware of any pumps that don't have this feature, but maybe someone will correct me on that.

I just wanted to clarify a point I was trying to make: because of extended boluses, you may find a rapid-acting insulin works well in your pump because you can prolong its activity if you want or you can get the full effect for times when you need it.
That's really interesting, shame you can't do that on MDI at times, hence still being on Humalin S, I find a slower action suits me!! But at times rapid action would be good too! On MDI I could do with every insulin option at times, hence the appeal of the a pump! Thank you for your insight, my cogs are going around at the minute, just thinking how I can make this work! Good to get the old grey mater working, cheers :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's really interesting, shame you can't do that on MDI at times, hence still being on Humalin S, I find a slower action suits me!! But at times rapid action would be good too! On MDI I could do with every insulin option at times, hence the appeal of the a pump! Thank you for your insight, my cogs are going around at the minute, just thinking how I can make this work! Good to get the old grey mater working, cheers :)

You can use a regular insulin in your pump and have analogue in a pen, if that suits you :)

I much prefer my pump having porcine as it works great as a basal too.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Have a look at this and similar videos, might help you get more of a feel for how it works. The "Combo" (extended) bolus I have been talking about is covered at about 2:30 in the video.

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a look at this and similar videos, might help you get more of a feel for how it works. The "Combo" (extended) bolus I have been talking about is covered at about 2:30 in the video.

Thank you! I'm off to bed in a min so I'll take a look tomorrow, think my brain is frazzled! Really appreciate your help and advice!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @novorapidboi26 for your words of encouragement, out of interest which sites do you find most effective and comfortable?

For me, upper thigh and round the back to the sides of my bum......

Continued use of these sites I believe has caused some lipohypertrophy, just a bit of puffiness as opposed to lumps....although it hasn't been confirmed, I could just be normal fat....:meh:...

Ultimately though it hasn't caused any absorption issues....

Right now I have it on my belly as my tubing actually snapped away from the cannula last night, which was on my bum....

I think this is a defect as it hasn't happened before on this site...

If your slim you may be limited to sites...

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can use a regular insulin in your pump and have analogue in a pen, if that suits you :)

I much prefer my pump having porcine as it works great as a basal too.
It's sometimes the obvious things you don't think of! And yes, I guess there is no reason I couldn't do that!! I sometimes feel there are times when I am ill or whatever reason my BGs have rocketed and I have to wait so long for Humalin S to tackle it so I can see that as an advantage when taking regular insulin in a pump. My diabetes does seem to do better with a good basal so it is worth considering.

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Continued use of these sites I believe has caused some lipohypertrophy, just a bit of puffiness as opposed to lumps....although it hasn't been confirmed, I could just be normal fat....:meh:...

Right now I have it on my belly as my tubing actually snapped away from the cannula last night, which was on my bum....

Interesting, thanks for that, I appreciate your reply and in all honesty think that those sites would probably do me more favours! And I think I probably have just enough coverage to give me site options!!!
There are definite no go areas for me after years of use I simply cannot get control out of my arms!! Abdomen is great for injections but it seemed not for the pump....

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sorry just an afterthought, out of interest which pump do you use?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry just an afterthought, out of interest which pump do you use?

Medtronic Veo......

Was hoping for the 640g when my upgrade came in January, but no....:(......cheaper pumps means more pumps for others....so cant argue really...

Reactions: NinaB73