Pump honeymoon is over!

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I started pumping last Wednesday on the Medtronic Paradigm Veo. The first few days after I started looked really promising and my levels were fantastic! My DSN warned me that that usually is the case when people just start pumping, and I guess she was right!

Since then my levels have been slowly creeping up a little more every day to the point where yesterday I had trouble keeping them under 10 with the basal and bolus doses I was taking. At this point what I mostly seem to be doing is correcting! I am really tempted to start playing around with my basal and bolus levels myself, as I am used to do with the doses of my normal injections when I cound sense things starting to go wrong. My DSN told me it's better not to do that just yet but I really can't stand all these levels! They're not terrible, mind you, I was still a lot worse when I was on normal injections. I think the highest I go now is about 14 whereas before I would have easily gone into the 20s!

My next appointment is Wednesday morning and I think we will change my basal rates again then, so I think I will have to stick it out until then. How did you guys go about it in the beginning? Did you change things yourself or waited for your DSN to give you the green light? My DSN is great and I do trust her opinion but I'm so tempted right now!

sugar2

Hi,

I didn't see teh DSN again for about 4 months...so I did have tofiddle around with teh basal and bolus regime myself. I guess, as you are bing seen agin on wednesday, it is tempting to leave it...but if you are correcting all teh time anyway, they will not get any good data from your current readings...so again, I would increase your basal slightly, and see how you go. Only up it a small amount though..slowly does it.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Levy said:
Hi all,

I started pumping last Wednesday on the Medtronic Paradigm Veo. The first few days after I started looked really promising and my levels were fantastic! My DSN warned me that that usually is the case when people just start pumping, and I guess she was right!

Since then my levels have been slowly creeping up a little more every day to the point where yesterday I had trouble keeping them under 10 with the basal and bolus doses I was taking. At this point what I mostly seem to be doing is correcting! I am really tempted to start playing around with my basal and bolus levels myself, as I am used to do with the doses of my normal injections when I cound sense things starting to go wrong. My DSN told me it's better not to do that just yet but I really can't stand all these levels! They're not terrible, mind you, I was still a lot worse when I was on normal injections. I think the highest I go now is about 14 whereas before I would have easily gone into the 20s!

My next appointment is Wednesday morning and I think we will change my basal rates again then, so I think I will have to stick it out until then. How did you guys go about it in the beginning? Did you change things yourself or waited for your DSN to give you the green light? My DSN is great and I do trust her opinion but I'm so tempted right now!

Hi,

i'm into my5th week now, and for the first two weeks my readings also seemed to good to be true, into the 3rd week i started to run a bit higher, and i also wanted so bad to change them myself!

But i didn't my nurse is in contact weekly now, at first it was daily. She's upped some of my basal's, it's not like she is demanding and would be mad if i changed them myself.

She's the expert and i totallytrust her 100% and sure enough with the increases she suggest my levels are getting better :)

She did suggest however that i change them myself if i spot a hypo pattern that isn't linked to bolus ratios.

But so far so good for me.

If your really worried that your readings are too high, then give them a ring. I'msure they'd be happy to suggest something. failing that as Sugar says you can alter them yourself. but do it a little at a time and give yourself a few days between adjusting to see the effects of any changes you make :)

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi

we have had contact once since starting the pump nearly 2 months ago, we have done it all ourselves if i waited for them we would of been waiting forever i do things one thing at a time and think we are doing a pretty good job if i do say so myself :lol: still not perfect but not far off either :D

anna marie

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anna Marie and Sugar, I think it's great you two have managed to figure out how to do it all yourself, but I must say I do find it quite shocking that your DSNs just left you to it! Going through such a big change I'd say you could use all the help you can get!

And yes Sugar you are right, if all I'm doing is correcting now then the true pattern there is lost. Where would I start? Is it the basal I would try and get right first before I move onto the bolus? What is the best way of going about changing my basal? I've read about fasting tests where you fast a part of the day and measure your BG and then tweak your basal to the needs of that part of the day and then move on to the next part of the day etc?

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
yes i know its not good i dont know why they have left us to it its never happened before so i just plod on i could phone them but while things are going as they are and i know what im doing and what im changing next i dont think they could advise me to do anything different than what im doing if i needed it i would phone tho.

to figure ours out we would do a fasting test to see if the basal is working as it should and keeping the level stable first over the different time periods of the day,then we know if we need to alter that if that is working as it should then we would look at the bolus ratios from there

anna marie