Pump infusion sites

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi fellow pumpers, I have a question. Do any if you insert your infusion set into the back of your arm? I can see from the wonderful World Wide Web that the back of the arm is a 'valid' location to wear an infusion set but as it is the least 'productive' area for insulin absorption I was wondering if anyone had tried it with positive results? I tried it the other day, results were not good! Lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I've not tried it, but I'm curious to see the response as I do want to try it. I've spoken to someone who always has their set in the arm, and another who has problems with it.

I've just used my stomach and legs.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've ready that you need to adjust your pump timings to release the insulin ahead of when you would program the pump to release if your set were in your stomach (for example) to allow for the slower absorb rate? But don't quote me!

iHs

I had a go at inserting a Flexlink in the back of my arm right at the top near my armpit. Set went in ok (I did a manual insertion to make sure the needle went in where I wanted it to go) and got OH to carefully remove the blue pin. Was ok for a while but later on started to get high bg levels which at the time were not overly high so just did a correction and went to bed. Got up in the morning with very high levels, so pulled set out and couldn't believe it but the cannula was bent over at a right angle. Since that time, Ive not tried my arms anymore but might have a go with a RapidD although would need OH to unswivel the tube connectors.. :roll: :lol:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Similar thing happened to me, no insertion issues (although I did fumble to pull the pin out with one hand!) but 1-2 and 3 hour checks showed a steady climb. After 5 hours and 2 corrections I took it out! Then approx 4 hours later I went low. I think the insulin was going in and I must have over corrected but the absorption was delayed....

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I quite regularly have mine in the back of my arm I change my pump settings to allow around a half hour delay, It all depends on how chubby your arms are how good your circulation normally is. Worth a try just test more than you would usually. The most complicated part is the insertion. I used to get my oh to help but now I can manage by myself, practise makes perfect.

lacey1

My husband puts his in the back of his arm tummy and legs all with the same result maybe because he has very little body fat and is quite muscular but he always makes sure the skin is pinched well for insurting the canular even if he has to squash his arm against a table or something