Pump Insurance

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I am only daying what I was told the example that was given was that you would not insure a car that you did not own you would not be at any financial loss should it be lost damaged or stolen one of the things a car insurance policy asks is are you the owner and registered keeper of the car if u r not they will not insure you every pct will be different but the principle of insuring something that does not belong to you is very odd

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Ok putting it another way if you lost or broke the loan pump and didn't have it insured why would the loaner replace it for you? (That's you without a pump for the rest of the pump warranty unless you can afford to stump up over two grand for a replacement), Insurers will insure for loaned or leased items including cars. Thus anything happens to the loaned item the owner is reimbursed not the person who has the item on loan

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Incidentally, and out of interest.. Has anybody had to claim for a pump yet or lost or damaged theirs?

Personally, if its on me 99.9% of time I think I would only stand a very small less than 0.01% of anything happening to remote..

Wish I'd thought of setting up private pump insurance. I would be on my luxury yacht in the med by now!!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Incidentally, and out of interest.. Has anybody had to claim for a pump yet or lost or damaged theirs?

Personally, if its on me 99.9% of time I think I would only stand a very small less than 0.01% of anything happening to remote..

Wish I'd thought of setting up private pump insurance. I would be on my luxury yacht in the med by now!!

There was someone on another forum who's child managed to shut their pump in the car door :) Someone else has owned up to having a puppy chew theirs whilst fast asleep, them not the pup being asleep :) Others have reported pumps being nicked whilst on holiday and detached from the pump whilst swimming. So it does happen.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I signed a form when given pump to confirm after a 3 month trial period I would be the owner of my pump and would have to insure it. separate named item on building and contents insurance, when.first done.no extra cost as I was half way through policy. Have since renewed policy and it was cheaper than last year. if anyones home insurance won't do it, get a policy from a different provider.

Type 1, pumping nova rapid

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I signed a form when given pump to confirm after a 3 month trial period I would be the owner of my pump and would have to insure it. separate named item on building and contents insurance, when.first done.no extra cost as I was half way through policy. Have since renewed policy and it was cheaper than last year. if anyones home insurance won't do it, get a policy from a different provider.

Type 1, pumping nova rapid

Actually, you've just reminded me that I had to get mine added on to insurance for day I collected it and had to sign a form too.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahem...... (I still haven't mine sorted)....

I'm on the insurance4insulinpumps website and I notice that their policy key facts mentions this;

"Theft or loss from any motor vehicle is excluded between 22.00hrs and 06.00hrs."

So if I'm out at night travelling in a car and my pump gets stolen from me, it's not covered?!

Also;

"The doors of any conveying vehicle must be securely locked and all openings fully closed and
fastened."

Does this mean if I'm in a car with the door unlocked or window open, again the pump isn't covered by insurance?!

Seems a bit ridiculous to me. But I could be reading this wrong?
http://insurance4insulinpumps.co.uk/docs/Lloyds_InsulinPumps_Policy_Summaryv2.pdf
Hi, My daughter is a recent pump and she was told by the dept to get it fully insured so It's now covered under my house insurance Aviva policy.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am only daying what I was told the example that was given was that you would not insure a car that you did not own you would not be at any financial loss should it be lost damaged or stolen one of the things a car insurance policy asks is are you the owner and registered keeper of the car if u r not they will not insure you every pct will be different but the principle of insuring something that does not belong to you is very odd

Well it is almost always the case that the CCG owns the pump, and usually the case that they can't afford to replace it if it's lost. So who suffers if the pump is lost? The patient does. This is the reason why the patient needs to insure it.

The HCPs who say the CCG "should" insure the pump are making a moral statement not a factual one. Unless you have it in writing that the CCG will replace your pump, insure it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Bad example. A better example would be if you were the keeper, but not the owner, of a valuable car loaned to you by someone, that you couldn't afford to replace, and needed for your livelihood.

It's perfectly possible to insure something that doesn't belong to you. You can get life insurance on someone else's life, for example.

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine's on home contents insurance too (Sheila's Wheels). I had to add it as a named item and upgrade the policy to cover accidental damage, but it worked out a lot cheaper than getting separate insurance.