pump insurance

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Medtronic Veo casing cracked and they delivered one the next day, no questions asked.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My Medtronic Veo casing cracked and they delivered one the next day, no questions asked.
All companies are obliged to replace a pump if under warranty and it's not caused by misuse or accident. The thread is about accidental damage and or loss being covered under users ins. :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've heard people talking about pump insurance is it OK to just add it on your house contest as a high value item. or is it better to have a separate insurance just for the pump.
we all no what insurance company's are like for stitching people up and trying to not pay out.

I too have added it on to my home and content policy.........

Will it be hassle free making a claim if something does happen to the pump, most definitely not..........:)

iHs

I asked my nurse that, she said none of her patients have had to claim.

I'm going to continue to take syringes and a vial with me (as well as spare infusion set) if I'm going to be out of the house more than a few hours. If the pump stops working or the infusion set comes out or whatever, I don't want to be stranded with no way to take insulin.

I always make sure that Ive got my 0.5u insulin pen in my bag when I go out just in case something goes wrong. Ive used it a few times esp when the cartridge is running low and I want to wait until I get home so that I can put another one in the pump. just refill an empty pen cartridge with about 25u of insulin from a vial using a disposable syringe. So far, I have been doing this since 2010 and havent come unstuck yet.

Alison204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So my home insurers (Barclays) said it should be quite easy to be covered and to make a claim but it *could* take 2-3 days and I *might* have to pay upfront and they would reimburse me.
They said the length of time would depend on how quickly the company (animas) could get one sent out to me.
I just think if feel safer if I insured it with a company that solely insures pumps?? I'm in 2 minds of what to do?? :-/

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So my home insurers (Barclays) said it should be quite easy to be covered and to make a claim but it *could* take 2-3 days and I *might* have to pay upfront and they would reimburse me.
They said the length of time would depend on how quickly the company (animas) could get one sent out to me.
I just think if feel safer if I insured it with a company that solely insures pumps?? I'm in 2 minds of what to do?? :-/
Animas send out pump next day delivery, it doesn't matter how you inure the pump in that dept. It will only arrive as quickly as the courier can get it to you.
I doubt any pump company will send out a £3,000 pump without payment up front. I would suspect most hospitals have a loaner pump in such circumstances. I know Animas have loaners for holiday use spare.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having just read the pump ins policy, I think you need to read it very carefully. You are not covered if you go abroad is only 1 of the points I picked up on.

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Animas send out pump next day delivery, it doesn't matter how you inure the pump in that dept. It will only arrive as quickly as the courier can get it to you.
I doubt any pump company will send out a £3,000 pump without payment up front. I would suspect most hospitals have a loaner pump in such circumstances. I know Animas have loaners for holiday use spare.
I'm sure different pump company have very different policies.
i know my hospital is rubbish when it comes down to pumps there is no pump clinic or center in my area
i have been very lucky and send to another pump center in a different area. after upsetting lots of people .
thanks for info

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm sure different pump company have very different policies.
i know my hospital is rubbish when it comes down to pumps there is no pump clinic or center in my area
i have been very lucky and send to another pump center in a different area. after upsetting lots of people .
thanks for info
I'm even luckier as have no pump clinic to bother with as care done via GP, which suits me down to the ground :)

Sharon89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've heard people talking about pump insurance is it OK to just add it on your house contest as a high value item. or is it better to have a separate insurance just for the pump.
we all no what insurance company's are like for stitching people up and trying to not pay out.
I have just be given a pump but my insurance company stated as I didn't own the pump as it belongs to NHS then it couldn't be listed on my house insurance please check this if you go with the house insurance

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have just be given a pump but my insurance company stated as I didn't own the pump as it belongs to NHS then it couldn't be listed on my house insurance please check this if you go with the house insurance

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Then change your contents ins.
As long as you tell the ins company that you are the loaner and any reimbursement is for a replacement pump and not money it should be covered.
When I had horses on loan I always insured the horses and named the owners of the horse on the ins certificate.
You could also argue that the NHS bought the pump for you on a named person bases.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having just read the pump ins policy, I think you need to read it very carefully. You are not covered if you go abroad is only 1 of the points I picked up on.

I use the independent pump insurance, mentioned in the first or second reply, http://insurance4insulinpumps.co.uk/ which states
"going abroad
So long as you are a UK resident, we also cover the pump for up to 90 days worldwide whether for business or holiday."

Which one were you talking about ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people