pump not working

I went on to a animas 2020 pump on Monday, and its worked fine till I have to do a set change. The first time I did it, it took over a hour on where I was disconnected from it. My blood sugars went up to 18.6, and took over 3 hours to come to a normal level. I did a cartridge and infusion change again today as I was running low on insulin, was quicker this time, but to my horror a hour later it was on 21.4. I found out the first infusion set wasn't in properly, and neither was the second, they were both leaking. I have put a third in, and had several corrections from the pump. It has only came down one unit, and I am really fed up now. It also stings when the insulin goes in. I was really excited when I got it. Now I just feel like throwing the towel in? I have checked for ketones, and fortunately there are none present. What can I do, I can't eat, and although I have my pen, I need to know my pump is working properly? Any quick replies would be most appreciated

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Just because nobody has replied I just wanted to give some moral support. Hopefully someone who has experience with a pump can come along and give some good advice. I've heard of parents having to repeat set changes 3 times in a day to get them right and at the start it must be very hard.

Maybe change this post to the pump forum.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Moving this to the Insulin Pump Forum where it may get seen by some of our pumpers.

iHs

Hi

Try not to worry. You can always give yourself a small correction using a pen. It usually saves the day if you are having trouble.

Sometimes the Insets (are you using them?) can unfortunately leak. Its not very often though, they are usually very reliable. You do need to put them in right. Try lying down on your back in bed and then really pull back the white spring inside the set so that it cocks locked. Then press the set housing firmly against your skin and press the sides inwards and the spring will release itself and the introducer will go in very quickly. All youve got to do then is pull the set housing away from the skin.

What you might not be remembering to do is to prime the cannula after you have inserted it. It usually takes about 1-1.5u of bolus to prme it. Also, make sure that the tube you are using is also primed with a steady stream of insulin coming out of the tube clip needle.

Hello, thanks for the replies, it did come down eventually nearly 4 hours later to 10.5. Had a light tea, then checked again and it was on 11.2. This morning it was 10.9 upon waking, and has gone up over the morning to 13.0. I have just done a correction with the pump, and am hoping it was sort itself out? I am experiencing difficulty in doing the set changes, we only had a few hours practice with the nurse, and I do not feel that was enough? I will try lying down in bed to do the insert, I do not feel particularly confident using it, and I am going to let the nurse know when I return on Monday to discuss how I am doing? Thanks again for all the advice, and merry christmas to all the forum members?

iHs

I think you've now got to start looking in the Animas instruction booklet at how you go about changing your basal rates and insulin to carb ratios. When you first started pumping yr dsn just put you on a starting level so that is why you are finding yr bg levels going a bit up and then you need to use a correction dose. When you see yr dsn you can chat to her about this.

Try not to be frightened of the Inset. It really will go in so fast that the brain hasn't really got any time to register pain. If you cant lie down in bed and be relaxed, try standing up and look at the tele at the same time release the spring. Once youve put a set in a few times you'll be able to do with yr eyes closed.

This link is fairly good for showing step by step piccies at how to go about putting an Inset in
http://www.infusion-set.com/index.asp?pageid=H2300

You can if you want ask to use another infusion set. Any set with a luer connection will be ok.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Agree with iHS, I am on Accuchek pump, and different insets, but I generally find if my sets are painful when I put them in or immediately afterwards, then they need to be changed. Even today 4 months from going on to pump and sets, I had a problem with the first set I put in, as soon as I walked with it in my leg it crucified me, so I changed it to a different position. You will honestly find that you will get the right places, and the right sets to use, but it may take some monioring and discussions with DSN to realise this.

Agree with iHS about basals too.....if you have any levels above 12, then your basal rates are very significantly wrong and need to be checked out. If your levels are high or low 2-3 hours after bolus's then your carb factor is wrong.

You really need to address some of these matters, rahter than waiting for an appointment with the DSN. Get out your training manuals, read other books about insulin pumping... you will have all the answers in front of you, and at the end of the day it is you that needs to manage the pump and to live with it 24/7.

I know that I sound harsh, but I don't mean to. It is just that the sooner you take control of the pump and this new regime, the better you will manage your life with it. To me unless a DSN is actually a pump user, then she is a gudance tool who has learnt from text books or pump manufacturers or from patients experiences. The DSN will not actually have lived the life of a pump user unless she has a pump......it is a far different regime to MDI, but it is totally manageable by patients......

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello

I'm on the Anmas 2020 and had some problems getting to grips with the inset. What helped me in the early days was doing my reservoir change and set change individually. Yes it wasted more sets but it helped me get to grips with doing each part right.

With the stinging that is one of the only negatives of the 2020. It delivers the insulin much quicker than other pumps and can sting. A quick way to help with this is to go into the advanced settings menu and change the delivery speed to SLOW. Also if one site is more stingy I only bolus 5 units max in one go.

I have never had an inset leak. Are you really really tightening the tube onto the end of the reservoir enough?

With the insets you need to be careful not to push too hard onto your skin. Just rest the set on top. Then make sure you push both sides of the unit together. I wait a minute before pulling the needle out as I find the set sticks better. I also fire the set into the air once before I fire it into me. This loosens up the device a little and I find it less clunky.

If you want any advice or just to chat about pumping with the animas feel free to message me :)

Hello there, thanks for the reply, I have now changed my inset to a 90 degree automatic device instead. I am hoping it will suit me better, as I have a lot of muscle in my stomach, as I play sport.
When I saw the nurse today she mentioned trying the combo, as I tend of go high as the day goes on, I am really careful with my carb counting, so I know its not that. However I don't feel confident enough to use it yet though, if you could explain more about how it works, and how I could set it up to give me better control, I would be very grateful.

I have only had my pump a short time, and getting through christmas was hard work, I though I would get to enjoy all the naughty extra's but didn't indulge much as my levels kept rising. I know I have a lot to learn, and it will take time to get the hang of it. The team I have at the hospital are very good, but you only have a short time to discuss problems with them, and I need to get the confidence to be independent with the pump.

I really want the pump to work for me, so any advice or tips on how other pumpers got the hang of it, would be much appreciated?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi

To manage life with a pump, you really do have to get used to changing the basals and checking that your carb ratio's are right.

As you have said time with DSN's etc are very short and to be honest unless they actually live with a pump they can only give theoretical/other patients experiences as advice.

I haven't got an animas, I am on a combo, so it is harder to advise, but the basics of the pump and how are bodies work are the same-ish.

1) If your levels are going high 2-3 hours after eating then you will probably need to adjust your carb ratio's, ie if you are currently 1unit =10grams, then you could try adjusting it to 1 to 9 and then 1 to 8.

2) If your levels are going high without eating then your basals need to be adjusted. You will need to adjust your basals upward by 0.2 per hour starting 3 hours before your levels start to go high.

Sorry to say, but the pump is only a mechanical tool, but every part of the information has to be programmed in to it by us, the humans still. It is not an easy fix to diabetes, and does involve more work initially to make it work.

How long have you been on the animas now? What benefit does your DSN think you will get from a combo?

I have only had my pump since 13th of December, and the nurse worked out all my basal rates, and carb to insulun ratio's. I am still learning about how the pump works, and there is an AWFUL lot of information to take in. The hospital want to monitor me , till I know what sort of basal rates I know are going to work for me. I am not a very technical person, and I don't feel confident playing around with the pump, till I know exactly what I am doing.

The reason they want me to try the combo is as I said in my earlier post, I tend to have larger carboydrates as the day goes on, and obviously need more insulin. My nurse felt the combo would benefit me for that reason.

My hospital have told me that I will need lots of support, and i feel this is something that will be on going till I get the hang of working the pump. Obviously some pump users are happy to work things out for themselves, but I want the reassurance, till I know exactly what I am doing?

sugar2

Hi,

Hope things are sorting out for you now? From what you have said, it looks like your basal is about right...as you are remaining at a constant level...although that level is too high, which to nme indicates that you need to slwoly increase your ration of insulin to food.

To be honest, I think, if you haven't already you should go back to teh nurse and gets some personal advice.

Best of luck!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Diabetic Mum of 4

My apologies, I didn't realise (my stupidity) that you had only been on pump since 13th Dec.

1st off:

Have you tried testing your basals every 2 hours during the night? What were the results like? I was initially set up at 0.44 or 0.47 (can't remember now-but me personally, I have not got one single hourly rate that has stayed the same as I was set up on.

You mention that you carb count exactly, so do I, every minute gram of lettuce even!!!! But that does not mean to say that your carb ratio is correct. Agaian, I can only speak from my experience, but I was set up on a 1 to 10g basis, but had to change this as well.

Give yourself a pat on your back and a lot of praise, same as Hazza, for being brave enough to do a change over from MDI to the pump pre christmas......

Just wanted to say thanks for all the words of encouragement, it is getting better, dare I say it, but I know I still have lots to learn? I definitely have more energy than I used too, and I can do exercise now, with my levels staying quite consistent. I think I will reap the benefits of being on a pump, it is scary, and I still get anxious sometimes, but I believe the effort is worth it. How long did it take everyone else to feel confident with their pumps? You only get a limited amount of help from the professionals, so it is great to have these forums, and the good advice of othe pumpers!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I had a lot of help from a feloow pumper on this forum, so it took about 6 weeks for me to get used to the pump and how it worked and the confidence to use it and to understand it. Thanks to the other member here though, I had a lot of help that my HCP never had the time to give me.

My HCP say to allow 6-8 months, so I guess that is the amount of time needed.

I'm still learning, this was my first Christmas-and the first time I have ate almost all day, and had to learn how to cope with that.

But hey, there is a lot of help from experienced pumpers that helps so much to understand and cope with living with a pump. It does get easier, although hiccups along the way will occur.....