Pump sensors

Mark DOBIE

My nurse and I are so fed up with my equipment that I'm now considering giving it up. Diabetes that is.
My sensor keeps saying updating, medtronic have been informed but don't listen to me. They keep sending new sensors (Guardian 3 and 4), when I need a new transmitter. My health has deteriorated significantly as I have no way of knowing if hypo or not. hypos consistently due to lack of appetite and heat.
I've been updated with a new pump which my nurse has pushed for and she is now on annual leave so won't get the train until she comes back August 10, I don't think I can cope anymore

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @Mark DOBIE and I'm sorry you are having difficulties.

Hopefully some pump users will be along soon but till they do let me welcome you and make a couple of (possibly unhelpful) suggestions.

1) Is it an option for you to go back to MDI till you nurse gets back?
2) When you say you can't detect hypos is that because you've lost hypo awareness or because you're expecting your sensor to work?
3) If you can't get the guardian sensors to work would it be an option to buy an over the counter libre to keep you going as regards hypo warnings till your nurse gets back?

Good luck, and once more, welcome.

Reactions: Hopeful34

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Mark DOBIE I hope you meant you've been upgraded to Medtronic's latest pump, the 780G. If so, it should make a huge difference to you, so don't lose heart. Things will get better one way or another.

Meanwhile, you have to deal with your present situation. Have you tried "marinating" a new sensor for several hours? This means inserting a new sensor but only using one overtape and leaving it to get used to the body fluids around it. (I do this the morning of a sensor change day, leaving the still working old sensor attached to the transmitter till I'm ready to change over . . . usually about 5 hours later.) I have done this ever since my first couple of sensors caused me problems and I read about marinating. It made a huge difference for me. Also, Medtronic favours attaching the sensor and transmitter in a north/south manner, but this doesn't work for me. I use an east/west attachment method which causes no problem for me.

The first day of a new sensor is usually the worst. Make sure you stay well hydrated (especially during the marinating period). Obviously this is especially important during hot weather. I drink loads of decaf tea during that first day but any non alcoholic fluid without caffeine would be good.

I know Medtronic can cause a lot of frustration. They never seen to accept that it could be the transmitter that's faulty. If you haven't already tried marinating your sensor, go on, try it. I hope this helps. Good luck