Pump start day advice

jnk001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Moveable pumps don't have to be on a belt :) You can put them anywhere (within reason!) In fact, for some people that's the attraction: it's easy to move and easy to disconnect temporarily :)

maybe i was a bit simplistic , obviously if a pimp is connected to a tube that has a canula on it then the insulin resovoir needs to be somewhere , on a belt , in a pocket etc . mt point was that the omipod doesn't have these drawbacks so is less intrusive

Reactions: sandra curtis

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
maybe i was a bit simplistic , obviously if a pimp is connected to a tube that has a canula on it then the insulin resovoir needs to be somewhere , on a belt , in a pocket etc . mt point was that the omipod doesn't have these drawbacks so is less intrusive

Matter of opinion @jnk001 :) I actually prefer tubed pumps, as do many other people. We're all different.

My pump (Animas Vibe) is tiny, adaptable, robust - and I love it! I frequently pat my waist because I think I've forgotten to put it on. It's that small and unobtrusive :)

I like the very low profile cannula and the ability to move my pump according to what I'm wearing and doing :)

The OP's son will be having the Medtronic and I'm sure he'll love it. It's a fantastic pump :)

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey @Worriedmum26, you have great timing as we've just started on Medtronic 640g this morning with my 6yo Daughter. It's a lot to take in and a complete regime change. School tomorrow as well!!

Make sure you get the pouch for start day. My daughter loves hers and is not fussed at all wearing it all day, disconnecting for showers and sleeping with it. We used PouchForAll...a great selection of children's ones and was delivered in 2 days. Will probably end up buying 5 more from them. Just deciding between super slim and standard width, whichever she is most comfortable wearing.

The day itself has been ok. More hypo's than usual but have treated with the tabs and has stayed within range. However, right now she is 12.7 diagonal up on Libre with 11.9 on prick. Not really sure what is going on. Infusion set seems fine with no air bubbles. It's gonna be a long night I fear. We've kind of accepted that the next 4 to 6 weeks will be brutal but will be worth it for better control in the long run.

Do as the nurses have said and check with the Contour Next Link as much as possible. Log it all down and send it to them every day. Keep them on side for the first few weeks at least. Once over the initial stage we will change rates ourselves. I'm currently reading Pumping Insulin to get some more knowledge of it all.

The set changes are ok. A little complicated but can see that we will get the hang of it pretty quick. She has not complained of any pain during insertion and afterwards and it has stayed on well thus far.

Best of luck with it...i'm convinced it is the right thing to do.

Worriedmum26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Hey @Worriedmum26, you have great timing as we've just started on Medtronic 640g this morning with my 6yo Daughter. It's a lot to take in and a complete regime change. School tomorrow as well!!

Make sure you get the pouch for start day. My daughter loves hers and is not fussed at all wearing it all day, disconnecting for showers and sleeping with it. We used PouchForAll...a great selection of children's ones and was delivered in 2 days. Will probably end up buying 5 more from them. Just deciding between super slim and standard width, whichever she is most comfortable wearing.

The day itself has been ok. More hypo's than usual but have treated with the tabs and has stayed within range. However, right now she is 12.7 diagonal up on Libre with 11.9 on prick. Not really sure what is going on. Infusion set seems fine with no air bubbles. It's gonna be a long night I fear. We've kind of accepted that the next 4 to 6 weeks will be brutal but will be worth it for better control in the long run.

Do as the nurses have said and check with the Contour Next Link as much as possible. Log it all down and send it to them every day. Keep them on side for the first few weeks at least. Once over the initial stage we will change rates ourselves. I'm currently reading Pumping Insulin to get some more knowledge of it all.

The set changes are ok. A little complicated but can see that we will get the hang of it pretty quick. She has not complained of any pain during insertion and afterwards and it has stayed on well thus far.

Best of luck with it...i'm convinced it is the right thing to do.

Hi it was our pump start day today, your right it is a lot to take in was really nervous in the morning but when we got there
It went great. I entered his details into the pump myself and also did the set change ,he cried but was fine after 5 minutes
We had one hypo today and other than that he's been within target, it's our first night tonight so hopefully will stay like that.
The libre can sometimes be a little inaccurate but sometimes they are spot on like today it's been nearly the same as the contour next link.i wouldn't worry too much it's initially trial and error until a routine is established
Yes I agree I'm just doing as I'm told by the nurses which is great as they have been so helpful whenever I need to ask anything or advice
I ended buying from pouch for all too ,I hasn't arrived yet hopefully tomarow ,he's got it in a zipped pocket at the moment
But overall feeling very optimistic and my son is happy as well which is the main thing, he's a couple of days off school as his teachers will be given training on Tuesday!

Anyway thanks for the reply, it's really nice to hear your not alone