Pump start day advice

Worriedmum26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, the last time I posted on this forum was about 2 years ago when my son was newly diagnosed at 4 years old
He's now 6 and will soon be starting on a pump in fact in 2 days time is start date. I regularly read this forum for all sorts of reasons, sometimes when I'm worried and need support,sometimes when I need advice ,sometimes as not too feel alone as a parent of a type 1 diabetic and sometimes about the pro and cons of pump therapy, after weighing up I felt it would help him a lot for all sorts of reasons after discussing it with his hospital doctor several times she finally agreed.it has been nearly 4 months that it's been decided he will go on it, in that time I have been very optimistic the last month I have been learning about it with the help of diabetes nurses and I feel I understand it but it is very daunting as it's such a big change to routine and I hope it's worth it, if anyones child has just come on a pump I would appreciate the advice ,how did they feel and how did u feel,what's it like with the change, is it worth it
I need to also buy a pouch for him and I'm strugling to find one that's right for him
I like the spibelt but the kids one says size 14 inch to 26 inch and his waist is 27 inch and the adult one is 26 to 40 inch so which one would be best for his size, any links would be great
And any other advice would be much appreciated

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Worriedmum26 :)

Tagging @Skye's_mummy for you :) You could check out the Funky Pumpers site for belts.

Don't be too worried about the pump. The anticipation is far worse than the reality. They're also not as complicated as they seem :)

Skye's_mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, the last time I posted on this forum was about 2 years ago when my son was newly diagnosed at 4 years old
He's now 6 and will soon be starting on a pump in fact in 2 days time is start date. I regularly read this forum for all sorts of reasons, sometimes when I'm worried and need support,sometimes when I need advice ,sometimes as not too feel alone as a parent of a type 1 diabetic and sometimes about the pro and cons of pump therapy, after weighing up I felt it would help him a lot for all sorts of reasons after discussing it with his hospital doctor several times she finally agreed.it has been nearly 4 months that it's been decided he will go on it, in that time I have been very optimistic the last month I have been learning about it with the help of diabetes nurses and I feel I understand it but it is very daunting as it's such a big change to routine and I hope it's worth it, if anyones child has just come on a pump I would appreciate the advice ,how did they feel and how did u feel,what's it like with the change, is it worth it
I need to also buy a pouch for him and I'm strugling to find one that's right for him
I like the spibelt but the kids one says size 14 inch to 26 inch and his waist is 27 inch and the adult one is 26 to 40 inch so which one would be best for his size, any links would be great
And any other advice would be much appreciated

Hi,
Is there anything specifically that's worrying you? Otherwise I could write a book about the pros and cons lol!!
We get our pump belts from funky pumpers, we always order one that started at the size we need as they expand so will hopefully last a bit longer.
Please feel free to drop me a message anytime. My LO is 2 1/2 so a bit younger but I'm sure I can still help, as for what she feels about it, she's pretty indifferent to be honest!!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
what pump are you getting? do you use Libre or dexcom? if not could you get a Libre for the first couple of weeks at the least to help you figure it out?

Reactions: Worriedmum26

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Worriedmum26 Afraid I can't comment on the child aspect, but WRT to pouches, you may want to look at http://www.pouchforall.co.uk/
I have bought 3 of them for night time use and am pretty sure they do child sizes (esp. considering the designs they offer!). They are excellent, and comfortable. They fit my Vibe perfectly, so may depend on what pump you are getting. Regards, Paul

Worriedmum26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Is there anything specifically that's worrying you? Otherwise I could write a book about the pros and cons lol!!
We get our pump belts from funky pumpers, we always order one that started at the size we need as they expand so will hopefully last a bit longer.
Please feel free to drop me a message anytime. My LO is 2 1/2 so a bit younger but I'm sure I can still help, as for what she feels about it, she's pretty indifferent to be honest!!
Thanks for replying
Just how they feel with it on all the time and does it hurt them when you do the set change, and also has the pump not worked anytime with or if you have ever had a problem with highs because of the pump or dka.
Is it better than injection overall

Worriedmum26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what pump are you getting? do you use Libre or dexcom? if not could you get a Libre for the first couple of weeks at the least to help you figure it out?

Thanks for replying
He's getting the Medtronic minimed 640g .he uses the libre and has been for several months,how will the libre help ?
because I've been told I will need to check his blood glucose with the contour next link every 2 hours at the beginning so I thought I might stop using the libre for a while as there be no point

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for replying
Just how they feel with it on all the time and does it hurt them when you do the set change, and also has the pump not worked anytime with or if you have ever had a problem with highs because of the pump or dka.
yes its better than injections by miles. set changes are once every 3 days as opposed to 12-15 or more injections in the same time. I've had a pump break once and had to go back to injections for two days but I've not had ketones in 3.5 years of being on a pump.

Worriedmum26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Worriedmum26 Afraid I can't comment on the child aspect, but WRT to pouches, you may want to look at http://www.pouchforall.co.uk/
I have bought 3 of them for night time use and am pretty sure they do child sizes (esp. considering the designs they offer!). They are excellent, and comfortable. They fit my Vibe perfectly, so may depend on what pump you are getting. Regards, Paul
Thanks paul I'll have look

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for replying
He's getting the Medtronic minimed 640g .he uses the libre and has been for several months,how will the libre help ?
because I've been told I will need to check his blood glucose with the contour next link every 2 hours at the beginning so I thought I might stop using the libre for a while as there be no point
no I wouldn't agree with stopping it, if you have the libre and its accurate then why test?

Skye's_mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for replying

She's really not bothered about having it on, she doesn't tell me it hurts and I've tried a few cannulas too which really didn't hurt at all.
We've had 2 cannula failures so far, she's never ended up in DKA. It works for us because of the small increments you can change in doses. Overall we have a lot better control with a pump than we ever did with injections.

Worriedmum26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
no I wouldn't agree with stopping it, if you have the libre and its accurate then why test?
Yes it is fairly accurate,but I've been told by the nurses they would like to know the bg exactly as they believe the libre isn't,they want me to use the contour next link as they want me to use that to upload on computer and they can see too at hospital,
I was also a bit worried about that but they said it's only when he starts on the pump I have to check bg every 2 hours night and day until he's settled on it
And I was just wondering if I'm going to have to check every two hours anyway than there's no point in wasting sensors

Worriedmum26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She's really not bothered about having it on, she doesn't tell me it hurts and I've tried a few cannulas too which really didn't hurt at all.
We've had 2 cannula failures so far, she's never ended up in DKA. It works for us because of the small increments you can change in doses. Overall we have a lot better control with a pump than we ever did with injections.

That's honestly really assuring I think I was just getting last minute nerves!

Reactions: Skye's_mummy

Worriedmum26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes its better than injections by miles. set changes are once every 3 days as opposed to 12-15 or more injections in the same time. I've had a pump break once and had to go back to injections for two days but I've not had ketones in 3.5 years of being on a pump.
That's one of the main reason we decided on it ,he hates injection even after two years thanks for the reassurance that's really good to know

Worriedmum26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So if the sizes say on the spibelt says size 14 inch to 26 inch and one size say is 26 to 40 inch
he is 27 inch
Which size would I need to buy

Skye's_mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So if the sizes say on the spibelt says size 14 inch to 26 inch and one size say is 26 to 40 inch
he is 27 inch
Which size would I need to buy

Personally I would go for the 26-40 inch. 26 is the smallest size you can adjust the pump belt to.

jnk001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Worriedmum26 :)

Tagging @Skye's_mummy for you :) You could check out the Funky Pumpers site for belts.

Don't be too worried about the pump. The anticipation is far worse than the reality. They're also not as complicated as they seem :)

I would advise the omnipod system where it connects to the control unit by bluetooth rather than one on attached to a belt - the insulin is in a pod ( about the sixe of a cockroach ) that attaches to the skin . You can shower , swim etc with it attached , its what i have , and i would not have considered one that was on a belt

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would advise the omnipod system where it connects to the control unit by bluetooth rather than one on attached to a belt - the insulin is in a pod ( about the sixe of a cockroach ) that attaches to the skin . You can shower , swim etc with it attached , its what i have , and i would not have considered one that was on a belt

Moveable pumps don't have to be on a belt :) You can put them anywhere (within reason!) In fact, for some people that's the attraction: it's easy to move and easy to disconnect temporarily :)

Reactions: Skye's_mummy