Pumps and dresses

Ica291

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi ladies,

I want to know if anyone out there has found somewhere to wear the pump that doesn't show or is annoying to wear with dresses?

I have two different types of waist belts and so far these are my best option but the pump (medtronic) sticks out a lot, I tend to wear it on my bum so it looks less weird, if it can. This distorts the shape and look of dresses.

I have tried wearing it in my bra (although not all dresses warrant a bra), but I find this incredibly uncomfortable and still noticeable. I'm not small chested either and they dig into the breast tissue (if it's not good for bras to dig in, why should a pump be any different?!)

It's the only thing that really bugs me about the pump, it's so big, bulky and uncomfortable to wear (that and 3 days comes round waaaaay too quick ) . So hoping someone has some tricks or ideas how to make it less so.

Thanks for your time!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Ica291 I agree with bras, I find it uncomfortable too and they dig into my chest - I have worn a pump belt doubled up on my thigh and kept the pump in there, it's not easy to access though so requires a trip to the loo to do doses, but as I don't wear dresses very often I see it as a minor inconvenience.

Reactions: porl69

Ica291

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for responding @Juicyj, is the pump then on the outside of your thigh?

I never wear dresses either but went on a mad one and bought 4 for the summer.

I'll try a thigh belt but am not convinced anywhere is going to be that good

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I keep the pump on the inside of the thigh, it's worked fine for me in the past, only done it a couple of times, it really depends on the style of dress too, this one was a silky effect so any bumps/bulges were quit visible, I have got away with just using a pump belt around the waist when wearing a jacket as it's not so visible then.

D

Deleted Account

I too go for the thigh. There's no need to buy a new pump holder, I just wrap the pump belt around my thigh twice.
Putting it on the inside of my thigh hides it most of the time but depends on the fit of the dress.
It is not great if I am having to walk a lot as it tends to rub a little. But if I am walking a lot, I am not usually wearing a dress. Who am I kidding? I am not normally wearing a dress, full stop.

One word of advice based on experience - don't wear a dress with a pump on your thigh at the airport. I did this once, randomly set the alarm off going through the archway and they wanted to see what was attached to my leg ... in front of everyone. I was a tad uncomfortable lifting my dress in a crowded airport and stick with trousers when flying now.

Reactions: porl69

Jaxx

I used to wear the Paradigm Veo centre-front of my bra when wearing a dress, but with its clip on the back my 640G is way too bulky for that! For easy access and because I really don't care if it shows, I usually attach it to the neckline on the outside of a dress so that the clip inside holds on to the top edge or strap of my bra. (Currently experimenting with silicone strap holders as well to see if it's more secure - I'm not optimistic!) Sleeveless/strapless dresses are easier because it often attaches more firmly to the lower back edge of the armhole or top of the dress just behind the arm.

Saffron26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I spent ages trying on different styles of bras to find one that suited a pump - I found one that had magic wire instead of ordinary wire so can wear a hid-in belt with the pump underneath the boobs so it doesn’t dig in or stick out. The belt sits under the bra strap at the back if that makes sense?

Reactions: Juicyj

Ica291

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you all for the tips/advice

@helensaramay really useful tip re airports! I will defos remember that from the image I have in my head of you nightmare!

With regards to attaching to the neckline, is this on the back of the dress? I think it could work on sturdy dresses, but wouldn't want to damage any. I also have a little person that wants cuddles etc, so always try to wear it where it doesn't get in the way.

And what is this bra/belt where it goes underneath the bra?! Please do share links for me! I've given up on wired bras now, but that's a whole other non diabetic topic

My waist belts sit on my hips rather than waist, am I wearing them too big??

Saffron26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The belt I use is from www.hid-in.com, it can be worn in several different ways. The bra I found best was a triumph one with magic wire so not really wired but more flexible underneath so it sort of moulds itself over the pump - also useful in not setting off alarms in airports as it is not metal.