puzzled re medication

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
hi peeps just had my review with nurse and weight loss exercise going really well however she said now ALL newly diagnosed diabetics have Metformin for cardiac risk according to NICE guidelines goodness me my gp said i could do it by diet and exercise now she tells me this im confused to say the least any body offer any advice

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Hi

Here are the nice guidelines. https://cks.nice.org.uk/diabetes-type-2#!scenario

What were your hba1c results if I may ask? Your status says prediabetic (sometimes the website for all it's awesomeness says the wrong thing) and if you are pre diabetic then I would suggest asking the nurse why they said what they said and not just quote nice recommendations.

Have you had the welcome advice from @Daisy 1 ?

Edit by mod to tag the correct @daisy1 , no worries Ross no harm done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
thanks Ross im actually type 2 but cant seem to get my profile to say it my Hba1c at diagnosis was 51 i have been low carbing and lost about 18lbs so far according to nurse what do you think

Reactions: Guzzler

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Tracieann
As I read it the NICE guidelines allow for treating type 2 with diet and no medication. Your nurse can only offer meds she can’t make you take them. Do your research and decide what you feel is right for you. Many Type 2s on this forum just use a low carb diet for control.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi peeps just had my review with nurse and weight loss exercise going really well however she said now ALL newly diagnosed diabetics have Metformin for cardiac risk according to NICE guidelines goodness me my gp said i could do it by diet and exercise now she tells me this im confused to say the least any body offer any advice
Hello,
Im newly diagnosed (2 months ago) and I had the choice to either go on meds or with diet and exercise and I've chosen diet and exercise. I want to see what I can do myself before relying on meds. If they recommend meds at my next review I wouldn't take them, not until I'm 100% sure I need the help from meds. Atm Im lchf. I have my review next month
Hth.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been type 2 for 7 years. No, we do not have to take any medication. We have a choice. I chose not to take metformin and have remained medication free. Your nurse has misunderstood.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think your nurse may be misinterpreting matters. Diet and lifestyle is normally a first step for those that don't have a high HbA1c such as yourself. In any event, you have the choice. She can only advise. She can't force you.

Reactions: HSSS

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks Ross im actually type 2 but cant seem to get my profile to say it my Hba1c at diagnosis was 51 i have been low carbing and lost about 18lbs so far according to nurse what do you think

Tracieann - would it behelpful if I changed your status to T2, if you're not able to do that yourself?