1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

puzzled re medication

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Tracieann, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Tracieann

Tracieann Prediabetes · Member

hi peeps just had my review with nurse and weight loss exercise going really well however she said now ALL newly diagnosed diabetics have Metformin for cardiac risk according to NICE guidelines goodness me my gp said i could do it by diet and exercise now she tells me this im confused to say the least any body offer any advice

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Ross.Walker

Ross.Walker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi

Here are the nice guidelines. https://cks.nice.org.uk/diabetes-type-2#!scenario

What were your hba1c results if I may ask? Your status says prediabetic (sometimes the website for all it's awesomeness says the wrong thing) and if you are pre diabetic then I would suggest asking the nurse why they said what they said and not just quote nice recommendations.

Have you had the welcome advice from @Daisy 1 ?

Edit by mod to tag the correct @daisy1 , no worries Ross no harm done.

#2 Ross.Walker, Mar 20, 2019 at 4:45 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  3. Tracieann

thanks Ross im actually type 2 but cant seem to get my profile to say it my Hba1c at diagnosis was 51 i have been low carbing and lost about 18lbs so far according to nurse what do you think

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Tracieann
    As I read it the NICE guidelines allow for treating type 2 with diet and no medication. Your nurse can only offer meds she can’t make you take them. Do your research and decide what you feel is right for you. Many Type 2s on this forum just use a low carb diet for control.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Starfish18

Starfish18 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Im newly diagnosed (2 months ago) and I had the choice to either go on meds or with diet and exercise and I've chosen diet and exercise. I want to see what I can do myself before relying on meds. If they recommend meds at my next review I wouldn't take them, not until I'm 100% sure I need the help from meds. Atm Im lchf. I have my review next month
    Hth.

6. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I have been type 2 for 7 years. No, we do not have to take any medication. We have a choice. I chose not to take metformin and have remained medication free. Your nurse has misunderstood.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I think your nurse may be misinterpreting matters. Diet and lifestyle is normally a first step for those that don't have a high HbA1c such as yourself. In any event, you have the choice. She can only advise. She can't force you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Tracieann - would it behelpful if I changed your status to T2, if you're not able to do that yourself?

9. Tracieann

yes it would thank you very much

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook