Question about BG Levels

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Just a couple of quick opinions wanted if anyone has any (everyone has them!):

- Is it bad to exceed 9mmol on a regular basis (i.e. a few times a week), assuming this carries on for a honeymoon period of 6-12 months or more?
- In terms of moving over to a bolus regime - DSN says eat more and check the outcomes, and from there, they will work out my 'ratios'. I feel like it has to be better to use small amounts of 'fast acting' first and then eat more carbs accordingly- Thoughts? I feel thanks to this site, educated enough to test, monitor and go from there, rather than having to go through the process of deliberately putting my BG up so the DSN can make adjustments accordingly.

To give a background, i was diagnosed 4 months ago and i'm on a honeymoon phase so 4 lantus is enough if i stick to 100-150g carbs a day. I fully appreciate this condition hasn't even really got going for me yet.

D

Deleted Account

I try to keep my BG below 10 but do not stress when it goes higher as diabetes is so unpredictable.
I think you are suggesting to "eat to your insulin". If so, this is very restrictive. The test, eat, test regime is focused more at people with type 2 (who are the majority on this forum ... and in "real" life). The idea with type 1 is to work out your ratios and inject according to what you are going to eat. This gives you far more freedom.
The risk of a week or so with slightly higher BG causing major complication is incredibly low.
Whereas, the benefits are huge with regard to flexibility.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re exceeding 9 - depends on how long you exceed it for. Personally I'd not worry about 9s, and instead think about maybe 12 and higher - want to get rid of those, and even then, hitting 12 or even rather higher and coming down quickly won't be a big deal.

There's a difference between what to aim for and what to worry about. Aiming for under 9 - good, definitely worth doing and putting effort into. But if you go over, it's not catastrophic - correct it, but don't worry too hard about it.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
- Is it bad to exceed 9mmol on a regular basis (i.e. a few times a week), assuming this carries on for a honeymoon period of 6-12 months or more?
I don't think so, but I'm not sure so I try to prevent such spikes.
- In terms of moving over to a bolus regime - DSN says eat more and check the outcomes, and from there, they will work out my 'ratios'. I feel like it has to be better to use small amounts of 'fast acting' first and then eat more carbs accordingly- Thoughts? I feel thanks to this site, educated enough to test, monitor and go from there, rather than having to go through the process of deliberately putting my BG up so the DSN can make adjustments accordingly.
Your way sounds more like how I did it when starting bolus insulin. I begged my practice nurse to give me 2 weeks to figure this out on my own and go from there with the results. I had to promise to be very careful but she went with it.
I think I used up at least 15 test strips a day in those 2 weeks to try to understand what was happening when and why as much as possible. With success, when I saw her again and showed her what I'd been doing (I had written down all the test results, foods, exercise etc. in a timeline) she was happy to let me handle the dosing part of diabetes, which is how it has stayed for a couple of years now.

I guess different approaches work best for different people.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
When you are in the honeymoon phase, it makes it a little harder to control your Bg's at an even keel. But going above a nine will happen! I aim for under 9, but at least a couple of times a week life throws in a wrench! I have my Dexcom set to alert me if I go above an 8.3 which is really helpful in preventing going too high. ( during the day, at night is a whole different ballgame, I want my sleep) But not everyone has the benefit of that tech.

The medical profession hates lows, absolutely hates it, which is why they are taking the approach of only if you show you need it.
It's possible if you impress them like Antje77 did and show them finger sticks of 8 a day and carb counts you might be able to make them give on that. Personally I'm for learning to bolus as soon as possible, but I don't have a say!

Learning to bolus is a big plus, because you will slowly keep making less and less insulin. So it's an important step.

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the responses.

I totally understand that learning to Bolus effectively will be of massive benefit.

Right now, i'm not even sure where to start, breakfast has flipped from having the biggest impact on my BG to now having minimal impact (i've literally doubled my breakfast). Lunch is more variable and dinner has stayed fairly consistent. To Top it off i excersize every day! Taking all these factors into account, it just seems with the variability that it's easier for me at this stage to control diet than it is to start to try to work out Bolus ratios!

I am completely on board with carb counting and GI etc.. and am carefully controlling my diet.

I don't think so, but I'm not sure so I try to prevent such spikes.

Your way sounds more like how I did it when starting bolus insulin. I begged my practice nurse to give me 2 weeks to figure this out on my own and go from there with the results. I had to promise to be very careful but she went with it.

Nice one! I think i'll try doing the same as and when! Dr Google is obviously a danger, but the data you can collect yourself has to be better than any snapshot you can possibly provide to the DSN. No doubt i am underestimating this condition and once the reality hits i'll change my tune!

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep us posted on how you get on!
And keep in mind that we're not allowed to give any dosing advice, so you're going to have work that out on your own.
Good luck!

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I try to keep my BS below 5.5 mmol at all times with a low carb / high exercise regime it's certainly achievable

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to keep my BS below 5.5 mmol at all times with a low carb / high exercise regime it's certainly achievable

How low carb and how much exercise do you need to stay below 5.5?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
How low carb and how much exercise do you need to stay below 5.5?

It varies I cycle to work every day and run weekends but, the key is to keep your weight down as it really improves insulin sensitivity .

I can’t tolerate carbs until the evening time and tend to eat more carbs on the weekend. Some days I’m only eating 30 gramms per day. When first diagnosed I restricted myself to 30 g carbs for almost 3.5 years:-(