question about the provisional license

mo116155

hello there. I've recently applied for a provisional driving licence and I've recieved a letter from the DVLA that they've written to my doctor to assess my fitness to drive. I was wondering if anyone knows what happens after this. Although i don't really have many hypos my hba1c is kind of high. Could that affect my chances of getting a provisional licence or not? Does anyone know if there are any other factors that can impact driving for a type 1 diabetic?

mo116155

I have a problem that my ha1bc is high from my last visit to the doctor. Although now I feel my control is much better does anyone know what happens after the DVLA has written to your doctor regarding your fitness to drive. Are there any other factors that could deem one as 'unfit' to drive other than hypos and hypo awareness? because i am quite worried about my record of high blood sugars from the past.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They don't care about highs, they only care about hypos and hypo awareness (and obvious things like sight as well)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @mo116155 - as said before, hypos are the issue with driving so you can not drive below 5 mmol/l.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mo116155 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Unless you have issue with hypo awairness & have had incidents of going low & needing medical assistance?
There should be little to worry about.
The DVLA letter is just a "standard" to let you know they have received the form & it's in process...

Lol, I've had a similar letter drop through the door on the same day my renewed licence arrived.. ;)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could that affect my chances of getting a provisional licence or not?

Probably not.

As stated above, DVLA must write to your GP to ask the relevant questions. It is all part of the process.