Question my other half insists that I ask.

bkkMick

Dislikes
Chemotherapy. Just finished it.
Hi

Over the past year or more (don't know when it started but I was diagnosed type 2 in July 2008) I have developed white blotches on the back of my hands and up the forearm slightly. I don't think that it's too noticeable but my wife does. The result is that the tanned skin has white blotches randomly scattered about.

The question is: do you think this is diabetes related or something else altogether?

Thanks

Mick

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like vitiligo - try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitiligo as a starting point for research.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Mick.

Whatever it may or may not be, you should discuss this with your GP. We cannot offer a diagnosis only comments from our own experiences.

bkkMick

Dislikes
Chemotherapy. Just finished it.
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really looking for a diagnosis.

We were just curious if it was a symptom of diabetes that anyone else had experienced.

Pattidevans

There is a fairly common condition that exhibits these symptoms. I cannot recall the name for it but a friend of mine suffered from it. The cure was to rub anti-dandruff shampoo on the skin. This cured it for my friend. ISTR it was a sort of skin fungus. Sounds mad, but it was true.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My immediate thought was "vitiligo"
It's nothing to do with diabetes, although may be an auto immune response. I know a couple of people with it. Neither is diabetic.
You need to be very thorough with sunscreen
By the way it was always what Michael Jackson said caused him to change colour. It's certainly possible. I did once see a "black" man who was mostly white with just a few brown patches.

Eurydice333

Dislikes
my complete lack of motivation about anything.
Psoriasis is linked with diabetes.

I have white blobs on my fore arm that don't flake, but the patches of psoriasis on my scalp do. Just go to the doctor maybe he can give you some pointers/help. I'm also getting tiny patches near my hip bones which i think might be psoriasis too.

Good luck with finding out!there's nothing wrong with doing the doctors head in with questions (also if it is psoriasis, one ointment might flare it up, another might do nothing and another will be great, so it's trial and error, took me years of trial and error to find the right ones)