Type 2 Question on Blood Sugar Levels

AzureDan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

I been diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago, i'm 26 years old. I lost quite a bit of fat and gained a bit of muscle on my journey trying to reverse diabetes. I never found a clear cut guide on what your blood sugar should be for a normal person without diabetes say if they have a sugary drink or a big dinner what would their blood sugar be like after 2 hours compared with someone with diabetes?

Reactions: Looseboy

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Someone not having diabetes should return to their normal BS 2 hours after a typical meal. This should mean around 6-7 mmol but at most below 8.5 mmol.

Reactions: Prem51

AzureDan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Someone not having diabetes should return to their normal BS 2 hours after a typical meal. This should mean around 6-7 mmol but at most below 8.5 mmol.

Hi Daibell thanks for the reply! How about a sugary meal though? Would you expect someone without diabetes to be 6-7 after 2 hours?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reactions: Prem51

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Good question @AzureDan
I have asked similar in the past as I am new to this and want to know what I am aiming for.

At this moment I use the link provided above as a guide and am glad to say my meter tells me I am in normal range with my readings. However I know people out there like them even lower than those numbers.

I am just waiting on my first HbA1c since diagnosis to tell me if this is the case or not I.e am i normal

Also like you I plan on gaining muscle ( whilst losing fat)

Good luck

Reactions: AzureDan

AzureDan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good question @AzureDan
I have asked similar in the past as I am new to this and want to know what I am aiming for.

At this moment I use the link provided above as a guide and am glad to say my meter tells me I am in normal range with my readings. However I know people out there like them even lower than those numbers.

I am just waiting on my first HbA1c since diagnosis to tell me if this is the case or not I.e am i normal

Also like you I plan on gaining muscle ( whilst losing fat)

Good luck

Yeah, the reason being I always see graphs similar to this http://www.bloodsugarbattles.com/images/blood-sugar-chart.jpg where they don't really state what they are eating and if sugar levels of a non diabetic go back to 4.5-5.5 after a sugary or high carb meal. I'm interested to see the sugar levels of a non-diabetic after a few pizza slices.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, the reason being I always see graphs similar to this http://www.bloodsugarbattles.com/images/blood-sugar-chart.jpg where they don't really state what they are eating and if sugar levels of a non diabetic go back to 4.5-5.5 after a sugary or high carb meal. I'm interested to see the sugar levels of a non-diabetic after a few pizza slices.

If you are talking pizza then the 2 hour mark is irrelevant in most cases. You can read up about the "pizza effect". It would require testing at least hal hourly after 2 hours' and may even affect levels the next morning. Normal non-diabetics after a meal with carbs should be under 7.8 at least 90 minutes after eating, and probably a lot less, depending on amount of carbs and fat.

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Depends - My other half who is not T2 her and I ate the same thing

Her starting was 4.4 where I was 5.1 and within 2 hours I was back to 5.8 where as she was running 6.5 still

Different spokes for different folk!