Questions re pumping

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys got a few questions re insulin pumps if you could be so kind to answer for me.... Been diagnosed only 18 months back and due to my insulin sensitivity and weird and wonderful timings of BS raises and drops presumably due to sporadic liver dumps my consultant and DNS feel the pump may be the way to go :) i am due to see the consultant on 6th Feb but have a few questions

1) I take it that in case of any pump failure i will still be prescribed my Novorapid and Toujeo.... is this correct?... if so will i need to carry them around with me each day?.... if so.. how long does unopened and unused insulin last at approximately room temperature?

2) Should i inadvertently miss calculate my carb intake for meals.. ie over estimate can you suspend the bolus? if so how quickly does this affect any drop?.... i currently use a Freestyle Libre and constantly check and if i note that levels are going too low and still have IOB.. i pop in a 4g carb gluco tab (or two) knowing i will get a raise of about 1.2 mmol per tab to offset any further drop (if you know what i mean)

3) As insulin is delivered by cannula... Will i still need to pre-bolus? if so.. how long does it take for insulin deliverd by pump to start lowering BS? Depending on what i eat i currently pre-bolus anything from 20-50 mins before meals

4) I am quite a restless sleeper.... tossing and turning side to side back.. then belly etc etc... is there anything on the market such as comfortable belts to keep the pump in place and to protect the 'injection or cannula site'?

I'm sure to have more questions but these are the main ones that spring to mind..... sorry if its a lote to take in but i am both excited at the possibility of a pump... but also a little apprehensive

Thanks guys

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
1) Yes you still need your pens as a back-up, so this will stay on your prescription.

2) You can suspend/cancel the bolus delivery.

3) You just pre-bolus as you do on MDI.

4) There's pump pouches available, the website Funky Pumpers is a good place to start looking for them.

Any more questions just come back and ask away :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi :)

1) Yes, you'll keep your previous insulins on your prescription as a back up. Although pump failures must be planned for, they aren't common. I've been pumping 13 years and - touch wood - have never had one.

2) Yes, you can stop the bolus while it's being delivered.

3) The pump cannula or needle goes into your subcutaneous fatty layer,,just like your pen needle so you still need to pre-bolus. It's not like a cannula that you might get in hospital.

4) The cannula site is pretty tough unless you really do catch it on something. I doesn't need protecting as such. The pump can be clipped to,your clothes, worn in a pump case on a soft belt, etc, etc

There's no need to be too apprehensive. Everyone worries beforehand but actually the reality of a pump is far different from what you might imagine prior to getting one. It's simple to use, you don't feel it, and you forget you're wearing it.

Reactions: blueeyed81

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the responses all fingers crossed a pump will be approved in Feb :)

Reactions: azure

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree with all that's been mentioned. It is quite surprising at how different the reality is to what you imagine. I too gave wrestles nights and can feel everything. Almost princess and the pea bad lol. I don't feel it at all :), I have it clipped to my pj waist band at my right hip.

I've only had insulin in it today but had the pump last week (23rd) and was pumping with saline to have a test run to get used to the pump itself.

Reactions: azure