Quick Levemir question

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long does a does a change in Levemir take to come into action, is it on the day of change or does it takes a few days?

Reason I ask is that on days I train hard and heavy I have night time lows so have lowered the Levemir evening dose by around 3 units and that is fine. HOWEVER on the days I do not train if I use that lowered dosage I am waking high around 8-10. My so question is on days I train heavy can I use the reduced dosage and the days I do not train use the non lowered dosage?

I am already reducing bolus for post training so these am only having late night lows, and this points to background insulin to me.

Thanks

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know the answer to your actual question but just wanted to ask if you have considered moving onto a pump? It is much easier to vary your basal levels on a pump

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know the answer to your actual question but just wanted to ask if you have considered moving onto a pump? It is much easier to vary your basal levels on a pump

It's on my radar, tbh I've just moved onto MDI basel bolus after 30 odd years of the twice a day 30/70 regime so just finding my feet with the new insulins.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats one of the benefits of Levemir - especially if you're splitting it, although it's suppose to last 18-24hrs it usually isn't, more like 12hrs, but it does depend on dose verses body weight. So yes I agree you should alter your basal depending on your exercise - especially if that is what you're finding is working for you.

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
when I was on levemir I was told that if my readings where low in the evening (before injection) that it was the morning dose which needed to be adjusted. If your readings are low in the morning, then Your night time dose needs to be reduced.
So on days where you are planning to train hard, you should reduce your morning dose rather than the night time dose.

Basically in simpler terms, I was told that the morning dose reflects your blood glucose levels for the 12-16 hours after that dose, and the evening dose reflects the next 12-16 hours.

So if for example (using what my levemir doses were as example):
you were taking 32 units at 8am and 38 units at 8pm,
And your levels at 6pm were 3.2mmol, it’s the morning dose which needs to be adjusted.

I too didn’t know this until I was referred to a new diabetic team, had been dosing incorrectly for 8 months by this point.

Reactions: JoeT1

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats one of the benefits of Levemir - especially if you're splitting it, although it's suppose to last 18-24hrs it usually isn't, more like 12hrs, but it does depend on dose verses body weight. So yes I agree you should alter your basal depending on your exercise - especially if that is what you're finding is working for you.

12hrs is nowhere near the mark for me, I take Levemir, don't split it. It lasts 22-23hrs for me, it's approx 65-70% of my overall of my total insulin daily, so it's fundamental I know how this works.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
12hrs is nowhere near the mark for me, I take Levemir, don't split it. It lasts 22-23hrs for me, it's approx 65-70% of my overall of my total insulin daily, so it's fundamental I know how this works.
I don't split my Levemir as I don't see the need even though it last less than 24 hours. It's much easier to adjust the dose when you only take it once a day and it's one less injection. Any dose should take effect within a day or so. I find that my Levemir needs to be increased if I increase my daily Bolus total if I eat out a lot.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yea am am currently not spilting my Levemir either I'd say it last around 20ish hours defo not 24 It is better then Lantus.

I find that my levels can start to rise from about 5--9pm-ish by themselves I usually eat around 7:30 if I am not training so the NR covers some of the low Levemir times and then take the Levemir around 8:30ish. On days I train I take both insulins with dinner around 8:30oish and the exercise stops the rise.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A levemir dose change should see an effect pretty much straight away....

Awesome so making a change on day 1 (training so lower dose) and then reverting on day 2 I should i theory experience some differences for the duration of that shot.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Awesome so making a change on day 1 (training so lower dose) and then reverting on day 2 I should i theory experience some differences for the duration of that shot.
Yeah.... that's the beauty of it.....

Alcohol is a good example too.....you just reduce your overnight dose, to accommodate the reduced output from the liver overnight and into the next day....

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good point I have a HUGE training session in the morning tomorrow then I have a stag do that night so there will be plenty of drinking. Usually I don't like to drink days I train or the night before I train tbh. So think about 10% possibly more is needed. On the old 30/70 never changed any doses for nights out I just ate a few more carbs and every 2-3 drinks swapped a diet mixer for regular one to stop lows.