quick question on water and belching

big_daddy

So yesterday I went out to lunch with my nan, ordered some chips, beans and sausages ate the whole lot with a mug of tea and 15 minutes later threw up in the toilet then drank a litre of water under 5 minutes after buying it and then I could not stop belching until after 6pm after I took some gaviscon at 3pm and then today I tried to cut back down on drinking water as my nan suggested that I could have IBS, gastroentritis or something else that is affecting my bowels. Well today I've only had 2 bowls of porridge and something like 15 to 20 pints of water with ice, a litre of no added cranberry juice and 5 mugs of tea. I could not sip my drinks and took a few gulps just to satisfy my mouth and then again in 10 minutes. Should I get checked out for any disorders with my gut as i cannot stop belching and do not ask me what my blood sugars are like as I haven't had any idea on what they are for a month now.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
None of us will diagnose you here. Go and see your GP.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those symptoms are typical of a viral infection but could be due to any one of a number of viruses. The only way to find out is to get tested. Same with bacteria. It's one for the bacteriologists and microbiologists, not this forum. It's pointless speculating especially when a test will most probably isolate the virus within a few hours of being tested. See the GP and he'll give you a form to take to the local hospital.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Do you think you are drinking too much water?

C

catherinecherub

Nobody can diagnose here but it may be that you have an electrolyte imbalance due to the excessive amounts you are drinking. This can make you vomit and feel unwell. You need to see your G.P.

The meals you have mentioned are not diabetes friendly and will raise your blood sugars which will add to your thirst.

big_daddy

Sarah69 said:
Do you think you are drinking too much water?

I think so since i've cut down on alcohol and fizzy drinks. my nan seems to think I have become a aquaholic and that I may have something called hyponatremia after watching this video on water intoxication chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

catherinecherub said:
Nobody can diagnose here but it may be that you have an electrolyte imbalance due to the excessive amounts you are drinking. This can make you vomit and feel unwell. You need to see your G.P.

The meals you have mentioned are not diabetes friendly and will raise your blood sugars which will add to your thirst.

Can stress raise blood sugars as i've been told that I look stressed out all the time and worry about the smallest problems. I know that the meals are not diabetes friendly, but i can only afford to buy so much and atm i'm currently living off mainly carb foods like oats, pasta, chips and bread as I have limited fridge and freezer space and buying fresh or frozen chicken, meat, fish and fruits is out of my budget.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was in Lidl yesterday.

Tinned herring, about 69p a tin.
Tinned meat, (chili, steak, hotdogs) about £1 a tin.
Tinned tuna ( in water) under £1

Beans, cabbages, peppers, onions, squashs, all keep for weeks in the fridge, or several days out, all less than £1.
Variety of fruit, buy the least ripe on display.

Ryvita is much better for me than bread.

£1 from homebargains.

I cant remember which supermarket you have near you, but they all have a value range of similar products.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First as everyone has said, you must really see a doctor about your symptoms.

When you've got that sorted you do need to think out what you are going to eat.
The post above offers some cheap, non perishable foods.
Another cheap alternative to mainly living off oats, pasta, bread is to use replace some of them with legumes.(lentils, chickpeas, beans).
These are lower GI, contain good amounts of protein and there is some evidence that the type of fibre in them can help increase insulin sensitivity. Mix them in dishes with lots of vegetables . Use seasonal veggies and buy from a a market and towards the end of the day.
blog about chana dahl and diabetes written by David Mendoza a person with T2. It has links to lots of recipes ( chana dahl is a particularly low GI legume which you can buy in supermarkets or probably more cheaply in Indian grocers)
http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html
more general info.
http://www.diabetes.org.nz/food_and_nut ... od/legumes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
big_daddy said:
So yesterday I went out to lunch with my nan, ordered some chips, beans and sausages ate the whole lot with a mug of tea and 15 minutes later threw up in the toilet then drank a litre of water under 5 minutes after buying it and then I could not stop belching until after 6pm after I took some gaviscon at 3pm and then today I tried to cut back down on drinking water as my nan suggested that I could have IBS, gastroentritis or something else that is affecting my bowels. Well today I've only had 2 bowls of porridge and something like 15 to 20 pints of water with ice, a litre of no added cranberry juice and 5 mugs of tea. I could not sip my drinks and took a few gulps just to satisfy my mouth and then again in 10 minutes. Should I get checked out for any disorders with my gut as i cannot stop belching and do not ask me what my blood sugars are like as I haven't had any idea on what they are for a month now.

Hello There are so many stomach and bowel conditions, It would be best for you to visit your GP about your symptoms and diabetes management. My child suffers from IBS and your symptoms are definitely not the same. It could be the onslaught on the coldness of the water hitting your stomach area. It could be many things or just a change of diet may be needed. Tinned tuna, sardines, are inexpensive, many supermarkets have very good offers on fruit and veg. You could make veg curry or hotpot. A box of 6 eggs in Asda are £1.00:D and so versatile too.

Good luck

RRB :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
big_daddy said:
my nan seems to think I have become a aquaholic

Your Nan was Aqua Marina of Stingray fame? Cool ! How is the old girl? Are the aquaphibians still upto no good?

marina1.jpg

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
big_daddy said:
i can only afford to buy so much and atm i'm currently living off mainly carb foods like oats, pasta, chips and bread as I have limited fridge and freezer space

As Phoenix mentioned things like chickpeas, lentils and beans are good for most diabetics. Try a quick and easy Chole, chickpea curry. It is easy to make, cheap and very nourishing.

Gently fry some finely chopped onion in a saucepan with a tablespoon of vegetable oil. When soft, add some ready mixed Garam Massala. You get some big packets which wil last you a long time from most asian shops. A really nice blend is from East End

East-End-Garam-Masala-250px.jpg

You'll get many meals from one packet.

Cook the garam masala and onion for another two or 3 mins than add a half a tin of chopped tomatos and allow to simmer for 10 to 15 mins.

In the meantime, open a tin of chickpeas and warm in a saucepan and leave to simmer for about ten mins. Pour off the excess water and then add the chickpeas to the tomato sauce.

You can do something similar with lentils, though you'll have to cook those separately and from scratch and add some mixed lentils to the other half a tin of tomatoes.

You can add a few extra chilli flakes if you want to hot it up or add Fenugreek (Methi) if you want to change the flavour, or indeed experiment with different spices. Keep some for the next day, it usually tastes better. It's all cheap and nourishing and ok for most type 2 diabetics.

Instead of tomatoes, you can add a tin of leaf spinach and if you have any left over meat, add that. Coop supermarkets often sell roast chickens cheap late afternoons, especially at weekends. You'll get a good roast chicken dinner and have lots of meat left over to make a chicken and spinach curry. Boil the chicken carcass with some chopped onion, carrot and celery to make a stock. Remove the remaining pieces of meat which should fall off now and add a handfull of blue dragon wholewheat noodles. It's a good, filling and nourishing soup.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/easy-thr ... able-chili

I don't really use this recipe having posted it up, but it was the inspiration.
My version

No tofu
3 tins of whatever beans I have, but at least one must be kidney beans.
Onions
Any veg I have, fresh/ leftover/frozen but cauli is good, and should be a staple.
Tinned tomatoes
Garlic- fresh- dried - or paste.
Fresh chili - keeps about 1 month, or more after the sell by date. - staple food to me.
If not, dried chili in the cupboard at all times.
As to cooking, all in the crock pot.

Eaten without rice, just the beans in it.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1898 ... stroganoff

I eat a bowlful without rice, and use a uht sour cream and chive dip type sauce, that keeps for months in the fridge, rather than fresh soured cream. I'm low fat, so I use water instead of oil, or a spray of 1 cal.

Another good bean curry is three tins of different beans, chopped onion, tin of budget tomatoes, all in a crock pot, with curry paste/powder to taste. Not a jar of sauce, as it contains sugars.
As an alternative, use any leftover veg, chopped, any type, either raw, or leftovers from the week. Chuck those in with your choice of beans. I usually include chickpeas as one of the tins, and don't have rice.

Freeze what you can't eat in individual plastic trays. (Old butterdishs, ice cream containers are fine, you don't need to spend a fortune on Tupperware. My last were 5 for £1 from roundpound).

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Big daday

I've been a broke student too but healthy low carb eating can be done.

Use a potato peeler on courgettes to make spaghetti and steam or boil instead of pasta. Make wedges or chip shapes from swede par boil for 20 minutes, spray on some oil and paprika and finish off in the oven. Two quick low car things there.

Make soup. Veg stock cubes onions, leeks, carrots parsnip. red split lentils thrown in together.

If you have an Aldi near you their veg is cheap. Chopped tomatoes are 33p per tin.

Make a massive salad and have some of their extra mature cheddar.

Have an omelette

Roast some veg in the oven
Mushroom stroganoff is so easy> Let me know if you want more ideas

You will feel so much better after losing your first few stones. I speak from experience. Please try!

Cara

big_daddy

My trip to the GP was ok. Got told my blood tests were fine as I averaged a 8.1% Hbac1 in the last 3 months and in that time I was eating more carbs than usual. Also it's been a whole year since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and just remembering the state I was in a year ago with so many needles prodded into me with my blood sugars in the 50's to now and how I feel so much better that i have control of it. But the sad :( thing is that my GP has prescribed me gliclizides for the second time after I was taken off them after a month of being diabetic. He also has said that he thinks my intake of water is not bad as my kidneys are perfect and that I should not self-diagnose myself with IBS or hyponatremia. He also told me to eat less which I shall try to do.

carraway said:
Hi Big daday

Use a potato peeler on courgettes to make spaghetti and steam or boil instead of pasta. Make wedges or chip shapes from swede par boil for 20 minutes, spray on some oil and paprika and finish off in the oven. Two quick low car things there.

Make soup. Veg stock cubes onions, leeks, carrots parsnip. red split lentils thrown in together.

If you have an Aldi near you their veg is cheap. Chopped tomatoes are 33p per tin.

Have an omelette

You will feel so much better after losing your first few stones. I speak from experience. Please try!

Cara

Hi Cara,

I do not have an Aldi near me, but I do have a Morrisons Local just 2 minutes away and 15 minutes away from me is a Tesco Metro, Sainsburys, Farm Foods and a Iceland store plus 2 markets and a fruit & veg stall that comes to the university. I do like your idea of turning courgettes into spaghetti and it got me thinking about other alternatives to carbs and decided to look in to it more. Soups for me don't keep me full for very long, but now that xmas is only 12 weeks away it's almost time for lobby to be made in my family household and it's alway lovely to have in winter.

Stroganoffs, chassuers and casseroles are disgusting and everytime my mum makes them for some reason I feel like throwing up. What snacks do you reccomend I should have as I always have a problem with snacking on the right foods to snack and also with making sure that I don't feel hungry all the time and then having cravings. Should I think about buying sugar free gum or mints as I heard that chewing gum can suppress hunger.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
There's a plethora of low carb alternatives out there. Our DCUK cookbooks make for great inspiration and having tasted many of the recipes myself, I can happily say they're bloody lovely!

I'm with you on hating casseroles... but some stews are genuinely lovely. I remember when we were making our first DCUK cook book, there was one particular stew that stood out for me. It was a mixed bean and chorizo stew if I recall correctly. Not the lowest in carbs, but it's a great starting point if you're not 100% ready to dive in to a very low carb diet. As for chewing gum, I usually find they make me feel hungrier but that might just be me being weird.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
big_daddy said:
My trip to the GP was ok. Got told my blood tests were fine as I averaged a 8.1% Hbac1 in the last 3 months and in that time I was eating more carbs than usual. Also it's been a whole year since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and just remembering the state I was in a year ago with so many needles prodded into me with my blood sugars in the 50's to now and how I feel so much better that i have control of it. But the sad :( thing is that my GP has prescribed me gliclizides for the second time after I was taken off them after a month of being diabetic. He also has said that he thinks my intake of water is not bad as my kidneys are perfect and that I should not self-diagnose myself with IBS or hyponatremia. He also told me to eat less which I shall try to do.
Hi Cara,

I do not have an Aldi near me, but I do have a Morrisons Local just 2 minutes away and 15 minutes away from me is a Tesco Metro, Sainsburys, Farm Foods and a Iceland store plus 2 markets and a fruit & veg stall that comes to the university. I do like your idea of turning courgettes into spaghetti and it got me thinking about other alternatives to carbs and decided to look in to it more. Soups for me don't keep me full for very long, but now that xmas is only 12 weeks away it's almost time for lobby to be made in my family household and it's alway lovely to have in winter.

Stroganoffs, chassuers and casseroles are disgusting and everytime my mum makes them for some reason I feel like throwing up. What snacks do you reccomend I should have as I always have a problem with snacking on the right foods to snack and also with making sure that I don't feel hungry all the time and then having cravings. Should I think about buying sugar free gum or mints as I heard that chewing gum can suppress hunger.

Do you like currys, chili, chineses, or stir fries?
Fish.
Lay off the bread, pasta, potatoes and rice with them though.
Instead,
Currys, extra chick peas,
Chili, ditto kidney beans.
Chinese, load up the sugarsnap peas, beansprouts, any beans you like.

Instead of roast potatoes, or chips, sweet potato, or squash, cut into thin slices, baked in the oven with a spray of 1 cal, and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, paprika to taste.

Snacks, more difficult, I like Muller light yoghurt, maybe a slice of low fat cheese on a ryvita, or cottage cheese.
A piece of fruit, or a handful of tomatoes.

If you have freezer room, farm foods do a good frozen veg selection, as do the others in the basic ranges.
Market at the end of the day is a good place to haggle for fresh veg as well.

Cauli, broccoli, sweet potato, squash, any type of beans, all good and keep fairly well.

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Big Daddy
I too remember the days of being a broke student and then a broke single mother. To add to all the other good advice I would suggest looking in the local library and possibly the Uni as well and select a couple of cookbooks to browse at your leisure. Following the advice from the low carb forum you will soon pick up some ideas.
At this time of the year baked squashes can be a cheap option, filled or baked, they can also be converted into dips etc.
Check your local supermarkets for reduction time, on Sunday my trip saw me come home with wood pigeon and partridge, venison steaks, which mostly went in the freezer. I roasted the partridges, served them with cauliflower rice (my first attempt) tonight I will strip any remaining meat and????, the bones will be used to make the base of a soup. French onion is always a good cheap and tasty option.

Also download the recipe books from the site, do you have any friends interested in food who could join you on a low carb journey.

I hope you find life easier, good food might take a bit of effort but the results are worth it and as a student you will be very popular.

Good Luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

big_daddy

carraway said:
Hi Big daday

Have an omelette

Cara

Hi cara, are breakfast juices good to have for breakfast as I've been told to limit my consumption of eggs by my doctor and I do not know any other low-carb alternatives to breakfasts.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
big_daddy said:
are breakfast juices good to have for breakfast as I've been told to limit my consumption of eggs by my doctor and I do not know any other low-carb alternatives to breakfasts.

No, they're usually massive instant sugar.

Try ryvita, a couple of slices, with low fat cheese, and maybe a bit of ham.
Or with cottage cheese.
Or a Muller light yoghurt, with a small amount of fruit.