Type 2 Quick question

belfastbrett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I have just started Victoza, I also take Gliclazide and glucophage, woke up his morning my bg was 3.7, at the moment it has dropped from 7.8 to 4.7 in an hour, I have t2 and am alittle worried about this drop... Anyone any suggestions or comments... Worried about hypo at what point should I start to panic and take some sugar on board? Please help a worried old sod...

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you familiar with how Gliclazide works? It basically causes your pancreas to work harder to produce more insulin. It helps to understand how the drug works so you don't worry unnecessarily.

While the chances of hypos are realistic on gliclazide and other sulfonyulreas, many of the hypos people report are in the 3-4mmol/l range.

As far as when you should "Panic." In a perfect work, never. However, I'd consider anything below about a 3 mmol/l to be something to be legitimately concerned about....that's my own definition though.

It sounds to me like the Gliclazide is working great, but then again, I'm not a medical professional.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did your doctor or dsn advise you on how glicizide works?
It works to produce more insulin, which lowers your blood glucose levels.
However, if you start getting into normal levels (between. 3.8 and 7.0 mmols)
You will need to talk to your doctor. Because if you continue to keep lowering your blood glucose levels, then you will probably start developing hypo symptoms. And that is when you need to up your glucose levels, by taking action.
Have you been advised how to do that?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@belfastbrett I don't take any of those drugs, but I would consider a hypo as anything under 3.5mmol. However, if I was about to drive I would follow the rules and be at least '5 to drive'.

I suggest you just check in with your diabetes nurse, give them the readings you've been getting and get some advice and, hopefully, reassurance :)

belfastbrett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Many thanks all, I already feel reassured, I will check with my DN on Monday but again thanks for your comments, I know I am panicking unnecessarily, unlike me, but have never had BG as low... Thanks again the advice and comments on this forum are a god send...

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I've been down to 3.8 and am only on Metformin, with no lasting effects, so 3.7 doesn't seem that bad.