Raised hbA1c due to gallstones?

phantos02

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - I was diagnosed Type 2 a couple of years back after some horrid gallbladder attacks which resulted in removal of my gallbladder. My hbA1c at the time of diagnosis was 51. A few months later it was down to about 46. I went on to have a third baby and during my antenatal care had hba1c tested very regularly and got it down to 31 at one point! That was almost two years ago now.

My GP has just asked me to go for another blood test as part of my diabetic review. I am hoping it will come back low. I occasionally test blood sugar at home and it's never stupidly high.

My question is - can you get a sort of 'temporary' diabetes as a result of gallstones damaging or irritating the pancreas? I feel like I may have been misdiagnosed based upon one high reading. I do not fit the classic description of a diabetic; I am very slim and active and have never had any other symptoms like thirst or frequent urination etc.

Forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask; I figured you guys would be the pancreas experts ;-)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are a diabetic but eat low carb then you would not get symptoms unless you were unlucky and so you could go on very happily as seeming normal, like me.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do wonder sometimes if my type 2 is a result of gallbladder disease. I had my gall bladder removed in 2000. Several years later much to my dismay symptoms recurred. I had a stone stuck in my bile duct (not sure if it was a retained stone or a new one) and it took two endoscopies to remove it.
Not sure about ‘temporary’ Diabetes but if you’re still eating a diabetic friendly diet you may just have good control. All the best with your review x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi - I was diagnosed Type 2 a couple of years back after some horrid gallbladder attacks which resulted in removal of my gallbladder. My hbA1c at the time of diagnosis was 51. A few months later it was down to about 46. I went on to have a third baby and during my antenatal care had hba1c tested very regularly and got it down to 31 at one point! That was almost two years ago now.

My GP has just asked me to go for another blood test as part of my diabetic review. I am hoping it will come back low. I occasionally test blood sugar at home and it's never stupidly high.

My question is - can you get a sort of 'temporary' diabetes as a result of gallstones damaging or irritating the pancreas? I feel like I may have been misdiagnosed based upon one high reading. I do not fit the classic description of a diabetic; I am very slim and active and have never had any other symptoms like thirst or frequent urination etc.

Forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask; I figured you guys would be the pancreas experts ;-)
Irrespective of gall bladder there is evidence now which states gestational diabetes can lead to type2. So if their is 'temporary' diabetes it is still diabetes, whatever the cause.
I'd guess that the poor diet which causes gall bladder problems can also cause type2, in some.
I had diabetes symptoms for 40+yrs and my gall bladder was checked with my fatty liver and gall bladder is healthy.
Gall bladder stones are diet related. As of some fatty liver.

Starburst02

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin

I was told by my physicians that once you have been diagnosed diabetic, you will always be diabetic. You are either "in control" or not. I was able to maintain A1C results in the non diabetic normal range for years after the initial diagnosis through diet and exercise. Even with normal numbers for several years, medical follow up was the same - blood panels, urinalysis and A1C every six months. (I am in the USA - maybe things are different in the UK?)