Rancid pig fat

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are called meat pies.

Yo, meat mechanically reclaimed off the bone.
Been there, the smell is like a door to hell, but without the chance of getting back!
Then they put the little gooey bone stuff on top, to make it glisten.

Tastes good though.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They are called meat pies.

I craved those when I was pregnant with my eldest. Cold, soft, half filled with brown meat and gravy with a bit of fat on the top and actually probably better then than now.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Seems I love bits of rancid pig in a small plastic bag.

D

Deleted member 308541

Yo, meat mechanically reclaimed off the bone
When I first came to Australia, I went into a pie shop that sold chicken pies, it was 50 x 50 chicken and tripe, it would not have been noticeable if they had not used honeycomb tripe.
Cold, soft, half filled with brown meat and gravy with a bit of fat on the top
Do you know Larry Layback who worked at Mary K?, it had "Layback loves cold pies" painted on a rock wall near the mine entrance.
It was gorgeous!
https://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/offal-soup/

Will be making it regularly. :D
How offal (upper class awful).

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
D

Deleted member 308541

'Dirty meat': Shocking hygiene failings discovered in US pig and chicken plants
Previously unseen government records detail ‘deeply worrying’ incidents in pork and poultry plants, raising fears of ‘dirty meat’ entering the UK under a post-Brexit trade deal ....... https://www.theguardian.com/animals...lings-discovered-in-us-pig-and-chicken-plants
See it here where I posted it eerlier this morning.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/rancid-pig-fat.136265/page-2#post-1704885

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like there may have been a typo by someone - should be one and a half pints of milk and half pint of lime water! :bookworm:.
Thank goodness for that! Not that it makes the 'cure' any more palatable.....

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first came to Australia, I went into a pie shop that sold chicken pies, it was 50 x 50 chicken and tripe, it would not have been noticeable if they had not used honeycomb tripe.

Do you know Larry Layback who worked at Mary K?, it had "Layback loves cold pies" painted on a rock wall near the mine entrance.

How offal (upper class awful).
Honeycomb tripe. Truly offal stuff. I'm sure it must be low-carb but, as a nod to our Australian members, absolutely chunder-inducing. My Lancashire grandmother inflicted the ghastliness on me, along with some onions. Like eating chewy wet flabby half-melted plastic flannel. Even decades after I shudder at the experience.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Homemade crackling... oh goodness... delicious.
You made me want to eat this, so please tell me how you make them. I've rung my local butcher, and when I call back on a monday he'll save some pork rind for me to be picked up on tuesday. No-one buys it in the Netherlands, as pork scratchings aren't really a thing around here)
And I'm going to the butcher to ask if he has the offal for the soup or if I have to ring him on a monday for it. Bookmarked the recipe as it sounds delicious! Too bad not wany of my friends will want to try this soup. Does it keep well in the freezer?

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You made me want to eat this, so please tell me how you make them. I've rung my local butcher, and when I call back on a monday he'll save some pork rind for me to be picked up on tuesday. No-one buys it in the Netherlands, as pork scratchings aren't really a thing around here)
And I'm going to the butcher to ask if he has the offal for the soup or if I have to ring him on a monday for it. Bookmarked the recipe as it sounds delicious! Too bad not wany of my friends will want to try this soup. Does it keep well in the freezer?

With pleasure!

This is an article that is an interesting read, but makes it out to be more complicated than I like!
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/apr/15/how-to-make-perfect-crackling

whereas this is the simple version that I use
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/crispy-pork-crackling/36722338-3c8a-48af-b6a4-b15e8a10cacc

You can use belly pork or pork shoulder, or buy the rind direct from your butcher, as you are doing. :)

and then if you want to add any spices, just go for it.
I have some BBQ and jerk spices in my spice rack (powder) which I scatter onto the pork.
But I also have a lovely smoked chipotle paste that works well.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/273912655

If you are spicing it then you may need to watch that the spices don't burn. So maybe paint them onto the pork rind half way through the cooking rather than at the beginning.

Ah, just remembered! The last time I did crackling, it was by another method, which also worked well.
I had slow cooked a shoulder of pork joint to shred for pulled pork, and left the skin on the joint in the slow cooker.
Once it was done I just peeled the skin and fat off the meat (much easier after cooking rather than having to cut it off before cooking) and shredded the meat.
The skin had absorbed the pulled pork spices while cooking and was light brown in colour.
I just laid it flat on a rack in the oven and cooked it using the simple version above. Lovely. The spice flavours had completely spread through the whole thing, and made the perfect combination with the pulled meat. Will do that again. :)

Re the soup. Yes, it would freeze very well I think. But we ended up eating it all before it got to the freezer! lol

Reactions: Sue192

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With pleasure!

This is an article that is an interesting read, but makes it out to be more complicated than I like!
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/apr/15/how-to-make-perfect-crackling

whereas this is the simple version that I use
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/crispy-pork-crackling/36722338-3c8a-48af-b6a4-b15e8a10cacc

You can use belly pork or pork shoulder, or buy the rind direct from your butcher, as you are doing. :)

and then if you want to add any spices, just go for it.
I have some BBQ and jerk spices in my spice rack (powder) which I scatter onto the pork.
But I also have a lovely smoked chipotle paste that works well.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/273912655

If you are spicing it then you may need to watch that the spices don't burn. So maybe paint them onto the pork rind half way through the cooking rather than at the beginning.

Ah, just remembered! The last time I did crackling, it was by another method, which also worked well.
I had slow cooked a shoulder of pork joint to shred for pulled pork, and left the skin on the joint in the slow cooker.
Once it was done I just peeled the skin and fat off the meat (much easier after cooking rather than having to cut it off before cooking) and shredded the meat.
The skin had absorbed the pulled pork spices while cooking and was light brown in colour.
I just laid it flat on a rack in the oven and cooked it using the simple version above. Lovely. The spice flavours had completely spread through the whole thing, and made the perfect combination with the pulled meat. Will do that again. :)

Re the soup. Yes, it would freeze very well I think. But we ended up eating it all before it got to the freezer! lol
Thanks a lot, can't wait for next week!

D

Deleted member 308541

Like eating chewy wet flabby half-melted plastic flannel. Even decades after I shudder at the experience.
I hated it as a kid when I forced to eat it because of the food rationing in the UK, when I go som age and sense into me I refused and copped many a flogging for not eating it from both parents.

I am glad I moved out when I was eighteen.

Nearly all the butchers shops I have managed here in Australia, I never had tripe in stock. The only time I sold it was in wholesale side of the business where I used to sell it to a pet food supplier. He mixed it in to the kangaroo meat when it went through the grinder.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’m old enough to remember when crisps came in paper bags with a little blue packet of salt.

You could guarantee they were old and soggy unless they were straight out of the box.

The reason manufactures use the current silver plastic packets for crisps, popcorn and pork scratchings is the bags don’t have air in them but a dry nitrogen gas to protect the food from spoiling.

The problem with these bags is that they are too good! As they never fall to bits after use like the old paper ones.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've scored, cut and salted the piece of pig skin I finally managed to order from my butcher. Took almost 3 weeks, but it was free, so I won't complain :) Oven is pre-heating as I write, so within an hour I should be able to tell you if I like pork scratchings!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Worked out perfect! Too bad I don't much care for them, but my visiting friend absolutely loved them, so we'll make more for my birthday tomorrow!