Random high blood sugars

Fally85

Hi,
I know I'm not the only one that finds having type 1 diabetes hard. I often feel alone when it comes to my illness as I don't think people especially sometimes those around me how hard it is to stay in control.

Anyway my sugars over the past two days have just spiked! I've hardly ate anything today and they are now on 19. I don't feel unwell and my ketones were o.1. Any advice?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums. Sorry you're having issues. (Yes, mine spike sometimes for no apparent reason).

Here are some possibilities
1) Check that your insulin pen(s) is working properly and consider changing your insulins in case they've gone off. (Assuming you're on injections, I don't know much about pumps).
2) It's possible you are coming down with an illness in which case levels may spike and you need to follow diabetic sick day rules.
3) I assume you have tried applying correction doses and you know how to calculate them?

If you can't contact your clinic for advice them the T1 NHS helpline may be useful in daylight hours. (Assuming you are in UK?)

You can access NHS Diabetes Advice via Diabetes UK’s support line on 0345 123 2399 Monday-Friday from 09:00-18:00.

There's always 111 if you really can't get them down or if your ketones start to go up

Good luck. T1 is a hard continuous slog, sometimes it just doesn't go right. You just have to persevere. Lots of virtual hugs.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I know I'm not the only one that finds having type 1 diabetes hard. I often feel alone when it comes to my illness as I don't think people especially sometimes those around me how hard it is to stay in control.

Anyway my sugars over the past two days have just spiked! I've hardly ate anything today and they are now on 19. I don't feel unwell and my ketones were o.1. Any advice?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd go with everything @EllieM says above. & just add, what basal insulin are you using, have you tried changing the cartridge?