Rapid Weight Loss...avoiding Loose Skin..gulp

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess I must be one of the lucky ones. I lost 4 and a half stones (33% of my body weight) in about 10 months. (4 years ago now, and maintained ever since). I am 70 years old and don't do any exercise apart from walking the dog and housework/gardening things. I have no saggy skin round the trunk, bum or legs. Just small bat wings on my arms and a bit of a turkey neck. However, I had these before my weight loss! :cool::arghh:

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all your replies

In the meantime I have been doing more research on the net.

I thought it would be somewhat useful to share?

From what I’ve learnt, all in, the majority of views seem to point towards - large weight loss, in excess of 70 lb>, can be achieved (depending of genetics though) without leaving loose, thin, stretchy skin, by losing the weight slowish, around 2 1/2 pounds max a week. This being, as the skin is elastic, it has time to readjust.

My personal view, as someone who has gained and lost around 50 lb in the past (pregnancy) is that exercise did help as it seemed to help the skin to recover its shape. Over this figure is new territory for me as before my pre pregnancy weight was 60kg.

Hope this helps :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I’ve learnt, all in, the majority of views seem to point towards - large weight loss, in excess of 70 lb>, can be achieved (depending of genetics though) without leaving loose, thin, stretchy skin, by losing the weight slowish, around 2 1/2 pounds max a week. This being, as the skin is elastic, it has time to readjust.

Maybe this is why I have very little loose skin. I did it slowly, average 2lbs a week. This is the recommended way of losing weight, or was years ago when I went to Weight Watchers.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe this is why I have very little loose skin. I did it slowly, average 2lbs a week. This is the recommended way of losing weight, or was years ago when I went to Weight Watchers.
Yes I recall weight watchers recommding 2 lb a week weight loss - makes sense now! 1 kg = 2.2 lbs

Reactions: Bluetit1802

humaira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Firstly congratulations on your amazing result. I'm sure your next HbA1c will be even better than your last.
Are you still intermittent fasting? I have heard that this helps with skin tightening a bit so you may be all right. I have a few "saggy" bits but not as much as I expected after losing 8 stones. Maybe try a few extended fasts to see if that helps at all? Anecdotally I have read that the results can be visible quite quickly.
Edit to add I think it is Dr Fung who says he has never had to refer a fasting client for skin reduction surgery ever.
Sorry to jump on this post - very interested in the intermittent fasting..how do you do it?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to jump on this post - very interested in the intermittent fasting..how do you do it?
I skip breakfast so only eat solids between about 1 pm and 8 pm then nothing until the following day at 1 pm.
I do have tea and coffee (tea with lactofree milk and coffee with double cream) in the morning but no food.

Reactions: humaira