Ratio advice

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still a touch high by dinner despite a 30 minute walk. Will give things a few days to see if that will be a trend!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

iHs

Still a touch high by dinner despite a 30 minute walk. Will give things a few days to see if that will be a trend!

7.1 mmol at 4pm is fairly ok. Have you risen since then? Bit confused yr ratio 0.5 to 0.5 is this half unit to half a gram of carb?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No sorry that's a DAFNE thing. 0.5 unit per half a "CP" where 1CP = 10g carb

I'd risen to 9.1 by dinner, but usually when I walk in the evening I'm lower by dinner. Could be a 1 off though, can't tell much by 1 day I guess

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
0.5:5 if you're speaking in grams, my DSN speaks in CPs so that's what I do too lol

iHs

Try tonight to leave doing the basal until about 10.30 or 11pm so that a bit more of a gap is left between bolus and basal. 2hrs is not really much of a gap.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't do that, I get up at 5.30am for work so I go to bed at 10pm latest during the week.

Why does the gap matter? My DSN and DAFNE weren't concerned about there being no gap provided they were injected in different sites?

iHs

Has there been much of a difference today in your bg levels doing the basal 2hrs later? If there hasnt been much, try doing it later or if not poss because of work, then try to eat dinner a tiny bit earlier.

The basal insulin will lower bg levels on its own as will the bolus. Read about hypoglycaemia on the Levemir info leaflet...

Not sure whether altering the basal jab until bedtime will have a different effect on yr bgs compared to how things were when you did the basal at the same time as the bolus.

If it doesnt, then you will just have to remember to always eat a snack at a certain time of the day and not worry quite so much about achieving NICE target bg levels and basal testing

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Moving it later meant I was not high at 4pm, but instead I was a touch high at dinner time. So it could be a case if splitting the levemir to twice a day.

I'll give it a week and keep an eye. Hypos are a fairly rare occurrence for me so obviously I'm keen to keep it that way! Ill keep trying the 10pm basal and look for a pattern

iHs

Might be what you need to do is only eat a very small snack (1 jellybaby maybe) and see how that affects the rise in bg. The jellybaby will have a short affect on bg so shouldnt cause you to rise too much

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I might try that

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If your fasting bg levels don't improve ask for a switch over to lantus, I've been on lantus for over 10 years now and just inject it once a day and it gives a good 24 hour coverage.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Something, somewhere, has gone horrifically wrong this weekend.

I've been in the teens since Saturday lunch time. This is SO unlike me. I've changed cartridges etc but I just seem to be all out of sync somehow! I had 1 doughnut on Saturday, but they provide the carb content for them and at 23g that is no worse than a lot of other things....

I'm hoping that proper routine today and tomorrow since I'm back at work will help. If not, I'm going to hound my DSN until I get some advice!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm trying to do that now. Moved to a 0.5 unit per 5g lunch which is helping with the post lunch high. I know I need to change my dinner bolus, but I think what's happening is I'm running out of basal so by increasing my evening basal I'm purely masking that, so maybe I should be splitting the basal instead. I need a quiet evening to basal test from 4pm onwards to see what's happening there I think

Gah so many variables!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.3 before lunch. 25g so took 2.5 units.

11.9 at 4 hours.

Someone, somewhere, is having a laugh at my expense.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think my lunch ratio could be wrong but I'm not sure!

Monday 7.1 before 10.6 after..... But 5.5 by dinner

Tuesday 5.7 before 7.9 after.... 9.7 dinner (10g sometimes in between)

Today 6.8 before and 12.6 afterwards

I'm on a 0.5u per 6g currently. Should I change that to a 1:1 do you think? Afternoon highs are giving me a headache! But I'm worried that I often drop by dinner time even though I don't take a correction

The only reason I check after lunch (approx 4 hours) is before I drive

Hi, I personally wouldn't bother with a 2 hour test unless you feel unwell or it's for dvla driving reasons. You sound like you have done dafne so if your 4 hour test Is high and if your before meal bs was ok then increase the quick acting by 10 per cent at your next lunch. Remember that on work days you may need less insulin for meals than on days off. More active could mean less insulin. For me I need to eat approx 5 hours after a meal and I use different ratios for meals depending on what I am doing. I use dafne knowledge to work for me. So far I get it right most times. Remember your meal time ratios will only work once your basal insulin is ok.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so insulin sensitive that I have to be careful with changes. 0.5 unit drops me 3-4 units (usually) and so the slightest change can send me hypo.

According to DAFNE at my hospital I would only test at the next meAl, not at the 4 hour point

iHs

5.3 before lunch. 25g so took 2.5 units.

11.9 at 4 hours.

Someone, somewhere, is having a laugh at my expense.

How about you using the carb ratios of 1:10 and then adjust them. At the moment you are using 1:10 and you have found that your bg levels are higher at the 4hr mark. Dont know just how much yr bg will drop by the time you eat dinner. They may drop to something like 7 or 6mmol which is ok. If you want to be a bit lower than 11.9mmol at 4hrs, then you could try a ratio of 1:9 or 1:8 so using the last ratio of 1:8. 25g divided by 8 equals 3.1u so you could use 3u and just see what happens tomorrow. It will be only by testing 3hrs, 4hrs, 5hrs 6hrs that you will be able to see if you need to eat a tiny bit of carb but you might be ok just eating some jellybabies instead of carb.

No ones having a laugh at yr expense. Youve just got to learn a bit from adjusting the ratios to suit how your body needs insulin.