Ratio advice

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used the 1:10 today, I will keep with that for tomorrow to just make sure that is the pattern before changing it to 1:9g

But if it is an issue with basal isn't increasing the bolus just masking this?

My pancreas does still kick in too, just for funsies

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

iHs

I used the 1:10 today, I will keep with that for tomorrow to just make sure that is the pattern before changing it to 1:9g

But if it is an issue with basal isn't increasing the bolus just masking this?

My pancreas does still kick in too, just for funsies

Well,,...... the only way you will get to find out whether you may need to do another basal jab in the morning is by doing one and then test its effects out throughout the day. You could have a go at using the same amount of basal that you use in the evening and then inject the same amount about 12hrs later (mid morning). You will of course, need to adjust the carb ratios maybe on the first day but definately by the time the second day has come. Again, its testing, testing to get the balance between basal and bolus ok.

Insulins overall effect on blood sugar levels is to keep them stable. Although the bolus might be masking the need for more background basal, the body doesnt know the difference between bolus basal.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bed at 6.8 with 1 hour of insulin to go. Woke up at 14.4.

Again.

Who can say "overnight basal test" the loudest?!?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do you work 9-5 or shift work Hale? Just know from when I get up at 5am for 4 weeks or 8am for 4 weeks that my insulin needs are totally different?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work from 7-4, alarm goes off at 5.45 :(
Monday to Friday

My weekend ratios are a bit different because I'm more active

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so insulin sensitive that I have to be careful with changes. 0.5 unit drops me 3-4 units (usually) and so the slightest change can send me hypo.

According to DAFNE at my hospital I would only test at the next meAl, not at the 4 hour point

Hi Hale, Every course we go on even though it's ment to be DAFNE we're given DIFFERENT INFO. I went to ADDENBROOKES in Cambridge for my DAFNE but I carb counted about 1 1/2 years when I first used novorapid...under my ex diabetes team. I use units per grams of carbs instead of units per CPs. The grams per carbs allow me to fine tune my Ratios. On My days off I use 1:5 at b/f, 1;5 for lunch, and I've now decided to use 1:4 for tea. Because of how my system works I seem to need to eat/snack 4 times a day.and having done DAFNE I've realised that I need to be around 6-7 mmols 4 -5 hours my tea meal.to allow my insulatard to work for me.

My DAFNE ladies taking my course explained why they were suggesting things and I've used MOST OF What they said and my previous 4 years experience to make things work for me. My HBA1c has improved from 8.9% to 7.6% after 3 months. I don't always get it right but generally I look at my records and work out where I might have miscalculated the carbs etc. My work day lunch ratio is approx 1;9grams carbs but if I having a really heavy day I don't inject for lunch. I used to do 2 hour testing pre DAFNE and used to correct if I was over 2 mmol higher than pre meal readings then wondered WHY I used to go hypo later after a meal. I'll only correct after 4-5 hours of a meal if need to. If my BSs are high after a meal I'll get a pattern over say 2 days then I'd change the ratio. If I do a DVLA test maybe 2 hours after a meal..I drive for a living..and I'm high I don't worry as usually it's ok after 4 hours..that's how my system works.

Remember most quick acting insulin work over 4-5 hours. My novorapid seem to work over 4 hours FOR ME so test after a 4 hour period of a meal. I tend to eat 4-5 hours periods otherwise I'll hypo. A lot of people may eat 5-6 hours apart so if I only tested before meals I'd be stuffed in hypos. We're all different so Hale, use what works for you. Use the DAFNE bits that work for you. I fell out with my course nurses when they insisted that I reduce my ratios. I'd been in the 20 mmols before the course using a high ratio and on the sick from work due to fatigue/high BSs, so I used the lower ratios and my next b/f reading were sky high. I flipped next day on the course. At that time I was using 1:3 b/f ratio and some days it was 1:2 ratios and lunch and tea varied between 1:3 and 1:4. Anyway when I left the course I was in single fingers mmols. I did apologise to everyone for my outburst!!! Hope you get things sorted.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks nigelho. I agree that their CP system is flawed. I use 0.5u:7g a lot of the time. They wanted me to change that to 1u:1.5CP but one go at that proved my point and they were happy to leave my alone with my accurate carb counting. They put it down to me being an engineer and fussy about numbers lol

My meals are often ages apart, but I tend to drive inbetween so I get to double check. My Novorapid appears to last 5 hours often.

I suspect I'm coming out of my rather pleasant 11 month honeymoon so in back to square 1 with ratios and basal. Long slog ahead but it will get there!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basal tested last night, obviously diabetes behaved because I only moved about a small amount.

Breakfast 8.9 ate the same thing I have multiple times a week and dosed as usual

Lunch, 4 hours later, 11.9 *insert expletives*

I am so over this shambles! I think I'm going to move my basal back to 6pm and start from scratch!

iHs

Hi

I did say in my msgs that u would most likely need to alter yr carb ratios didnt I?

By all means start again, but u will still need to alter the ratios, or eat some carb to deal with any serious drop, or contemplate using levemir twice per day and a bit less bolus

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ate the same breakfast as yesterday and used the same breakfast ratio. Yesterday it dropped me below where I expected, today it sent me high.

I'm in the honeymoon, it's impossible to find patterns properly.

If I go back to my original basal time I can re-do my basal tests and sort the ratios from there. I prefer the 6pm time and I've looked into it a bit more and many people do their basal and bolus around the same time with no problems.

If I find the basal not lasting ill then speak to my DSN about changing to split levemir. I suspect I will need to but I'll gather the evidence first

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm in the honeymoon, it's impossible to find patterns properly.

That about sums it up hale, your having an awful time with these swings from high to low and I do hope things settle down for you soon.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That about sums it up hale, your having an awful time with these swings from high to low and I do hope things settle down for you soon.

I'm sure it will. Waking at all hours to test isn't helping!

Go back to where I know and test test test. Make changes slowly 1 at a time :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chased that pre lunch high with a post lunch mild hypo, just from 1u correction

You can find me in the dark banging my head against the wall!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Changed basal time to 6pm again yesterday, perfect BG ever since.

Probably a coincidence, but oh it's so pleasant!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Changed basal time to 6pm again yesterday, perfect BG ever since.

Probably a coincidence, but oh it's so pleasant!

Coincidence or not I hope it continues :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've used the 1:10g at lunch time today again though because I still think I need the extra insulin so will see how it pans out!

nicolan6534

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hale710 I feel your pain! After 20 years of T1 I seem to have become really sensitive to insulin. Fasting, Carb Free meals & 3am tests are driving me nuts!