Re: Peripheral neuropathy

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum.That is a question you really need to take to your doctor!Get tests done to put your mind to rest as to the diagnosis.When you say that your diabetes has been under good control ,what sort of readings,Hba1c etc have you been having over the years?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Is 7.8 your Hba1c ? If it is then there is a fair chance that you may have peripheral neuropathy of some sort as that reading is quite high.Do you do daily tests with a test monitor and test strips?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Just checked comparison chart:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How does your glucose level compare with your HbA1c
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HbA1c levels by coincidence nearly equate to glucose levels. So an HbA1c level of 10% means the average glucose level for the previous 10 weeks was 13mmol/l.

But at lower levels there is even less difference, so an HbA1c of 7% means the average glucose level was 8mmols/l.
HbA1c% Average blood glucose level mmol/l
13 18
12 17
11 15
10 13
9 12
8 10
7 8
6 7
5 5

So an Hba1c of 7.8% is giving you a rough level of over 8mmol/L daily.Most diabetics like to keep their daily readings down under 7mmol/L.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
See the adjacent thread for my experience.

ChocFish

Hi, neuropathy can also be caused by long term use of aspirin and also vitamin/mineral deficiency, some emdication and diabetes can cause this;
In any case even if you have MS, and I hope and pray that you dont have it, who says that your sons would get MS too? My cousin has MS and is doing very well, she was wheelchair bound, and is now after making major dietary changes is walking again.

What kind of symptoms do you have, sometimes stress and anxiety can give you numbness or pins and needles too, I am only asking because I am a bit worried about your statement
"My wife dotes on her sons and will assume I have passed it to them she will never recover from such a diagnosis or forgive me and will probably divorce me and my sons will not thank me for putting such a threat hanging over them" - it somehow sounds as if all is not well in your home life, is your family supportive or are you left to cope with everything pretty much on your own?

Please see your doctor, you might be worrying over something that can be treated and is not MS at all, and n any case you wouldnt have to tell your wife?

i hope all goes well for you

Karen

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Have a read of the many threads on diet on the forum.Let's see if we can't get your sugar levels down by changing your diet a bit.If your sugar levels go done perhaps your symptoms will diminish also and put your mind to rest over whether you have MS.It's worth a try anyway.

ChocFish

Please get yourself checked out, all this uncertainty is causing you stress and its not good for you, not mentally or physically. It can affect your bg too, and you might very well be worrying over nothing.

Even if you do have MS there is no 100% chance of your son developing it too, and look at it this way IF you have MS then it took 56yrs to get hold of you, how old is your son? Let him live a cae happy life,not worrying already if he may get MS now or when he is 56? None of us know if or when or whatever, dont worry ahead, things may never happen and also might turn out completely different anyway. just make sure that you and yours are as healthy as possible, exercise, relax, eat healthy food, cut out transfats, etc, do what you can there - the rest is in the hands of God or fate or whatever.....

Re your home life, sorry you said that I am spot on, try and communicate with your wife, maybe see a counsellor together or alone, its not so good when you have to worry about divorce because you are ill or anything. Each to their own, I am no expert, but I think the basics of being with someone/family life should be a close, supportive, loving environment, you dont choose being ill do you, what if your wife was ill? I hope not, but it cannot be right if you have to live in fear of divorce if something goes wrong with your health.

I am pleased you are in this forum, please dont bottle up your worries and fears, talk about things in here at least.

Karen

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
In my experience, the first thing to do is get the blood sugar levels down by halving your carbohydrate portions, & no biscuits or cereal bars. At the end of March I was seriously wondering if my active life was over. I can't say I'm cured, but I am very active again. And I've lost 7 lb. I snack on nuts.

Hope you can sort out your family relationships. Develop common interests.