Reactive hypoglycemia .. !?

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
While I was searching in google I found this article ..

My ENGLISH is not likes everyone here

So I need your options on this .. specially LamontD

The man how wrote it is (diet professional) for
bodybuilding

Reactive hypoglycemia is actually the earliest stage of Type II diabetes. Reactive hypoglycemia usually doesn't require treatment.

By removing carbohydrates from the daily diet and making the change permanent, an individual relieves the burdensome metabolic stress on the body, specifically the pancreas.

This process can take days, weeks, or even months, depending on the fat blanket and the amount of insulin stored, but if the individual is diligent, the fat will come off and the blood sugar will normalize. When the blood sugar normalizes, energy is restored, and body temperature is back to normal. It is important to note that even a small sugar/starch carbohydrate feeding during the fast will shut down the process for approximately 24 hours and cause the carbohydrates to be stored as fat once more. Only diligent attention to the diet will return the body to the fat-utilization stage.

Caution, once the body sugar metabolism is back to normal this does not mean that the individual can go back to a high-carbohydrate diet. It is important to note that the individual’s sugar metabolism is broken due to years of overworking the pancreas, and will most probably never be fixed. As long as you have stored insulin in your fat cells, you will continue to have hypoglycemia. The stored insulin spells "no room" in the blood to newly secreted insulin, which means new fat cells must be stimulated for more insulin and fat, and so on ad infinitum. Only by not stimulating any new insulin (such as when you eat carbs) can the individual begin to use up the fat/insulin stores. This return to "normal" in regarding to blood sugar levels is only because of the stringent die.

Reactive hypoglycemia will never go away. It is yours forever, probably as a result of a family history of defective sugar-metabolism genes. Careful attention to diet however can keep it under control and reduce the many health threatening risk factors associated with diabetes.

Do not fail to eat fat with this diet. Three tablespoons of butter or so a day (more won't hurt), whipping cream in your coffee, or coconut oil two or three times a day is the bare minimum. Without it, you might even get ill. You must have some form of saturated fat on any strict fast or high-protein diet.

My questions!?

Dose insulin stored in the fat!?
How RH will steak with it even if he devolved T2!?

Here the link for full article

http://www.musclemagfitness.com/dis...l-blown-diabetes-without-even-knowing-it.html

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have just read the article through once.
My reaction to it is that the first sections of the article are much better than a lot of internet information about RH, but I have a few reservations about some of the comments near the end and it needs a few references to back up some of the statements made.

But the last few paragraphs are not so good.
Statements about fat blankets, body temperature being affected by blood sugar and insulin being stored in fat cells, are not things that I have heard discussed before, and look to me as if the author was expanding a personal theory. Without references.

For all I know insulin may be stored in fat cells, but I have never heard of it. I do know that insulin is stored in the pancreas, ready for release. My understanding is that insulin circulates in the blood and attaches to receptors on the exterior of cells. I am not aware that insulin enters cells.

I wonder if @tim2000s has knowledge of this, off the top of his head? His understanding of insulin function is far greater than mine.

Had a quick Google and found this, which was interesting and made no mention of insulin being stored in fat cells.
http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/pancreas/insulin_phys.html
The other articles on the vivo colostate site, so I will probably go back and have a better look round later.

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi,

I have just read the article through once.
My reaction to it is that the first sections of the article are much better than a lot of internet information about RH, but I have a few reservations about some of the comments near the end and it needs a few references to back up some of the statements made.

But the last few paragraphs are not so good.
Statements about fat blankets, body temperature being affected by blood sugar and insulin being stored in fat cells, are not things that I have heard discussed before, and look to me as if the author was expanding a personal theory. Without references.

For all I know insulin may be stored in fat cells, but I have never heard of it. I do know that insulin is stored in the pancreas, ready for release. My understanding is that insulin circulates in the blood and attaches to receptors on the exterior of cells. I am not aware that insulin enters cells.

I wonder if @tim2000s has knowledge of this, off the top of his head? His understanding of insulin function is far greater than mine.

Had a quick Google and found this, which was interesting and made no mention of insulin being stored in fat cells.
http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/pancreas/insulin_phys.html
The other articles on the vivo colostate site, so I will probably go back and have a better look round later.

I think this man is guessing .. he also talked about genetic ;-/

If his theory true you are a good example

When you developed T2 .. did faced RH like before!?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still have RH, but it only happens when I have too many carbs. And since I eat very low carbs, I don't have RH.

Hope that made sense! :D

Seriously, though, I have had 3 hypos in the last year. I caused each one by eating too many carbs.
Once it was about 30 of pringles on an empty stomach (so about 15g of carbohydrate in about 30g of Pringles)
Once it was because I put mincemeat in a low carb mug cake, and the sugar in the mincemeat gave me the hypo
and I remember the 3rd hypo, but I can't remember what I ate to cause it! Although I think it was also connected to stress and exercise. :)

So yes, I can still give myself RH if I eat badly.
But if I eat sensibly, and stick to very low carb eating, then I am RH Free. Which is wonderful!

I think one of the hardest things for me to accept about my RH is that the dietary change needs to be for life. It isn't something that you can 'cure' and then go back to normal eating. It is something that you can control with diet, and will continue to control as long as you keep to the way of eating that stops the RH symptoms.

Last edited:

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I still have RH, but it only happens when I have too many carbs. And since I eat very low carbs, I don't have RH.

Hope that made sense! :D

Seriously, though, I have had 3 hypos in the last year. I caused each one by eating too many carbs.
Once it was about 30 of pringles on an empty stomach (so about 15g of carbohydrate in about 30g of Pringles)
Once it was because I put mincemeat in a low carb mug cake, and the sugar in the mincemeat gave me the hypo
and I remember the 3rd hypo, but I can't remember what I ate to cause it! Although I think it was also connected to stress and exercise. :)

So yes, I can still give myself RH if I eat badly.
But if I eat sensibly, and stick to very low carb eating, then I am RH Free. Which is wonderful!

I think one of the hardest things for me to accept about my RH is that the dietary change needs to be for life. It isn't something that you can 'cure' and then go back to normal eating. It is something that you can control with diet, and will continue to control as long as you keep to the way of eating that stops the RH symptoms.

So maybe he is right .. if you losses fat the more insulin will be free from your body!?

Also, isn't diabetes all about insulin resistance!?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So maybe he is right .. if you losses fat the more insulin will be free from your body!?

Also, isn't diabetes all about insulin resistance!?

I am afraid it is a lot more complicated than that. Insulin resistance can be caused by many different things. Obesity is one. Hormones are another. But there are other things too, including genetic pre-disposition, certain drugs, certain chemical pollutants, lack of exercise, etc. etc.

It is easy to say that type 2 diabetics should lose weight (because they are often over weight). However, if the obesity is a symptom of the insulin resistance, then all losing weight will achieve is a slim person with insulin resistance. :)

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I am afraid it is a lot more complicated than that. Insulin resistance can be caused by many different things. Obesity is one. Hormones are another. But there are other things too, including genetic pre-disposition, certain drugs, certain chemical pollutants, lack of exercise, etc. etc.

It is easy to say that type 2 diabetics should lose weight (because they are often over weight). However, if the obesity is a symptom of the insulin resistance, then all losing weight will achieve is a slim person with insulin resistance. :)

Im sorry .. You mess undersold my .. I didn't mean the obesity the cause of diabetes ..

I meant that if someone how have diabetes and stored insulin in fat who come he have RH

Isn't he in stage of insulin resistance!?

Again Im sorry ..

Also obesity new word I have learned her .. lm searching in YouTube how to pronounce it .. that something you don't learn from movies

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am going to give my opinion about RH, as most of the information given elsewhere is different to what my experience has shown to me or I have a theory to what RH actually is. I'm not a scientist, I'm not clever enough but I have had this condition a few years, and if controlled, the symptoms go away, if not, you will be ill, and it could be very harmful!
There is no cure! It is dietary controlled! You can be really healthy if you get it right!

RH is the condition I have got! It is an actual condition! The symptoms are numerous and differentiate between patients. It is when your pancreas produces an overshoot of insulin in the secondary response during the digestion process. It causes initially a quick spike, (hyper) then as the secondary response comes into effect the insulin floods the glucose which will lead to a hypo!
This is caused by the amount of carbs and sugar that triggers the natural response from your pancreas, but it doesn't stop. If you don't eat carbs, the amount of insulin produced is minimal and doesn't hinder the glucose process.

That is what I believe in layman's terms!

My theory.

RH is a condition, which I have! It is not diabetic!
You cannot be diabetic with normal blood glucose levels in fasting and hba1c, unless you have had really high blood glucose levels for many years and your insulin is impaired in the initial response and secondary response.

RH can also be a symptom!

There are numerous accounts of different age groups and people with different conditions that have exactly the same symptoms but either don't have hypos or return to their previous levels without having the actual condition.
Of course different conditions such as insulinoma and pancreatitis have the same symptoms as RH, but are not RH!

Most of those that have the symptoms as RH, can return to eating carbs, as will type two patients if they get good control and good glucose levels.

But RH ers cannot!

Reactions: Ayed447_

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Im sorry .. You mess undersold my .. I didn't mean the obesity the cause of diabetes ..

I meant that if someone how have diabetes and stored insulin in fat who come he have RH

Isn't he in stage of insulin resistance!?

Again Im sorry ..

Also obesity new word I have learned her .. lm searching in YouTube how to pronounce it .. that something you don't learn from movies

Before diagnosis, I had weight gain, high blood glucose levels, high insulin levels and insulin resistance, that is why I was misdiagnosed as diabetic!
Years of high levels and becoming more and more obese because of the carbs, what was happening was making me very ill!

Too much of any hormones in the blood is not good!
Too much glucose can result in type two.
Too much insulin can lead to many complaints, which does lead to hyperinsulinaemia.
Which can lead to obesity, because excess insulin does contribute to the build up of visceral fat, then insulin resistance. Too much insulin does lead to many symptoms that has a direct effect on your brain, hence, the anxiety that you have mentioned.

It is good that you are learning and asking questions for our experiences.

Best wishes.

How are you doing?

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Before diagnosis, I had weight gain, high blood glucose levels, high insulin levels and insulin resistance, that is why I was misdiagnosed as diabetic!
Years of high levels and becoming more and more obese because of the carbs, what was happening was making me very ill!

Too much insulin can lead to many complaints, which does lead to hyperinsulinaemia.
Which can lead to obesity, because excess insulin does contribute to the build up of visceral fat, then insulin resistance. Too much insulin does lead to many symptoms that has a direct effect on your brain, hence, the anxiety that you have mentioned.

Best wishes.

How are you doing?

Really until now I don't now how to begin LCHF

Must of the food and recipes we don't have it here

I cut sugar
Eat small amounts of rice

Now I feel dizzy and my head will fall when I check my BG is normal I don't now why
Maybe I ear less now

Really Im confused and don't what to eat and avoid and who can I do fasting

The website that you give me I took some from it like
Eggs, barriers tomato small amounts of Vegetables

I drink allot of tea

And almond

Thats all

I want to learn but don't now who,

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
My motions not stapled .. I think I depressed now .. 1 hr I feel excellent and full of hope .. other hour I feel depressed and thinking what happen in the future I become diabetic or I fall down any time and die !?

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Can I travel .. do normal things .. can I have merge and kids ..

Before 2 years I have those symptoms .. was scares put when I workout and lost weight its gone what ever I eat nothing happen now it returns I don't now what to do

I cut rice for one week ago my wight went done 3K in one week but I eat small amounts because I don't want my parents to worry and thinking about me

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Really until now I don't now how to begin LCHF

Must of the food and recipes we don't have it here

I cut sugar
Eat small amounts of rice

Now I feel dizzy and my head will fall when I check my BG is normal I don't now why
Maybe I ear less now

Really Im confused and don't what to eat and avoid and who can I do fasting

The website that you give me I took some from it like
Eggs, barriers tomato small amounts of Vegetables

I drink allot of tea

And almond

Thats all

I want to learn but don't now who,

Can you eat meat?
Rice is usually bad for me, the starch in it is bad for glucose levels!
There is lots of vegetable substitute for carbs.
What you have mentioned is good, you are still in that period of adjustment, you must be patient and see it through.
Your amount of insulin has not dropped enough to continually feel good. So it's important you keep eating every three hours, little and often.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My motions not stapled .. I think I depressed now .. 1 hr I feel excellent and full of hope .. other hour I feel depressed and thinking what happen in the future I become diabetic or I fall down any time and die !?

That is your anxiety, playing with your mind, if you get good control you won't get diabetes!
In my experience, my liver will help if I go really low! The thing is, I don't go low now!
No hypos in three years. You can do it!
I did!
Remember, eat little and often, every three hours, no hypers, no hypos!
Get control, worry about everything else, tomorrow or day or week after. Be positive!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can I travel .. do normal things .. can I have merge and kids ..

Before 2 years I have those symptoms .. was scares put when I workout and lost weight its gone what ever I eat nothing happen now it returns I don't now what to do

I cut rice for one week ago my wight went done 3K in one week but I eat small amounts because I don't want my parents to worry and thinking about me

Yes, why not! I travel all the time.
I work, go places, watch sport, walk, have an active life! I think my wife would have something to say about wanting to get married again, 36 years married! I don't think at my age, I would want more kids, four grown up and seven grandchildren.
Of course you can!
There is no reason why not!
If you have control!
Please tell your parents, that rice is harmful to you, show them by eating it and showing them the glucometer results after an hour!
I have no doubt, that they will help you, it is their job to worry, take my word for it! As a parent you worry, that is normal! They will help, talk to them!

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes

Thanks for your reply

I'll keep searching and learning ..

I want to ask you about oat bread I found yesterday one in the market and it was

44G of carbs
4% fat

Is it good or what

Could you please teach me how to calculate Carbs with fat in food and how to balanced it in my day

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes

Best wishes.

How are you doing?

Now I'm waiting for my pro insulin test to see my results of insulin resistance and my risk of catching diabetes

I hope its good news

I really need it now

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ayed,

Some people recommend an online carb counting course called BERTIE but it is aimed at type 1 diabetics, so it may be more detailed than you need, and may go into detail on insulin. Since you don't need added insulin, that may not help you. I haven't done the course, so can't say from experience.

Carb counting at the level we RHers need, is actually very simple. :) and there is lots of information online to help you.
Here in the UK all the major supermarkets have the nutritional information of each food listed on their website.

So I just go to a supermarket website and search for the food I want to look up.
this is an example:
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=253554014
if you scroll down the page you will come to the 'nutritional information' which looks like this:

upload_2017-4-10_9-5-25.png

All you need to do is look at the Carbohydrate number.
In this case, it is 12.7g of carbohydrate in a typical orange.

You will also notice that Sugars and Fibre are listed.
Don't worry too much about the sugars. All carbohydrate converts to glucose when we digest it, so it is much simpler to just look at the Carbohydrate figure.

It is sometimes useful to look at the amount of Fibre in a food. Fibre often slows down digestion, making the glucose hit our bloodstream more slowly, which is a good thing for us RHers. :) So the more fibre you eat, the better it is for your blood glucose levels.

Another thing to watch for is portion size. The table above gives two sets of numbers, for 100g, and for a typical portion size. Sometimes we need to do a bit of mathematics to work out how many carbs there are in the portion we are eating.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You asked about the oat bread.

All I can really suggest is that you try it, and see.
Eat a normal sized portion of the bread and test your blood glucose to see how much it affects you, and whether you get RH afterwards.

I know that I find oats are bad for my blood glucose, but other people can tolerate them well, and I hope that you can!