Reading Insulin Pump Screen In The Sunshine

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the Animas Vibe and can't see a thing in the dunlight. Thought it was just me! Has anyone ever bothered to tell the pump companies about this issue?

I thought maybe it was because the Animas display was so dated now but looks like other pumps have it too.

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had the same problem with the two pumps I have been using over the past six years, Animas Vibe and now Omnipod.
I have complained several times to Ypsomed (Omnipod supplier in the UK) but have had no satisfactory responses.
I spend a considerable amount of time outdoors and find it extremely difficult to read the screen in bright conditions.
I am now about to change to the Cellnovo system and the good news is that this screen is visible in bright light, so I am voting with my feet and ditching Omnipod, also I believe Cellnovo costings are lower than Omnipod.
Had I not been about to change I was seriously considering putting a complaint to the MHRA, the UK body which regulates healthcare devices as I believe this is a very serious issue which could lead to serious harm to a patient if blood glucose results are incorrectly read or inappropriate boluses are administered due to the inability to see the screen in bright light.
surely it is more important to be able to read a medical device screen in sunshine rather than read a novel on a Kindle or similar device?

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It always gets me that pump,companies don't listen to pump,users. I know they need to make a profit but they often concentrate on features that should be secondary to the basics. I don't care about a coloured screen, I care about readability. My last pump didn't have a coloured screen. Consequently the display stayed on all the time (and the pump had a battery life of 9wks) and I could read it in the sun.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's a difficult one to overcome, I have difficulty reading my mobile phone on a sunny day and reading the Omnipod Pump is no different, even bg meters are hard to read when it's very bright outside.

Last week when eating outside I just went into a shaded area to test and bolus.

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Azure
It's time pump companies listened more to their users, without us they wouldn't be in business. If you are finding this as frustrating as I am then it might be worth considering asking your clinic if you can change to the Cellnovo, or at least ask to have a look at it. The first thing I did when given the powered up handset was to take it outside in the bright sunlight, that was the main selling point for me, the system does all the Omnipod does and more besides

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @WHM The Cellnovo looks interesting and having a usable screen is a great feature.
But I personally prefer tubed pumps so for that reason I'll have to stick with my Vibe. Apart from the screen issue, I do like my pump :)

I'be been pumping for 12 years and I wish I could have a magic wand and create my perfect pump. There's a lot of features I'd have, but also a lot I'd get rid of!