Reading Insulin Pump Screen In The Sunshine

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi does anyone else have a problem reading their insulin pump in the sunshine. It is ok if you are just in your garden as you can go inside to insert your carb and BG details but if you are on holiday or eating out with friends I find I can't see the screen if the sun is shining, anyone got any ideas on how you cope with this?

Reactions: 2 people

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
They are much like smartphones and suffer from the glare of the sun. Nothing much can be done i dont think as even using your hands to shield the screen you still get a bit of glare. Maybe wearing sunglasses? Never tried it but then i don't wear them.

Regards

Martin

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My old pump was fine even in the sun, but my current one isn't. It can be annoying. I try to turn my body to shade it or even put in under the bottom of my t shirt or something.

I only dial up my bolus so it's easier for me.

P.S - sunglasses don't work - at least not with my pump screen.

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've tried shielding it from the sun but still can't read it, still the same with sunglasses. I live in hope that someone comes up with a solution.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Shielding it with a book or magazine can help sometimes. I think it's the screen type (my old pump had a different screen). I wonder if the pump companies themselves have any suggestions?

iHs

The pump that Azure and I use is dire in outside day light even with the contrast setting up to max. I also turn my back to the sun and bend forwards to form a shade or keep pump in back of handbag in zipped compartment and try to use it from there. I think the pumps that have a white screen with black text are better for visability.

Reactions: 3 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi does anyone else have a problem reading their insulin pump in the sunshine. It is ok if you are just in your garden as you can go inside to insert your carb and BG details but if you are on holiday or eating out with friends I find I can't see the screen if the sun is shining, anyone got any ideas on how you cope with this?

Yes I find this. Am currently on hol & it's awful! Oh well

Reactions: 4 people

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am using the Animas Vibe you would think the makers would have thought of this, it's a nightmare trying to read the screen. I use a kindle for reading books and their screen is perfect for reading in the sunshine. Oh well looks like nothing helps

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're out for the day and struggling in the sun, you could always use an insulin pen to bolus. I've done that before when I've been in very bright sunshine. Obviously, you have to forego a more exact bolus (I have a half unit pen) but it relieves the frustration if you have no means of shading the screen.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
depending on location when on hols in the sun -- perhaps retreating indoors if at a restaurant or in the shade of a building
my screen is not helpful in the sun either........

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I have the same problem with the animas vibe, and have further compounded it by buying polarised prescription sunglasses ... I've learnt since buying them, that polarised lenses actually makes the screen even less visible from most angles!

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the same problem with the animas vibe, and have further compounded it by buying polarised prescription sunglasses ... I've learnt since buying them, that polarised lenses actually makes the screen even less visible from most angles!
Oh no I also have prescription sunglasses

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Omnipod and have problem with PDM also cannot view in sun found using towel over my head or finding shade or cafe etc to go into. I find it very frustrating when sunny every day / on blida you etc.

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know Heathero, it is so frustrating, its not easy when you are out and about and no cafe nearby but I guess I'll just need to make the most of it. I'm off to America for 3 weeks. Hopefully the makers will come up with something soon but I'll not hold my breath.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Should have said 'on holiday etc. Just returned from Spain for a month worst place on the beach!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the same issue, in bright sunshine the Insight Handset is unreadable (I was warned about this when it was supplied), so have to look for shade or make my own then its far better. Have also found its bit easier to read when bolusing direct from pump.

Edit - see update below, I was not told but for Insight Handset go to Setting, Meter Settings, Background Color - choose dark or light :), so the light option has dark text so it can be read in the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't use a pump but had similar trouble trying out a meter. Found taking a photo on my phone helped and zooming meant didn't need glasses to read. Imagine it's beyond frustrating though, can't imagine these things get trialled in the real world.

iHs

I have the same issue, in bright sunshine the Insight Handset is unreadable (I was warned about this when it was supplied), so have to look for shade or make my own then its far better. Have also found its bit easier to read when bolusing direct from pump.

Really ???
When I looked at the Insight being demonstrated at an event, the rep led me to believe that the handset display could be changed from LCD to white background with grey/black text. Is this not so?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really ???
When I looked at the Insight being demonstrated at an event, the rep led me to believe that the handset display could be changed from LCD to white background with grey/black text. Is this not so?

Your right iHs many thanks, I was not told about this, but agree it works very well indeed - just tried it today.

Setting, Meter Settings, Background Color - choose dark or light :)