Reading of 123 mmol/mol - Best ways to bring it down?

harrygarry95

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a 27 year old male who's just had my highest reading of 123 mmol/mol. I eat badly - mainly down to an eating disorder, I have liver disease and high cholesterol but I've lost over 2 stone since my first diagnosis which was 80 mmol/mol. I could really do with some encouragement... Have I left it so bad I need more medication?

I'm constantly told different ways to lose weight. My lowest reading once got to 60 mmol/mol - and that was down to gym, walking, lots of water and trying the 800 fast diet. Can I really get my readings down low again? The last week has been the wake up call I need, but I'm terrified I won't be able to get my blood down again!

Feeling very useless.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A HbA1c of 123 gives you an average glucose of 18.7mmol/L, this would be considered high.
You need to see your doctor or better still an Endocrinologist, stress that you need your insulin levels checked & antibody tests to rule out T1.
Good luck & do it immediately

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a meter to check,your own levels? If not seriously think about getting one. Test before and after a food to see how it affects you. It will rapidly show you which foods to enjoy and which to limit or eliminate. No bias, no pet theories, nothing to sell you. As a heads up it will be the carbs that you need be beware of. Reducing carbs also helps with non alco fatty liver disease and high cholesterol (but that’s another issue that needs more investigation once blood glucose is sorted as total levels are pretty much meaningless).

Almost all of us in here have found that if we gain control of our carbs, the blood glucose follows and then the weight. Not the other way around so much. We cannot process carbs so all our body can do is hold it in the blood as glucose and then shunt it off to storage as body fat. Once there it does add to the problem somewhat for sure but it’s primarily and initially a symptom not a cause.

You’ve tried the fast 800 and obviously it wasn’t a solution for you that lasted so what else have you tried? What works well for you and what’s hard to sustain?

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster