Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
Currently trying to come of meds,
Sugars seem to be slightly lower but when I wake it 6/7 but it's raising quickly soon as I eat I'm trying Low Carbs and am hungry all the time. My sugar seem to drop two points over two hours normally.
But even eating low carbs my sugars jump to 11/12 after a meal then I'm struggling to lower them.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you use myfitnesspal or similar to track your carb intake?

If you are still hungry on low carbs try adding some fat until your appetite is satiated.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am wondering what low carb looks like to you. What would be a normal days food for you?

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
Today:
4am woke for work
8am Protien & milk drink
9-30 Bannana
11-30 Fish salad and chick pea soups starters
Nuts and raisins maybe orange till 5-30
6pm home salad and cooked meat (turkey)
8-30 bed
During day;
Tea black with bit of hunny 4times
Coffee black 2 times with honey
Currently doing between 15/29,000 steps at work on Chen plant in Saudi.
Does this give you a guide

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How many carbs per day do you think that is?

There are some obvious foods there but I'm not going to comment on what is or isn't carbs/sugar in your day as whats low for you maybe completely different for some one else - but by the look of it there isn't much (good) fat which would help to keep you feeling fuller longer.

Could you put blood test results in the above time line?

You do a lot of walking!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today:
4am woke for work
8am Protien & milk drink
9-30 Bannana
11-30 Fish salad and chick pea soups starters
Nuts and raisins maybe orange till 5-30
6pm home salad and cooked meat (turkey)
8-30 bed
During day;
Tea black with bit of hunny 4times
Coffee black 2 times with honey
Currently doing between 15/29,000 steps at work on Chen plant in Saudi.
Does this give you a guide

Hi @Dadio,

Welcome and good job trying to reduce your carbs. Also great job on the walking. This is quite impressive.

As to your diet, the foods that jump out at me immediately are the bananas, raisins and honey. These contain quite a lot of carbs and I am quite sure I couldn't eat them without raising my blood sugars more than I like. Even milk (especially low-fat milk) and chick peas might be a problem.

It seems you are already testing your blood sugars before a meal and two hours after the first bite. This is the best way to find out which types of food your body can tolerate. If your blood sugar rises too much after a meal (7.8 two hours after your first bite), this indicates that at least some of what you ate doesn't work for you.

Last edited:

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need some good fats in your diet. That will stop you feeling hungry.

Ditto @ziggy_w As to your diet, the foods that jump out at me immediately are the bananas, raisins and honey. These contain quite a lot of carbs and I am quite sure I couldn't eat them without raising my blood sugars more than I like. Even milk (especially low-fat milk) and chick peas might be a problem.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, do you have a carb total that you are aiming at?

I notice that you are on several meds, including Gliclazide, so you would need to drop your carbs slowly and watch out for hypos. Have your health team given you any advice on reducing medication if you get your blood glucose down lower?

Like the others, I think there are quite a few carbs in your menu, and you may not realise how much they mount up.
Personally, the protein/milk drink, banana, raisins, honey and chick peas would be problematic for me - but I aim for very low carb, and you may be aiming for exactly what you are eating. And that is fine.

But if you are hungry a lot, and your blood glucose is higher than you would like, it sounds like a bit of tweaking would help.
Firstly, the hunger. Protein and fat satiate hunger. You don't have to go wild, but just adding mayo to salad, or butter to veg, or increasing your fish portion by a couple of ounces can make a world of difference.

Also, your carb choices are mainly quick release. milk, banana, raisins (20g of carbs per 25g of raisin, I think!) and honey will all dump their glucose quickly, your blood glucose will rise and fall quickly, and as it falls, it often triggers hunger. Choosing slower release carbs (nuts and seeds, dark 70% choc, or a slice of cheese) as snacks could make a huge difference to you.

Whenever I feel hungry or carb craving, I have taught myself to reach straight for the kettle and make a cup of coffee with a dash of cream. It works like a charm.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I right in thinking from something you said on another thread that you have taken yourself off the Gliclazide?
Did your doctor agree to this?
Gliclazide works by stimulating your pancreas to produce more insulin. Maybe you still need it?

I apologise if I am mistaken about you coming off your meds.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear - all that sugar and carbs - you really need to remove all those high carb foods and then you should see your blood glucose levels reducing.