"Rebound" Blood sugar after stopping gliclazide?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Because I was doing pretty well in managing my blood sugar level, my GP decided to discontinue it in January this year, she'd previously reduced it from 80 to 40mg and my HbA1C results were good and had fallen into pre-diabetic range.
Since ceasing medication my BS has shown a steady rise. My running average was 7.05 mmol/l when I stopped the meds, but now after a month it has risen to 7.26 mmol/l. My pre/post prandial readings are showing the same differences at about +/- 2mmol/l, but my base level is obviously well up.
The only reference I've been able to find regarding a rebound effect is in a document published by NHS - Sheffield Clinical Commissioning Group and all that says is one simple statement to the effect that on cessation of gliclazide a rebound rise in glucose levels can sometimes be seen.
My question is - has anyone any experience of a 'rebound' after ceasing gliclazide and how long does the ramping up take to level off?

upload_2018-2-20_21-4-32.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-20_21-1-30.png
    upload_2018-2-20_21-1-30.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi my friend
Gliclzaide Exactly increased insulin production is described. I think it's not compatible with all the people I personally stopped for three months

I did not notice a difference. I notice a difference only when I do not stick to diet

Edit
Yesterday my FBG = 166mg/dl
Today my FBG = 117mg/dl

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cut glic out at a time I also tried 24hr fasting ( dinner to dinner)
My sugars were initially fine and ketones were in the nutritional ketosis ball park area.
After a couple of days tho my sugars started to go up despite catbs being v low. BG and sugars continued to increase reaching a high of 13/14 ( previously 4-6) as did ketones which reached a high of 7. At that point I felt pretty unwell and reverted back to taking gliclazide alongside 30-50g carbs.
It took 2 and a bit weeks for my sugars to settle back down.
How much the withdrawl of gliclazide or the change in diet was the main cause of the problem I dont know, but whatever was to blame it was b***** unpleasant and not something Ill repeat in a hurry

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cut glic out at a time I also tried 24hr fasting ( dinner to dinner)
My sugars were initially fine and ketones were in the nutritional ketosis ball park area.
After a couple of days tho my sugars started to go up despite catbs being v low. BG and sugars continued to increase reaching a high of 13/14 ( previously 4-6) as did ketones which reached a high of 7. At that point I felt pretty unwell and reverted back to taking gliclazide alongside 30-50g carbs.
It took 2 and a bit weeks for my sugars to settle back down.
How much the withdrawl of gliclazide or the change in diet was the main cause of the problem I dont know, but whatever was to blame it was b***** unpleasant and not something Ill repeat in a hurry
Similar experience to me although I found my balance with slightly higher carbs at 70 - 80g spread over 3 meals and a small supper - I've been on this regime for 7 years now with no changes