Recent mmol results

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Guilty of not monitoring blood sugar levels for a while but felt ok. Last 7 days feeling tired, thirsty and a little dizzy from time to time. Think I’m also getting a cough so maybe a little under the weather Only thing I have done differently is had a drink being Christmas etc..... Just took blood sugar level and it was 22.8 mmol which is after eating nearly 4.5 hrs ago. I’m T2. Weight not changed for about 6 months Any ideas. I really can’t get to grips with this.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi jayCee10, did you confirm that reading by washing your hands and re testing ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It would seem you have lost your control due to not testing. 22.8 is very high, which is most likely why you are tired, thirsty and dizzy. You need to drink plenty of water to try and get that level down, and don't eat any carbs until it is well down

What is your diet like?

Reactions: Garway

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi jayCee10, did you confirm that reading by washing your hands and re testing ?
Retested and got 22.1. When I put this number in a chart it came back as 4.2 so now I’m not confident in what chart I should be looking at. 22.1 was mmol result.

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It would seem you have lost your control due to not testing. 22.8 is very high, which is most likely why you are tired, thirsty and dizzy. You need to drink plenty of water to try and get that level down, and don't eat any carbs until it is well down

What is your diet like?
Diet is basically non existent although I don’t eat much but maybe pick more. Breakfast was a yoghurt and then at 1200 on the way home had a McDonald kids meal of 4 chicken nuggets and some fries. Haven’t eaten since. Dinner tonight will be a cheese and ham turkey burger and mash. I’ve really lost my way. Can’t get in to any routine as I work a 2 early, 2 late then 2 off rotating shift pattern.

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Also taking metformin sr 500mg twice a day with a gliclazide tablet twice a day before a meal but then sometimes I forget to,take this tablet. I’ve truly lost the plot.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diet is basically non existent although I don’t eat much but maybe pick more. Breakfast was a yoghurt and then at 1200 on the way home had a McDonald kids meal of 4 chicken nuggets and some fries. Haven’t eaten since. Dinner tonight will be a cheese and ham turkey burger and mash. I’ve really lost my way. Can’t get in to any routine as I work a 2 early, 2 late then 2 off rotating shift pattern.

Hi @JayCee10,

Good that your blood sugars are coming down a bit, but they are still very high. I would suggest that you have the cheese, ham, turkey burger tonight, but not the bun and not the mash as these are high carb and will cause your blood sugars to rise again. Also keep drinking plenty of water.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Retested and got 22.1. When I put this number in a chart it came back as 4.2 so now I’m not confident in what chart I should be looking at. 22.1 was mmol result.

I'm not at all sure what you mean by this or why you would enter it in a chart?

Good that your levels are dropping.

Anything in double figures (mmol/l) is too high, and over 20 is very high. If you eat any carbs whilst this high you could make yourself very, very poorly, especially if it is your burger and mash. As @ziggy_w suggests, just eat the meat and not the bread and mash.

Reactions: ziggy_w

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Reading now 19.9 mmol 5 hours after eating

You mentioned that you are feeling under the weather, that can certainly cause higher levels as your body attempts to fight off the infection. But the main culprit is sure to be the chicken nuggets and fries. I would follow Bluetit1802's advice to get your numbers down, some gentle excersise will also help

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @JayCee10,

Good that your blood sugars are coming down a bit, but they are still very high. I would suggest that you have the cheese, ham, turkey burger tonight, but not the bun and not the mash as these are high carb and will cause your blood sugars to rise again. Also keep drinking plenty of water.

It’s not a bun but in breadcrumbs 17.7 g carbs of which 2.2 g of carbs are sugar. it’s a ham and cheese turkey escalopes and they’re small and I was only having one of them. Nothing much else I can eat this evening as need to shop but also trying to eat what’s available as going away on the 21st Jan till 5th Feb. Would just eating weight watchers meals help me?

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It’s not a bun but in breadcrumbs 17.7 g carbs of which 2.2 g of carbs are sugar. it’s a ham and cheese turkey escalopes and they’re small and I was only having one of them. Nothing much else I can eat this evening as need to shop but also trying to eat what’s available as going away on the 21st Jan till 5th Feb. Would just eating weight watchers meals help me?

Thank you for your reply. I think the safest bet is probably soup for tonight. My throat is a little sore now and I am definitely developing a cough so it could be why I’m feeling unwell as well.

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thank you for your response. Also earlier this year I had a problem with a gall stone blocking my bile duct which developed into biliary sepsis and it affected my pancreas so I may have damage there but it’s not being treated since they removed the gallstone. This has happened 7 years after gallbladder removal.

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not at all sure what you mean by this or why you would enter it in a chart?

Good that your levels are dropping.

Anything in double figures (mmol/l) is too high, and over 20 is very high. If you eat any carbs whilst this high you could make yourself very, very poorly, especially if it is your burger and mash. As @ziggy_w suggests, just eat the meat and not the bread and mash.

Because the reading was 22.1 and 22.8 mmol I had to put it in an online chart which converted the reading to hba1c which gave it a reading of 4.8 approx

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Because the reading was 22.1 and 22.8 mmol I had to put it in an online chart which converted the reading to hba1c which gave it a reading of 4.8 approx

Thank you for your time I do appreciate it. New year resolution is to think of myself for a change. Will buy in anything that will reduce levels and sustain.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @JayCee10,

It doesn't matter to us diabetics whether the carbs are from sugar or starch -- the effect on blood sugar is pretty much the same. Would it be possible for you to remove the crumbs?

Soup might be a good option too -- depending on the number of carbs in the soup. Generally, the number of carbs is reported per 100g, but be aware that most cans of soups might contain as much as 400g.

You also say that your pancreas might have been affected by a biliary sepsis. Have you talked to your GP about this? It might a good idea to get the function of pancreas checked out.

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @JayCee10,

It doesn't matter to us diabetics whether the carbs are from sugar or starch -- the effect on blood sugar is pretty much the same. Would it be possible for you to remove the crumbs?

Soup might be a good option too -- depending on the number of carbs in the soup. Generally, the number of carbs is reported per 100g, but be aware that most cans of soups might contain as much as 400g.

You also say that your pancreas might have been affected by a biliary sepsis. Have you talked to your GP about this? It might a good idea to get the function of pancreas checked out.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Ah I see. This is the correct converter https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
Your finger prick test converts to an estimated HbA1c of 146mmol/mol although this is obviously not an accurate estimate as the two tests are not really comparable and are measuring different things.

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think I’ll contact the diabetic nurse as it’s been over 6 months since she’s called me in. She will hopefully forward me to the hospital for a pancreas check.
Ah I see. This is the correct converter https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
Your finger prick test converts to an estimated HbA1c of 146mmol/mol although this is obviously not an accurate estimate as the two tests are not really comparable and are measuring different things.

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for the conversion chart which now means a reading of 16 which is higher than I’ve ever been. Normally was 9-11. Definitely speak to diabetic nurse tomorrow.

Reactions: lindijanice