Recently Diagnosed Type 2 BG 24!

Li4m79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys.. I'd cut my finger at work a couple of weeks ago and jokingly got a type 1 buddy of mine to run my glucose levels. !He did, and I was up at 18+ he was shocked. So I gave it a couple if days tested my levels again and was still at 18. !time for the Docs I thought. At the DR's I hit 24. Straight away I was told I had diabetes. Was told he's certain its Type 2 and put me on Gilpizide just now to lower my levels. !The Dr was a tad confused though as I'm only 37, not overweight and showed no symtoms at all. I'm also on statins due to having high cholesterol readings in my blood tests... So a double whammy.

I have read up quite a bit and this forum and the people in seem to be a font of information and support so I'm glad to be a part of it.

After 3 days on tablets my BG had gone down to 14 and I go back on Thursday which will be 9days since diagnosis.

I have looked at the LCHF diet, would that be suitable with having high cholesterol levels?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. From what you say you are more likely to be a Late onset T1 (LADA or T1.5) than T2. The pointers are young age and being slim. The Glipizide is typically of more use anyway than the more usual Metformin so it looks like the GP did the right thing. There are two tests for T1 i.e. the GAD test and c-peptide although the treatment routes are similar with some tablet differences. Yes, do keep the carbs down and buy yourself a glucose meter. The SD Codefree on the web is low cost. The low-carb diet may not change your total cholesterol but should improve the LDL, HDL and Trig ratios which are important - the total isn't. When you receive the cholesterol breakdown at your next HBA1c blood test/review with the GP (within 3 months) and if the ratios are good you may be able to reduce or even stop the statins.