Recently Diagnosed Type 2- enjoyed Devon scone with clotted cream at weekend

yolageen

Hi. I was diagnosed type 2 last Sept, with HbA1C of 7.3. Retest in Dec showed decrease to 6.4. Since diagnosis I have lost 2st 10lbs, and want to lose another 2st 8lbs to allow 'wriggle room'. So far so good.
I went to Devon a couple of weekends ago and succumbed to the temptation of a devon scone, laden with clotted cream and strawberry jam. Def not on my diet list! Very high carb and high fat, but a one off! Still I used the logic that if I was going to high carb I needed the high fat to offset it! Whether my reasoning was correct or not, it was glorious, and because of exercise undertaken I was still within my net calorie intake for the day.
That said I have ordered a codefree meter so I can be a bit more scientific if I lapse again.
next HbA1C bloods due to be tested this week.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
So did you put the cream or jam on first? :D

Reactions: 2 people

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well low carbs is not NO carbs...;) I get my favourite rice dumpling or ramen once in a while. But the craving has since subsided...

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
OOH!!!! scones cream and jam :hungry: Not thinking about this going to go and do washing to take my mind of it.:)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @yolageen

Welcome to the forum. I was having a chuckle to myself as like nearly everyone else I was distracted by the scones, jam and cream.

Congratulations on the improvement in you HbA1c and weight loss. I'm glad to see you have a meter coming because it really gives you the ability to control and improve your levels and diet. What sort of diet have you being following to lose your weight and are you sticking with that to loose that extra weight you are aiming for?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I suppose not having a meter to hand can at times be useful as they say ignorance is bliss. Having been brought up in Devon cream teas where a regular item on the menu.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once you get a meter, treats are scary! I am tryingbto do lchf and test 2 hours after every meal. My results are usually between 7 and 9, the occasional 10. It's a work in progress! However, last weekend I had - for the first time since diagnisis - a treat lunch of homemade pizza. I ate two slices. 2 hours later my reading was 15.3!

It was delicious though ;)

Reactions: 6 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Toomanycrisps, try this one, delicious and you should be able to eat half of it with no serious spike.

http://yourlighterside.com/2012/02/easy-pizza-crust/

Yolageen, to get the same pleasure for hardly any pain, take a thin slice off the top of a single scone (quickly give the rest to somebody else or immediately throw in the bin, cover in a layer of fresh strawberries, pile up with extra thick double cream, (check carbs on purchase). Hardly a cheat at all, strawberries are low carb for a fruit, your double cream will be unsweetened (often in tea shops it is sweetened), and the slither of scone should do only minor damage.

It has been a steep learning curve for me, learning to throw things away, brought up to 'clear my plate' and never waste (I'm an artist with leftovers), I keep reminding myself, better in the bin than in my blood!

Reactions: 7 people

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You can still have scones on a low carb diet
Alternatively, forget the scone and the jam and just eat the clotted cream. I have seriously done this - to shocked comments of "you'll get fat" and "surely you shouldn't with your diabetes" from the jam- and scone-scoffers being frugal with the clotted cream around me.

Sometimes LCHF is deeply satisfying.:cool:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alternatively, forget the scone and the jam and just eat the clotted cream. I have seriously done this - to shocked comments of "you'll get fat" and "surely you shouldn't with your diabetes" from the jam- and scone-scoffers being frugal with the clotted cream around me.

Sometimes LCHF is deeply satisfying.:cool:

Yes,
I have always viewed bread and scones and stuff as more of a vehicle, than the main event.
:D

Reactions: 6 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I've always resisted the urge to bake with 'alternative flours' mainly to do with sugar substitutes that I want to avoid, I'm still not sure that artificial sweeteners are okay. We used to use Sucralose occasionally but I try to avoid anything artificial, what's the latest thinking on that? What's the 'least worst' alternative?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have terrible issues with the synthetic chemically sweeteners - yuck, both to flavour and their effect on my body. But I am fine with both xylitol and erythritol. You can't call any of them 'natural' (although some people try), but I find my body tolerates them without any symptoms at all.
Stevia (also touted as 'natural' just tastes foul to me. lol)

Plus, of course, it is in the portion sizes and frequency.
I bake about 6 times a year. So I am hardly a heavy user! :D
Would never have LC cake or biscuits every day - that just replaces one addiction with another. ;)

Reactions: 5 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a low carber but if I went to Devon I'd have cream tea too.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
So glad you enjoyed your treat. As a one off it should not affect the average over 8 - 12 weeks, which is what I am told HBa1C is supposed to measure. Getting a meter was the best thing that I did, I have found what I can eat, and been surprised. I have also found what I can't and been able to find a common factor, then working backwards what had caused the rise in blood sugar to get the diagnosis. In 8 weeks I knew more about my blood sugars than the DN did after 6 months.

Well done with the weight loss, I thought I had done well but you have done brilliantly. Good luck.

yolageen

So glad you enjoyed your treat. As a one off it should not affect the average over 8 - 12 weeks, which is what I am told HBa1C is supposed to measure. Getting a meter was the best thing that I did, I have found what I can eat, and been surprised. I have also found what I can't and been able to find a common factor, then working backwards what had caused the rise in blood sugar to get the diagnosis. In 8 weeks I knew more about my blood sugars than the DN did after 6 months.

Well done with the weight loss, I thought I had done well but you have done brilliantly. Good luck.
Thanks for the congrats.

yolageen

Hi @yolageen

Welcome to the forum. I was having a chuckle to myself as like nearly everyone else I was distracted by the scones, jam and cream.

Congratulations on the improvement in you HbA1c and weight loss. I'm glad to see you have a meter coming because it really gives you the ability to control and improve your levels and diet. What sort of diet have you being following to lose your weight and are you sticking with that to loose that extra weight you are aiming for?

Thanks for the response.
I am following a calorie control diet of 1200 cals a day., of which targets are 150gm carb, (max 30gm sugar), 40gm fat and 60g protein. I am normally below the 150 and 40 figs though. I am doing it through my fitness pal, and aiming to lose between 1 to 2 lbs a week. My target is to be in the middle of the ok bmi range for my height.
I have been reading the forum since diagnosis and picked up general hints and tips. For now I don't want to go down the low carb diet route, but have switched to lower gi carbs.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Thanks for the response.
I am following a calorie control diet of 1200 cals a day., of which targets are 150gm carb, (max 30gm sugar), 40gm fat and 60g protein. I am normally below the 150 and 40 figs though. I am doing it through my fitness pal, and aiming to lose between 1 to 2 lbs a week. My target is to be in the middle of the ok bmi range for my height.
I have been reading the forum since diagnosis and picked up general hints and tips. For now I don't want to go down the low carb diet route, but have switched to lower gi carbs.
I would stick with that as it has been working so well for you. You still are flying blind though without being able to test your levels so when you get the meter you can test before and after meals to check what sort of spike you get from those meals and change them if necessary. Let us know when you are testing and if you have any questions when you get it.