Recently Diagnosed

mabrahams

I am assuming I am type 2Very rushed appoint with doc as she was running late(not blaming Dr by any means)Told my HBA1C was 80 and starting me on metformin.I do have an appoint with the diabetic nurse in 2 weeks.so hopefully it will all make sense.I now understand why I’ve been feeling so run down,thirsty all the time,mood swings and other rather uncomfortable symptoms.started a low cal/low carb diet by OMG is this hard.I have a very very Sweet tooth and the cravings are bad.Between the diet and no sugar,new medication ,it’s driving me insane and it’s making me feel lousy .Any tips on fighting this tiredness,nausea etc.advice would be much appreciated.Thank You

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. You will get loads of advice here and someone will post a link to the welcome pack.

Your tiredness etc will diminish as you get your blood sugar under control. In fact, you probably don't realise just how awful you are feeling until you start to get better.

DO NOT COUNT CALORIES! Yes, I shouted that. Ignore calories. Count carbs only. Everything you learned about dieting throughout your life goes out of the window as from right now!

Google fat bombs. Google keto biscuits. Google keto snacks. Look at the dietdoctor.com website.

Reactions: NDP

mabrahams

Welcome to the forum. You will get loads of advice here and someone will post a link to the welcome pack.

Your tiredness etc will diminish as you get your blood sugar under control. In fact, you probably don't realise just how awful you are feeling until you start to get better.

DO NOT COUNT CALORIES! Yes, I shouted that. Ignore calories. Count carbs only. Everything you learned about dieting throughout your life goes out of the window as from right now!

Google fat bombs. Google keto biscuits. Google keto snacks. Look at the dietdoctor.com website.

Thank you.I will look up these sites.Theres so much to learn.Glad I found this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't bother spending money on recipe books. There are thousands of recipes online for free. Check that the carb count for the recipe has the correct number of carbs for you (when you decide what your personal level should be).

There is a useful app called copymethat where you can copy any recipe you find on the internet into the app and keep all your recipes together. I bought several "diabetic" cook books. All but a couple are rubbish and far to high in carbs for me.

If you like pizza, lookup fat head dough.

If you like indian, lookup headbangerskitchen.com.

Once you get your head around things, the choices are endless. And yummy.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: xfieldok

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Congratulations on your dr recommending a low carb diet. The OMG diet appears extreme and can't say I have seen the science to support it other than the benefits we get from low carb high fat or keto diet. If your going to do intermittent fasting, which I would strongly recommend, I would suggest you ease yourself into it. Go Keto first and have three meals a day until you stop feeling hungry, which is when your body burns fat for energy. You can then start skipping one meal a day and then condensing the other two meals into say an 8 hour or less window. You will lose weight, get rid of the visceral fat that's making you insulin resistant and rejuvenate your liver and pancreas.
I am assuming I am type 2Very rushed appoint with doc as she was running late(not blaming Dr by any means)Told my HBA1C was 80 and starting me on metformin.I do have an appoint with the diabetic nurse in 2 weeks.so hopefully it will all make sense.I now understand why I’ve been feeling so run down,thirsty all the time,mood swings and other rather uncomfortable symptoms.started a low cal/low carb diet by OMG is this hard.I have a very very Sweet tooth and the cravings are bad.Between the diet and no sugar,new medication ,it’s driving me insane and it’s making me feel lousy .Any tips on fighting this tiredness,nausea etc.advice would be much appreciated.Thank You

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
it’s driving me insane and it’s making me feel lousy .Any tips on fighting this tiredness,nausea etc.advice would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum.

At least you now know what has been causing you to feel lousy. By cutting out the sugar, getting on to a healthy diet and exercise you will slowly feel better in yourself.

Good Luck

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said going with the low-carb diet is fine but forget you ever heard of calories. They are irrelevant for the food you eat - only the energy you expend in exercise etc. Ignore the traffic light labelling nonsense on the front of packs and look at the carbs etc in the small print on the back; we live in a mad world.