Recipe Inspiration Please

ElloBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I am not diabetic but am a member of this forum due to previous research I have done for my University dissertations.

If you wouldn’t mind, I could really use some help finding vegetarian dishes that are safe for type 2 diabetics - I’m preferably thinking a pie or something like that.

My neighbours have been helping me out a lot during the coronavirus pandemic in various ways - doing things like simply talking to me everyday over the hedge (I live alone, so this really keeps me sane), always asking if I need anything each time they do food shops, and one even gave me an easter egg because they knew I wouldn’t be able to see my family due to lockdown. So to say thank you I have made a cake for one of the neighbours and I would like to do something similar for my other neighbour but he is type 2 diabetic and won’t touch desserts etc, so the last thing I want to do is be insensitive and make him a cake he can’t even eat ‍♀️ He makes everything from scratch to keep his sugars down. So if anyone could share with me some vegetarian dishes for type 2s that could easily be given as a gift, I’d be really, really grateful!! Thanks so much ☺️

Keep safe!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi all,

I am not diabetic but am a member of this forum due to previous research I have done for my University dissertations.

If you wouldn’t mind, I could really use some help finding vegetarian dishes that are safe for type 2 diabetics - I’m preferably thinking a pie or something like that.

My neighbours have been helping me out a lot during the coronavirus pandemic in various ways - doing things like simply talking to me everyday over the hedge (I live alone, so this really keeps me sane), always asking if I need anything each time they do food shops, and one even gave me an easter egg because they knew I wouldn’t be able to see my family due to lockdown. So to say thank you I have made a cake for one of the neighbours and I would like to do something similar for my other neighbour but he is type 2 diabetic and won’t touch desserts etc, so the last thing I want to do is be insensitive and make him a cake he can’t even eat ‍♀️ He makes everything from scratch to keep his sugars down. So if anyone could share with me some vegetarian dishes for type 2s that could easily be given as a gift, I’d be really, really grateful!! Thanks so much ☺️

Keep safe!

Thanks for the tag @Goonergal ,

What a lovely idea! Pies can be a bit problematic for type 2 diabetics that are controlling their blood sugar levels through diet. If i were you i would do a Google search for low carb cakes - they are mostly made with almond flours. A good place to start looking at suitable recipes is www.dietdoctor.com

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you Google keto pastry you will find some recipes. I have not tried them.

Reactions: Chook

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just make sure you tell your neighbour what's in whatever you'll be making. If he is on insulin and you make something which looks carb-heavy but actually isn't, things may turn out, erm, interesting. (Don't ask how I know :bag:)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't use xylitol sweetener if you or your neighbour have furbabirs. Toxic to dogs, I won't have it in the house.

Last edited: