Approved Recruiting 18 Participants: An online, self-compassion intervention for adults with Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
An online, compassion intervention for adults with Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T1DM; T2DM)

What is the aim?
My name is Hetashi and I am a Trainee Clinical Psychologist. As part of my research, we are exploring whether a four-week Compassionate Mind Training can help reduce experiences of diabetes distress, shame and self-criticism.

We are looking for:
  • Adults over 18 who have had Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus for more than a year.
  • Adults who would identify as experiencing diabetes distress, shame or self-criticism in relation to their Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis.
  • Adults who are self-managing their Diabetes in the UK.
  • Adults not currently accessing psychological therapy.
  • Adults not currently in mental health crisis/distress or experiencing thoughts of deliberate self-harm or suicide.
What will it involve?
  • You will be asked to complete a set of questionnaires three times (every four weeks).
  • You will be given access to complete the Compassionate Mind Training, once a week for four weeks. This involves watching a weekly 30 minute video. There is also an audio to practise what you learnt and a short summary to read.
How do I sign up?

Click the below link to find out more about this research project and sign up:
https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34

What happens next?
  1. After reading the information sheet on the above link and signing the consent form, you will be asked some screening questions to make sure you are eligible to take part in the project.
  2. You will then be asked to complete the first set of questionnaires.
  3. After completing the questionnaires, you will be allocated to either the intervention group or control group.
If you are allocated to the intervention group, you will be given access to the Compassionate Mind Training immediately, which you should try to complete within four weeks. You will then be asked to complete the questionnaires two more times.

If you are allocated to the control group, you will be given access to the Compassionate Mind Training after completing the questionnaires two more times.

What is the benefit for me?

Participation in this research means you will have access to free Compassionate Mind Training and you could win a £25 Amazon voucher.

If you have any questions, please email the researcher: [email protected].

This study has received ethical approval and this study has been approved for posting on this forum by the diabetes.co.uk Board.

Attachments

• MRP Extended Poster (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Diabetes&Compassion , welcome to the forum.

I have a question (not as a moderator, just as a member).
If you are looking if this training can help reduce experiences of diabetes distress, shame, self-criticism, isn't there something important missing in the list of what you are looking for?
We are looking for:
  • Adults over 18 who have had Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus for more than a year.
  • Adults not currently in mental health crisis/distress or experiencing thoughts of deliberate self-harm or suicide.
I suppose you need participants who actually experience diabetes distress, shame and/or self-criticism, or it would be very hard to measure any improvement.

Of course there are many diabetics who are experiencing those feelings, but please don't assume all of us do.
I think there are many members of all diabetes types on this forum who mostly experience feelings like empowerment, confidence, growth in relation to their diabetes. Not in the least because of the support and tools they found on the forum.

I know I experience those positives in relation to my diabetes, even though I'm prone to distress, shame, self-criticism, depression, anxiety in general life. Diabetes is mostly a mild annoyance for me, and not something that causes the gloom you mention.
But the way you worded your request suggests it should be, because it overlooks the possibility that it isn't.

I think you might find this subforum interesting, it shows the empowerment many people experience: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/
Or this thread, with a strong message: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dont-involve-yourself-in-the-blame-game.21894/

Good luck with your research, I hope it can help many diabetics who are struggling!

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism

If you are looking if this training can help reduce experiences of diabetes distress, shame, self-criticism, isn't there something important missing in the list of what you are looking for?

I suppose you need participants who actually experience diabetes distress, shame and/or self-criticism, or it would be very hard to measure any improvement.

Of course there are many diabetics who are experiencing those feelings, but please don't assume all of us do.
I think there are many members of all diabetes types on this forum who mostly experience feelings like empowerment, confidence, growth in relation to their diabetes. Not in the least because of the support and tools they found on the forum.

I know I experience those positives in relation to my diabetes, even though I'm prone to distress, shame, self-criticism, depression, anxiety in general life. Diabetes is mostly a mild annoyance for me, and not something that causes the gloom you mention.
But the way you worded your request suggests it should be, because it overlooks the possibility that it isn't.

I think you might find this subforum interesting, it shows the empowerment many people experience: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/
Or this thread, with a strong message: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dont-involve-yourself-in-the-blame-game.21894/

Good luck with your research, I hope it can help many diabetics who are struggling!

Thank you for saying that, because I've already started to think that maybe something is wrong with me if I've never experienced stress or psychological problems due to my diabetes :hilarious:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for saying that, because I've already started to think that maybe something is wrong with me if I've never experienced stress or psychological problems due to my diabetes :hilarious:
Glad to see I wasn't the only one being a bit triggered by this, despite being sure it wasn't meant that way!

• Friendly
Reactions: Diabetes&Compassion
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello Antje77,

Thank you for the warm welcome to the forum, its great to be a part of the community.

Thank you so much for your reply, you've pointed out something really important that I have missed in my message with regards to looking for people who would like to reduce feelings of shame or self-criticism, if they experience this. It's really useful to have your feedback and I will of course make sure that I update this, which will also be in line with the poster, so that it is as clear as possible.

I wanted to also thank you for sharing the sub-forum and thread with me which are both really important for me to take note of.

Once again, thank you for the well wishes with the project. I hope the research project can too support people with diabetes who would like to take part.

Reactions: Antje77

peromingoj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
An online, compassion intervention for adults with Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T1DM; T2DM)

What is the aim?
My name is Hetashi and I am a Trainee Clinical Psychologist. As part of my research, we are exploring whether a four-week Compassionate Mind Training can help reduce experiences of diabetes distress, shame, self-criticism.

We are looking for:
  • Adults who would identify as experiencing shame or self-criticism in relation to their Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis.
What will it involve?
  • You will be asked to complete a set of questionnaires three times (every four weeks).
  • You will be given access to complete the Compassionate Mind Training, once a week for four weeks. This involves watching a weekly 30 minute video. There is also an audio to practise what you learnt and a short summary to read.
How do I sign up?

What happens next?
  1. After reading the information sheet on the above link and signing the consent form, you will be asked some screening questions to make sure you are eligible to take part in the project.
  3. After completing the questionnaires, you will be allocated to either the intervention group or control group.
If you are allocated to the intervention group, you will be given access to the Compassionate Mind Training immediately, which you should try to complete within four weeks. You will then be asked to complete the questionnaires two more times.

If you are allocated to the control group, you will be given access to the Compassionate Mind Training after completing the questionnaires two more times.

Participation in this research means you will have access to free Compassionate Mind Training and you could win a £25 Amazon voucher.

This study has received ethical approval and this study has been approved for posting on this forum by the diabetes.co.uk Board.
I tried to sign up for your research but I was rejected as I live in Spain. What a great research question! I will share this with diabetic friends and family in the UK as I completely understand how difficult it is to get participants for research.

Best of luck

Reactions: Diabetes&Compassion
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you so much for your message and many apologies that for this time the project is only open to those in the UK.

That would be amazing if you were able to share with people you know, thank you so so much!

• Hug
Reactions: peromingoj
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Update: I am looking for around 51 more people to participate in the research project which involves a self-compassion intervention and three questionnaires. If you meet the criteria and would like to participate, please sign up at: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34

We are looking for:
  • Adults who would identify as experiencing diabetes distress, shame or self-criticism in relation to their Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis.
What will it involve?

Attachments

• Aug 2023 MRP Poster.png
    Aug 2023 MRP Poster.png
    616.5 KB · Views: 98
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Recruiting 40 Participants:

What is the aim?
My name is Hetashi and I am a Trainee Clinical Psychologist. As part of my research, we are exploring whether a four-week Compassionate Mind Training can help reduce experiences of diabetes distress, shame and self-criticism.

We are looking for:
What will it involve?
How do I sign up?

What happens next?

Attachments

• Aug 2023 MRP Poster.png
    Aug 2023 MRP Poster.png
    616.5 KB · Views: 96

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I note that Diabetes (.org) UK is investigating something similar.

"Recent research within Diabetes UK has shown that 8 out of 10 people living with or at risk of diabetes have experienced stigma because of their condition."

I shall hopefully be taking part in some discussions, and am intrigued because I have never (knowingly) experienced any stigma because of my diabetes.

Then again, I am one of the 20% of normal weight/slim diabetics.
So only close acquaintances are likely to know that I am T2.
The 80% figure seems to tally with the figure of 80% of T2 diabetics being over weight or obese on diagnosis.
[Noting that 80% of overweight/obese people don't become T2 diabetic.]
So are we really looking at fat shaming which may be far more widespread, but which is also experienced by people who go on to develop T2?

Noting that I expect T1s, especially those diagnosed at a young age, to feel far more discriminated against in their school years.

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @LittleGreyCat,

It's great to hear you'll hopefully be part of discussions, the work DUK research is doing so valuable and I've also been keeping an eye on this. It is interesting to explore as I myself wonder about the links between stigma, shame and self-criticism.

From the element of my study, shame is considered either as external shame (i.e. comments from others) or internal shame (i.e. our own judgements), both of which may be subjective to the individual.

• Friendly
Reactions: Pipp
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Recruiting 35 Participants:

We are looking for:
What will it involve?
How do I sign up?

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am still recruiting for my research project and looking for around 35 more people with either Type 1 Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes to take part in an online, compassion intervention.

If you're interested and meet the criteria (below), please do sign up: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34

We are looking for:
What will it involve?

Thank you so much :)

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am still recruiting for my research project and looking for around 30 more people with either Type 1 Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes to take part in an online, compassion intervention.

If you're interested and meet the criteria (below), please do sign up: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34

We are looking for:
What will it involve?

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am still recruiting for my research project and looking for around 28 more people with either Type 1 Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes to take part in an online, compassion intervention.

We are looking for:
What will it involve?

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am still recruiting for my research project and looking for around 22 more people with either Type 1 Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes to take part in an online, compassion intervention.

We are looking for:
What will it involve?

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I will soon be updating when the last opportunity to participate is for this project.

I am still looking for around 20 more people to participate in the research project which involves a self-compassion intervention and three questionnaires. If you meet the criteria and would like to participate, please sign up at:

Thank you to everyone for your time and participation :)

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I will soon be updating when the last opportunity to participate is for this project.

I am still looking for around 18 more people to participate in the research project which involves a self-compassion intervention and three questionnaires. If you meet the criteria and would like to participate, please sign up at:

Thank you to everyone for your time and participation :)

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What I need is compassion and understanding from health care professionals and the media.
Thank you so much for sharing this. I totally agree, so much has to change because the lack of compassion can leave people feeling deflated. I really appreciate you sharing this and I hope that in the near future, more is done to change the lack of compassion experienced in healthservices and media.

Reactions: zand