GD Recurrent urinary tract infection

Akayy

Type of diabetes
Gestational
I'm nearly 30 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes few days ago.( missed my ogtt appointments 2weeks due to work commitment). But in the last month I noticed symptoms of uti and was given antibiotics with good response. However, days after the course infection returns and I'm back on meds. I was on the fourth course at the time ogtt revealed the diabetes and it all made sense!
Now the course is over, I've started monitoring my BS , trying to get a balance with my food choices. But, I'm really worried that before I get things better controlled this infection may return.
Has anyone had an experience like mine? How soon did BS control halt these reoccurrences and any suggestions on how you dealt with it? Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Akayy Getting your sugars under control should help enormously. I also recommend drinking plenty of water. Pregnancy itself can cause urinary issues, especially in the third trimester when it's more difficult to fully empty the bladder.

So I would hope a combination of blood sugar control and careful attention to hydration and bladder emptying would keep the infection at bay. I know how horrible they are, so I sympathise. X

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Akayy - I'm not T1, nor have I ever had a pregnancy, but how long it takes to stabilise blood sugars and what impact those have on the potential for UTIs will differ from person to person; just as some folks get every cold going and others just waltz through winter after winter unscathed.

Doing your testing and reacting to the information that gives you will help bring things into order promptly.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and confinement. Not long to go now!!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's important to know whether the infection was Candida (yeast) causing cystitis or a bacterial infection. Candida appears when there is blood sugar in the urine. The treatment is to reduce blood sugar. Bacterial infections are not directly related to diabetes and may need antibiotics and the cause investigated.

Akayy

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Thanks azure. I'm a devil for not drinking enough water! I'll definitely make an effort now.

Reactions: azure

Akayy

Type of diabetes
Gestational
@Akayy - I'm not T1, nor have I ever had a pregnancy, but how long it takes to stabilise blood sugars and what impact those have on the potential for UTIs will differ from person to person; just as some folks get every cold going and others just waltz through winter after winter unscathed.

Doing your testing and reacting to the information that gives you will help bring things into order promptly.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and confinement. Not long to go now!!!
@ AndBreathe, thanks for The advice

Akayy

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Hi. It's important to know whether the infection was Candida (yeast) causing cystitis or a bacterial infection. Candida appears when there is blood sugar in the urine. The treatment is to reduce blood sugar. Bacterial infections are not directly related to diabetes and may need antibiotics and the cause investigated.
It is bacterial alright, culture was positive and sensitivity report followed. I suppose it's a combination of a few different factors and you see glucose in urine combined with anatomical changes in pregnancy, hormones creates a favourable breeding ground for infections. Azure here raised a valid point with hydration which resonates with me a lot. Thanks for your suggestion