Red wine question

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there,

I have recently started using a Libre cgm and had a couple of red wines with dinner on Friday night. I have never really seen a jump in my sugars with red wine, but the Libre gave some interesting readings overnight.

I went to bed with sugars of about 5.8, within an hour of going to sleep they had risen to about 10 and continued to rise steeply until they got to about 15. When I woke the next morning my sugars were about 6.

From my pre-bed and waking readings, I could have assumed that I had maintained a steady sugar overnight, but how wrong I would have been!!

Maybe wine has been spiking me all of this time, without me knowing!!

Has anyone else seen similar results?

I have to say that I was probably an hour later than usual on taking my lantus at bedtime, this could also have contributed?

M

Member496333

My understanding is that alcohol slightly lowers blood glucose but that the beverage itself may then raise it several hours later when the liver has finished processing the alcohol. That said, I think red wine has a reputation for not raising blood glucose too much at all? I’m teetotal, but when I did drink, I always found it to be ok. But then I never tested during the night!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What kind of food did you have? Are you on Lantus only or on mealtime insulin as well?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not on any medication, but I do drink red wine before, during, and after my evening meal. Usually 2 glasses. I also use a Libre (part time). I do not see any rises once the expected rise from my meal has dropped. I go to bed and get up on virtually the same level, and in between I drop about 1mmol/l and stay fairly flat at that level all night.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not on any medication, but I do drink red wine before, during, and after my evening meal. Usually 2 glasses. I also use a Libre (part time). I do not see any rises once the expected rise from my meal has dropped. I go to bed and get up on virtually the same level, and in between I drop about 1mmol/l and stay fairly flat at that level all night.
You have made my day, or rather evening, as I have just opened a nice bottle of Primitivo and it was in danger of being spoiled by @Emck 's post.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if red wine reduces blood sugar in general but I know it reduces mine, because when I have red wine I don't have any beer!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What kind of food did you have? Are you on Lantus only or on mealtime insulin as well?

I had some thai food - a red curry and steamed rice. It could be a fluke! I don't drink too often, so it's my first time checking out the results of red wine! I'm on humalog and lantus - type 1.

From experience, I know that I can drink gin and slimline tonic and it's keeps a nice steady line (as does champagne, but I don't have the budget to have that as my Saturday night tipple)!

I love red wine and thought that I was good on it, hoping I can figure it out! The CGM is just showing me info that I would have never thought to check!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect it was more likely to be the food that caused the rise rather than the wine - thing is you'll have to test the theory again............and repeat until you get the results you're expecting :D

Edit to add: A G+T (slimline) can cause me to go lower!

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 oz red wine with lunch didnt harm my sugars at all after 2 hours.T2,diet controlled.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Alcohol is an odd one for me. I don't tend to see the patterns my fellow type ones see but that is nothing new with my brittle diabetes. Red wine is not one I see a reaction in but you can only take notes and see how you go going forward.

grabarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually find when I have a glass of red wine in the evening which is occasional I go to a 5.3-5 reading in the morning, seems to work better for me than Metformin.
As I don’t drink that much i would be interested in knowing the total effect over a period of time by having a glass of wine every evening.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually find when I have a glass of red wine in the evening which is occasional I go to a 5.3-5 reading in the morning, seems to work better for me than Metformin.
As I don’t drink that much i would be interested in knowing the total effect over a period of time by having a glass of wine every evening.

My nurse told me about the blood glucose lowering qualities of red wine when I was first diagnosed, over 5 years ago. She followed this with a warning that it must never be used as a medicine. ;)

StephenMM

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Running
Hi,
I have also just started using Libre and it is very illuminating. I have begun using it to establish the effects on my BG of various different foods. Whilst researching this site, I was introduced to Dr Bernstein' s Diabetes solution. If the moderators allow this you can see a quote from it here below:
SOME WORDS ABOUT ALCOHOL
Alcohol can provide calories, or energy, without directly raising blood sugar, but if you’re an insulin-dependent diabetic, you need to be cautious about drinking. Ethyl alcohol, which is the active ingredient in hard liquor, beer, and wine, has no direct effect on blood sugar because the body does not convert it into glucose.
In the case of distilled spirits and very dry wine, the alcohol generally isn’t accompanied by enough carbohydrate to affect your blood sugar very much. For example, 100-proof gin has 83 calories per ounce. These extra calories can increase your weight slightly if accompanied by carbohydrate, but not your blood sugar. Different beers—ales, stouts, and lagers—can have varying amounts of carbohydrate, which is slow enough in its action that if you figure it into your meal plan, it may not raise your blood sugar.
Mixed drinks and dessert wines can be loaded with sugar, so they’re best avoided. Exceptions would be a dry martini or mixed drinks that can be made with a sugar-free mixer, such as sugar-free tonic water.
Ethyl alcohol, however, can indirectly lower the blood sugars of some diabetics if consumed at the time of a meal. It does this by partially paralyzing the liver and thereby inhibiting gluconeogenesis so that it can’t convert enough protein from the meal into glucose. For the average adult, this appears to be a significant effect with doses greater than 1½ ounces of distilled spirits, or one standard shot glass. If you have two 1½-ounce servings of gin with a meal, your liver’s ability to convert protein into glucose may be impaired.
If you’re insulin-dependent and your calculation of how much insulin you’ll require to cover your meal is based on, say, two hot dogs, and those hot dogs don’t get 7.5 percent converted to glucose, the insulin you’ve injected will take your blood sugar too low. You’ll have hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar. The problem of hypoglycemia itself is a relatively simple matter to correct—you just eat some glucose and your blood sugar will rise. But this gets you into the kind of messy jerking up and down of your blood sugar that can cause problems. It’s best if you can avoid hypo- and hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) entirely.
Another problem with alcohol and hypoglycemia is that if you consume much alcohol, you’ll have symptoms typical of both alcohol intoxication and hypoglycemia—light-headedness, confusion, and slurring of speech. The only way you’ll know the cause of your symptoms is if you’ve been monitoring your blood sugar throughout your meal. This is unlikely. So you could find yourself thinking you’ve consumed too much alcohol when in fact your problem is dangerously low blood sugar. In such a situation, it wouldn’t even occur to you to check your blood sugar. Remember, that early blood sugar–measuring device I got was developed in order to help emergency room staffs tell the difference between unconscious alcoholics and unconscious diabetics. Don’t make yourself an unconscious diabetic. A simple oversight could turn fatal.
Many of the symptoms of alcohol intoxication mimic those of ketoacidosis, or the extreme high blood sugar and ketone buildup in the body that can result in diabetic coma. The great buildup of ketones causes a diabetic’s breath to have an aroma rather like that of someone who’s been drinking. If you don’t die of severe hypoglycemia, then you might easily die of embarrassment when you come to and your friends are aghast and terrified that the emergency squad had to be called to bring you around.
In small amounts, alcohol is relatively harmless—one glass of dry wine or “lite” beer with dinner—but if you’re the type who can’t limit drinking, it’s best to avoid it entirely. For the reasons already discussed, and contrary to the guidelines of the ADA, alcohol can be more benign between meals than it is at meals.
One benevolent effect of alcohol is that it can enable some diabetics to consume one “lite” beer or one small Bloody Mary (tomato juice mixed with an ounce and a half of vodka) without raising blood sugar.

Bernstein, Richard K.. Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars (pp. 142-144). Little, Brown and Company. Kindle Edition.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Very interesting as I've had similar issues. After your post, I realise that must get hold of a freestyle lite continuous blood glucose monitoring system. For me, there are too many variables to understand what is happening after drinking red wine with dinner, such as, the amount of protein in my meal (carbohydrates are always low <12g), the dryness of the red wine, how much red wine I've had, the exercise I've done over the past 36 hours, whether I was intermittent fasting or not etc, etc. That aside, I would like to know - like you, after drinking red wine, whether my sugar has gone up overnight before my waking appears normal. If my waking blood sugars aren't normal, I've never suspected the wine. Perhaps I should.

Last edited:

Whitmarsh

Don't have a CGM, would like one, red wine does not seem to have any downside BG wise for me, it lowers my BG quickly and although it does climb back over time there does ot seem to be a spike for me.

Reactions: Viv19