Redefining Normal - in order to sell drugs

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2014/06/diabetes-cholesterol-bp-normal-is-no-longer-normal/

This is an interesting article complete with graphs and statistics, which points out that by redefining what is normal to be at the low end of the various ranges for fundamental health parameters, we have basicall opened the path for the pharmaceutical industry to then sell us drugs to reduce our numbers to the lowest ends of each range ( and caused a huge degree on angst in the process )

Looking at this article - all of my figures are entirely "normal " and most probably very many of us on here are in the same position .

According to this article " normal " in terms of the majority of the human population is as follows :

Fasting Blood Sugar 3.3% to 7.7%

"Normal is not normal. The medical world has overruled the human population and decreed that normal is not normal. Normal is now high and people shall be treated accordingly. Now that we have pre-diabetes on top, joy of joys, we can start medicating people even sooner than our re-re-defined norm would otherwise let us drug them. (Or we can give them ‘base your meals on starchy foods’ dietary advice and speed up their pathway to type 2 diabetes.)"

Cholesterol
Normal distribution is 2-10 mmol/L

"The medical profession has redefined cholesterol to be high at the absurdly low number of 5 mmol/l (193 mg/dl). You can see from the graph that only a small proportion of the population would have a cholesterol level below 5 in normal circumstances. Indeed, if you look at government data measuring people against this made-up target – the Health Survey for England for example (summary of key findings) – we have the crazy situation (page 22) where it is noted that 80% of men and women in many age groups have cholesterol levels above the government target of 5.0 mmol/L. That’s not because 80% of people have ‘high cholesterol’, but because normal has been redefined as high so people cannot be normal any more."

Blood Pressure
true average blood pressure 140/90

"This shows that the normal blood pressure range for the general population is anywhere from 90 to 240 as the top number, with 130 being the most common reading (mode) and the average (mean) being around 140.Figure 2 is the lower number (the 90 in the 140/90) and this ranges from 50 to 130. The most common is around 85 and the average is around 90. So the true average blood pressure (BP) in the normal population is approximately 140/90. You may be aware that 140/90 is the definition of high BP. Yet again, normal has become high and now everyone who is deemed high shall be medicated, when they are in fact normal"

Height
"In the Western Journal of Medicine, (May 2002) Thomas Samaras and Harold Elrick posed the question “Height, body size and longevity – is smaller better for the human body?” The study took 100,000 males from 6 different ethnic populations – in the same city (California) to try to normalise other factors. The table had the following height orders (tallest first): African Americans; White Americans; Hispanics; Asian Indians; Chinese and Japanese (the first two groups were recorded as of equal average height – 70 inches).

The death rates for all causes and coronary heart disease (CHD) were presented in the study. A clear pattern was immediately obvious. I calculated the correlation coefficients as 0.85 for height and CHD and 0.9 for height and all causes of death (1 is a perfect relationship – scores of 0.85 and 0.9 are very strong relationships)."

"What if we concluded that height were a cause of CHD (and all causes of death) and that we should therefore redefine the average height to declare the actual average of 69.7 inches (for all American men) to be abnormal? What if we made up a new target 10% lower than the actual average and decreed that normal height should be 63 inches? We could then administer drugs to stop growth hormones from doing their job. I trust that this analogy disturbs you and yet…

The Chinese practice of foot binding – an artificial intervention in the normal development of the human body, to achieve an artificial ‘norm’ – was thankfully outlawed in the early twentieth century, but trying to reduce many other genuine human norms – from diabetes to BP – has now become common practice and big business.

Interesting stuff and well worth a read

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've said for years that BP was redefined and lowered to 120/80 on the basis of zero evidence based science and analysis of 22k hypertensive patients proved conclusively that there is no benefit to lowering below 140/90 in any single case.

It is all about money, big pharma greasing the right palms to invent new patients.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is the same with the EGFR kidney function test. This had to be under 60 to be normal. It is now under 90. As this estimated figure has the person's age is factored in and the older you get the lower the figure will be, you can be diagnosed with mild kidney disease simply because you happen to have had a birthday and because the goal posts changed.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have always had my doubts about my T2 diagnosis. I was overweight and was in most of the 'at risk' categories. Perhaps I am in denial. But yes I do think that big money is involved, same as the statins companies.
Still I'm glad that it got me to take action to control my bs levels - they aren't going to make any profits from me if I can help it! :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh! and I have just looked back at my on-line HbA1c results, which also shows the standard range for normal. They only go back to 2014. At that time "normal" was 20 to 42. It changed from that to 20 to 41 after that.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can make a contribution to this from a personal experience. I took a couple of 24 hour BP readings. DN said that since I was showing a bit of interest she would give me the official paper on BP. It clearly says that hypertension is when you never go lower than the 140/80. It does not say that if you sometimes go higher then you have high BP. I got pills for it though even though I did not qualify since I go higher/lower, have white coat syndrome etc. I am normal.

Reactions: Prem51

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh! and I have just looked back at my on-line HbA1c results, which also shows the standard range for normal. They only go back to 2014. At that time "normal" was 20 to 42. It changed from that to 20 to 41 after that.
America consider normal as no higher than 38 with 39 indicating Prediabetes. They are also far more obsessed with BP too and will medicate at over 120/80 whereas in UK unless there is a proven medical need in an individual case the majority of GPs will not medicate unless above 140/90.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thinking the earth used to be flat was normal.

How far back do you want to go?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have written in a few places on here my view that those newly diagnosed might like to think about trying diet only first before entering the drug merry go round.

One of the reasons I keep saying this is because one ends up psychologically dependent on their supposed beneficial effects.
I take blood pressure medication, it used to be three types and now two. I keep flirting with getting rid of the other two. With the drugs my bp is often around 110 /70, after a few days without it is 130/85 as soon as it creeps into 130 I panic because of all the hype and then rush back to take the drugs again. Articles like this help one realise that sure I could do better, but oftentimes the thing I am panicking about is pretty normal really absent the medication I have now come to rely on and am scared of discontinuing.

Last edited:

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@CherryAA I SO agree with you. My husband got rid of his T2D medication soon after diagnosis, but is still stuck with three out of a previous four anti-hypertensives. Every time he drops one, a few weeks later there is an increase, a panic and then back on full drugs again. The problem is that so many things affect blood pressure, it's often the first sign he has that a cold is coming on and recent jet lag ( 8 time zones) took two full weeks to settle down, so you never really know what is causing what.
I'm a firm believer in keeping well away from doctors and all their measuring devices unless there is a real need and illness! That way you never need to start on the drugs.
Sally

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the book I am reading by Dr Barry Groves, Trick or Treat - now 'healthy eating' is making us ill', he says he was at the House of Commons for a meeting when 3 Parma reps were behind him discussing about which blood pressure figures they should give the ministers when they had their meeting.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
In the book I am reading by Dr Barry Groves, Trick or Treat - now 'healthy eating' is making us ill', he says he was at the House of Commons for a meeting when 3 Parma reps were behind him discussing about which blood pressure figures they should give the ministers when they had their meeting.

Hopefully, the current ones, not the out of date ones then?
But, who knows what we'd choose if we'd been there?

Hotpepper20000

Ok so I'm going to say a few things that I know that are not very popular here.
It may be true that "big pharma" is out to make money and get more people on pills. They are business and business are there to make profit. (Profit in my opinion when done legally and morally is not a bad thing and perhaps there has been some prof that has not always been the case, I'm not going to argue that here.)
But they also do good. Where would Type one and some type2's be with out insulin? Where would we be with out chemo drugs? And antibiotics?
I don't believe in medicating when not necessary. But we can't deny that with out the years of research and money that "big pharma" spends we would all have poorer quality of life.

Reactions: douglas99

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ok so I'm going to say a few things that I know that are not very popular here.
It may be true that "big pharma" is out to make money and get more people on pills. They are business and business are there to make profit. (Profit in my opinion when done legally and morally is not a bad thing and perhaps there has been some prof that has not always been the case, I'm not going to argue that here.)
But they also do good. Where would Type one and some type2's be with out insulin? Where would we be with out chemo drugs? And antibiotics?
I don't believe in medicating when not necessary. But we can't deny that with out the years of research and money that "big pharma" spends we would all have poorer quality of life.

Poorer?
Dead is more likely.

But 'conspiracy theory' sells, just as well as drugs it appears.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CherryAA I SO agree with you. My husband got rid of his T2D medication soon after diagnosis, but is still stuck with three out of a previous four anti-hypertensives. Every time he drops one, a few weeks later there is an increase, a panic and then back on full drugs again. The problem is that so many things affect blood pressure, it's often the first sign he has that a cold is coming on and recent jet lag ( 8 time zones) took two full weeks to settle down, so you never really know what is causing what.
I'm a firm believer in keeping well away from doctors and all their measuring devices unless there is a real need and illness! That way you never need to start on the drugs.
Sally

My own husband keeps utterly away from the medical profession, even to the extent of stitching his own wounds and operating on his own eye to remove a sliver of metal ( methinks he takes it tad too far !) - mind you I should mention he was also a research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry- so maybe he knows something Idon't !

Last edited: